Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Passenger Trains > California Zephyr Christening with Eleanor Parker

Date: 03/19/17 12:52
California Zephyr Christening with Eleanor Parker
Author: SilverView

Reacting to an earlier posting about the christening of CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR with Eleanor Parker, I found these photos from the www.californiazephyr.org. It was a monumental day for ZEPHYR fans and rail passenger travelers that this train [6 sets] began service. I was fortunate to have worked in the Burlington Route Passenger Department 1965-1969 and had the privilege of seeing this train each of my  summer work days. What a thrill to see so many boarding each summer day to begin their journey through some of the most scenic parts of the U.S. The second photo shows Ms. Parker in the club lounge. Later that became the Cable Car club lounge. The thrid photo shows  Ms. Parker seated at a banquet-booth style table in the dining car.

Date: 03/19/17 20:03
Re: California Zephyr Christening with Eleanor Parker
Author: Lairport

I believe that is CA. Gov. Goodwin Knight with Ms. Parker

Date: 03/19/17 20:43
Author: MojaveBill

Yes, it is. Gov. Knight's family owned some mining property on Soledad Mountain southwest of Mojave. The mine has reopened and created almost 190 good jobs and another new business in Mojave to maintain the trucks, shovels, etc.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/21/17 12:17
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Regarding that last photo in the dining car, there's a similar photo where the waiter is advising everyone that kielbasa sausage is available for the ladies upon request.

So THAT'S why it was "the most talked about train in the country!"   

http://www.californiazephyr.org/exhibits/timetables/54_withdrawn_wp.phtml

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 12:24 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 03/22/17 17:36
Author: schaffner

I've heard that the dining car waiter in that photo later committed suicide because of it.

Jim Maurer

Date: 03/23/17 11:55
Author: BuddPullman

On a more upbeat note and speaking of the Budd Banquette semi-private dining booths, here is a similar Budd Banquette booth on a former Canadian Pacific Budd 48 seat diner on the VIA Canadian departing Vancouver BC on March 7 2017.  Good to know that while the CZ has been gone for for 47 years, you can still dine in fine Budd passenger train style today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds