Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Passenger Trains > New Metra Paint

Date: 04/18/17 16:13
New Metra Paint
Author: kevink

As noted previously, Metra rebuilds are starting to show up in a paint scheme inspired by the Motive Power MP36 fleet acquired several years ago.
The ex-Go Transit F59PHs were the first to be painted this way and after a long period where various issues were addressed, the locomotives are starting to run in regular service. In addition, the F40PH rebuild program has delivered a few locomotives in the new paint. At least one F40PH-2M is in Georgia currently being rebuilt and is expected to return in the new paint.

First two images are from the platforms on the south side of Chicago Union Station. METX 183 has been running on the BNSF since December and is seen here waiting to depart with an early evening train. METX 99 waits with a Heritage Service train to Joliet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/17 05:15 by kevink.

Date: 04/18/17 16:13
Re: New Metra Paint

Another F59PH rebuild, METX 98, is shown yesterday at Clinton Street heading to the Western Avenue Coach Yard after discharging its load of commuters at Union Station.

And the latest arrival, METX 217 was shoving its inbound train over Canal Street during today's lunch hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/17 16:17 by kevink.

Date: 04/18/17 17:55
Author: stanhunter

While I was working at MPI in Boise in 2003, the story I heard about this scheme was that Motive Power never intended to paint the MP36s in the silver-to-blue gradation scheme. They submitted an artist's conception of the MP36 in Metra's blue with orange stripes with their proposal, and the artwork had the gradation as a kind of lighting effect. When MPI won the job and submitted the paint and styling drawings, Metra said "We want the cool gradual silver-to-blue like the art in the proposal". And MPI really had no choice but to honor the proposal.

I cannot say if this is the truth or an "alternative fact" but it makes for an interesting story.

Stan Hunter
Davis, CA

Date: 04/18/17 19:20
Author: PHall

Kinda like the orange and maroon stripe. A salute to the Milwaukee Road?

Date: 04/18/17 19:44
Author: CPR_4000

Do these F59's still have 710 engines? What became of the proposal to re-engine the MP36's?

Date: 04/18/17 21:06
Author: NYSWSD70M

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do these F59's still have 710 engines? What became
> of the proposal to re-engine the MP36's?

Re-engine them with what?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/17 05:20

> Do these F59's still have 710 engines?

As far as I can tell, they still have the 710 engines.

>What became of the proposal to re-engine the MP36's?

It was the two remaining F40Cs that were to be rebuilt to be Tier 4 compliant. Last I heard, the two were still in storage at Metra's Western Ave Shops.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/19/17 09:26

A source confirms that the F59PHs retained their 710 engines.

Date: 04/19/17 14:42
Author: spdaylight

Love that paint scheme . . very flattering for the shape and contours of the engine body. . .

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 04/19/17 16:20
Author: metra6924

The new paint scheme was developed by one of Metra's engineers. The F59s were painted at our KYD paint shop. The first photo is at Western Avenue yard during the Trains Magazine photo shoot. The second is 97 rolling out of the KYD paint shop. The F40s currently being rebuilt will be delivered with the new paint scheme.

Date: 04/19/17 16:45
Author: CPR_4000

NYSWSD70M Wrote:
> CPR_4000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do these F59's still have 710 engines? What
> became
> > of the proposal to re-engine the MP36's?
>
> Re-engine them with what?
>
My mistake, it was GO Transit (Metrolinx), not Metra, that was re-engining its MP40's.

Date: 04/19/17 17:36
Author: TheApostleGreen

Congrats on IOTD!

Date: 04/19/17 23:09
Author: kingman

very nice

Date: 04/21/17 08:15
Author: mcdeo

NYSWSD70M Wrote:
> CPR_4000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do these F59's still have 710 engines? What
> became
> > of the proposal to re-engine the MP36's?
>
> Re-engine them with what?
>
My mistake, it was GO Transit (Metrolinx), not Metra, that was re-engining its MP40's.

With what? If I recall, they came with 645, 16 cylinder prime movers. Going with 710, 12 or 16 cylinder prime movers? Just wondering.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds