Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Passenger Trains > Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19


Date: 03/19/17 15:56
Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: barrydraper

Riding in style in ex-ATSF Pacific Parlor Car today.

Barry Draper




Date: 03/19/17 16:06
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: jkchubbes

Any noticeable changes now that it's back from the shop?

Posted from Android



Date: 03/19/17 17:18
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: andersonb109

Why can't Superliner Sightseer lounge cars be outfitted in the same way?  Or at maybe half the car which could be reserved for sleeping car passengers. The other half could be kept as is for coach passengers.  Current seats are not designed for sitting for more than an hour or so. There is zero ambiance in the car unless you like being surrounded by talking on cell phones and people using the seats for beds...complete with their luggage nearby.  But the larger windows are nice.



Date: 03/19/17 18:15
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: ln844south

noticed while being a docent on 14 bet wen  K. Falls and Eugene in the sightseer lounge that people set up shop at a table or set of seats to be immersed in their world with no interest in whats passing outside.  Folks who want to take in the scenery have no place to sit. This has been an on going problem since the domes were introduced. Sleeping car patrons are lucky to have the use of the Parlour car.

Steve Panzik
​Chiloquin, Or



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 17:45 by ln844south.



Date: 03/19/17 23:23
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: mp51w

I noticed that cocktail table is kind of scratched up at the base and the stem is discolored.
Isn't that something that should have been touched up while the car sat idle for 2 months?



Date: 03/20/17 08:50
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: StarlightRider

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed that cocktail table is kind of scratched
> up at the base and the stem is discolored.
> Isn't that something that should have been touched
> up while the car sat idle for 2 months?

Does anybody know if this particular PPC has actually been returned to service from time off, or the one that has been used on weekends during this time?



Date: 03/20/17 13:19
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: ln844south

14 through K.Falls today (20th) was missing the Parlour Car.

Steve Panzik
​Chiloquin, Or



Date: 03/20/17 13:47
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: BoilingMan

It never ceases to amaze me how much anger these nice cars  (both the 33000's and the PPC's)  provoke on this page.  I worked these cars for many years as an LSA and find some comfort in the fact that in real life the general public seems to enjoy them w/o such angst.
SR



Date: 03/20/17 14:47
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: SP4360

If it wasn't these cars, it would be something else. Some people bitch when they are off trains, they bitch when they are on trains, ya just can't please them. Maybe they should fly instead.


BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It never ceases to amaze me how much anger these
> nice cars  (both the 33000's and the PPC's) 
> provoke on this page.  I worked these cars for
> many years as an LSA and find some comfort in the
> fact that in real life the general public seems to
> enjoy them w/o such angst.
> SR



Date: 03/20/17 15:04
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: barrydraper

One problem with outfitting Superliner lounges as first class sleepers (besides the cost) is that Amtrak doesn't have enough cars. Here is a pic desending Santa Margarita pass. 




Date: 03/20/17 16:19
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: chakk

ln844south Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 14 through K.Falls today (20th) was missing the
> Parlour Car.
>
> Steve Panzik
> ​Chiloquin, Or

IIRC, there are 4 PPCs available for servicing the 5 sets of Coast Starlights.   So perhaps 14(19) is the "fifth set" and must substitute a SSL (or nothing?) for the PPC.

I did photograph a PPC on 14(18) and on 11(19).



Date: 03/20/17 16:24
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: BoilingMan

There are 4 sets to protect 11-14, not 5.
SR



Date: 03/20/17 18:22
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: Auburn_Ed

I agree about the SSL cars being monopolized by persons having absolutely NO interest in the passing scenery.  They want a table (the whole thing) to set up shop, so to speak.  They sure get annoyed when you ask to join them.  For others, the SSL is the party car, as at full volume, they attempt to hook up with any female that passes.  I thought that signage on the tables or along the sidewall tray could be used, reminding them that there are others who would like to share those seats.  (Ha! like THAT would work!).  You simply cannot tell (or even ask) such things anymore. When I win the lottery I'll only travel by private car!  Everyone shares the platform, don't they?

Ed




Date: 03/20/17 21:29
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: jp1822

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why can't Superliner Sightseer lounge cars be
> outfitted in the same way?  Or at maybe half the
> car which could be reserved for sleeping car
> passengers. The other half could be kept as is for
> coach passengers.  Current seats are not designed
> for sitting for more than an hour or so. There is
> zero ambiance in the car unless you like being
> surrounded by talking on cell phones and people
> using the seats for beds...complete with their
> luggage nearby.  But the larger windows are nice.

Amtrak should take the Cross Country Cafe Cars that are not being used in regular assignments and strategically align them for use on various long distance trains. For example, on the California Zephyr line - to stretch out use of said cars - just add or subtract the Cross Country Cafe between Salt Lake and Denver. If they could add and subtract cars when the Pioneer and Desert Wind was operating or even up in Spokane now, they can do it with ONE car. Add/Subtract to the back where the sleepers are in peak season. The Cross Country Cafe Car could be modified a little for lounge service. Many of these cars unassigned.

The Capitol Limited is assigned Cross Country Cafe cars when it could have full service diners that sit in Chicago as reserves. Again, these two cars and perhaps three more from the Cross Country pool could be added to the Empire Builder Seattle section - but ahead of the diner so it is right behind the Seattle sleepers. Amtrak had talked about re-arranging the Empire Builder train sets in Spokane so as to put all sleepers together. They'd largely have to re-arrange the Portland sleeper. I don't the specifics, all I know the operating crews for this train had been in talks about it.

There are 17 of these Cross Country Cafe cars and they are largely just used on the Texas Eagle (4) and City of New Orleans (3). So that's 7 Cross Country Cafe Cars in regular assignment out of 17. The other 10 (or maybe just seven to allow for three to remain in existing layout) could kinda serve as your Pacific Parlor Car if some modifications were done. Even still, the "lounge section" could be outfitted better.

Superliner Diners, Superliner Cross Country Cafe cars - they would all make for interesting Lounge Cars, especially if they could be modified back to a diner. Europe has cars with modular designs. The Viewliners are supposed to be, but some cars in Europe can convert from coach to a sleeper configuration within a matter of hours - day time train during the day, night time sleeper in the evening.  

But Amtrak shouldn't do anything till their budget is secured that includes Long Distance Trains! Let me repeat so I don't comments about this. I would DO NOTHING of the suggestions above until current administration, Congress, and whomever else have money in place for Amtrak's long distance services.  



Date: 03/20/17 22:29
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: mundo

My understanding is that Denver station is no longer set up for switching as a normal  thing.  Thats why no sleeper just  Chicago - Denver tis pass summer.

One cross county car has been assinged to Los Angeles, for expanded consists on the Surfliner, during heavy weekends during the summer, During the Del Mar hourse raising in the summer.

I thought the Capital Limited used a cross county diner?
 



Date: 03/21/17 17:50
Re: Pacific Parlor Car on train 11-19
Author: jp1822

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that Denver station is no
> longer set up for switching as a normal  thing. 
> Thats why no sleeper just  Chicago - Denver tis
> pass summer.
>
> One cross county car has been assinged to Los
> Angeles, for expanded consists on the Surfliner,
> during heavy weekends during the summer, During
> the Del Mar hourse raising in the summer.
>
> I thought the Capital Limited used a cross county
> diner?
>  

The Capital Limited uses Cross Country Cafe cars and full service diner cars. I've been aboard both with no rhyme or reason. If Amtrak didn't kill the Three Rivers, they'd probably be operating the Capital Limited today with two trainsets instead of three.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1059 seconds