Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Passenger Trains > Trip Report - Metra Union Pacific West line to Elburn, Illinois

Date: 04/23/17 11:23
Trip Report - Metra Union Pacific West line to Elburn, Illinois
Author: SP_cadillacs

A few days ago I had posted a thread on what to do during my 9 hour layover in Chicago yesterday (Saturday April 22nd). After reading some suggestions, I decided to ride the entire Metra Union Pacific West line to Elburn and back from Ogilvie Transportation Center.

The Metra trains and ticket counters were on the second floor, with shops and a food court occupying the first floor. My first impression when entering the building reminds me of a high class 5-star hotel. Anyways I bought a weekend pass for $8 on the UP West line.

The Train, #507 was sitting on Track 7 locomotive first with 6 cars led by original F40PH "Screamer" #426 'Kane County' and trailing was Nippon Sharyo Cab Coach #8417. At first, the head two coaches were blocked off, but due to a very large (and I mean LARGE) group of Environmental Extremists Protesters boarding the train (go figure, environmental extremists boarding an air polluting mode of transportation), the conductor came and opened up the head two coaches, making the train full.

The train departed on time at 1440, making stops at Oak Park, River Forest, Melrose Park, Bellwood, Berkeley, Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, Glen Ellyn, College Ave, Wheaton, Winfield, West Chicago, Geneva, La Fox and finally arriving Elburn at 1606. The conductor mentioned that only 20 bicycles are allowed on the train. There was a student engineer running the train today, so there were rough starts after every stop, and during each stop he would release the automatic, causing the cars to roll back a bit while passengers were getting on and off. Bless his heart, he is brand new, so I understand, he is a cool guy too.

Upon arriving at Elburn, a Class 1 brake test was performed to change ends, with the return trip, train #512 departing Elburn at 1625 and arriving Chicago Ogilvie Transportation Center at 1750. I got off the train and went downstairs for some Indian Food, before walking 10 minutes to Willis Tower. I spend the remaining time at the Willis Tower Skydeck, such a beautiful view up there.

Photo 1: Chicago Union Station
Photo 2: Chicago Union Station with Willis Tower in the background.
Photo 3: Entrance to the platforms.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/17 11:54 by SP_cadillacs.

Date: 04/23/17 11:27
Re: Metra Union Pacific West line to Elburn, Illinois

Photo 4: The platforms.
Photo 5: The information board for the train at Track 7.
Photo 6: My train standing tall.

Date: 04/23/17 11:33

Photo 7: Walking up to check out the original F40PH "Screamer"
Photo 8: F40PH "Screamer" #126 Kane County and train at Elburn, Illinois.
Photo 9: Detail front photo of F40PH "Screamer" #126.

Date: 04/23/17 11:44

Photo 10: Roster photo of F40PH "Screamer" #126.
Photo 11: One last view of F40PH "Screamer" #126.
Video 12: A short sights and sounds of F40PH "Screamer" #126.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/23/17 11:48

Photo 13: From big city to big to big country. Train at Elburn, Illinois.
Photo 14: Train standing tall with a clear signal.
Photo 15: Nippon Sharyo Cab Car #8417.

Date: 04/23/17 11:53

Photo 16: Close up of Nippon Sharyo Cab Coach Car #8417.
Photo 17: Gallery type seating in Nippon Sharyo Cab Coach Car #8417.
Photo 18: I have the Willis Tower in sight. Just minutes away from Ogilvie Transportation Center.

Date: 04/23/17 11:59

Photo 19: I had some Indian food in the food court on the first level of the Ogilvie Transportation Center.
Photo 20: Some views from the Willis Tower Skydeck.
Photo 21: Some views from the Willis Tower Skydeck.

Date: 04/23/17 12:28
Re: Trip Report - Metra Union Pacific West line to Elburn, Illino
Author: inCHI

SP_cadillacs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
At first, the head two coaches
> were blocked off, but due to a very large (and I
> mean LARGE) group of Environmental Extremists
> Protesters boarding the train (go figure,
> environmental extremists boarding an air polluting
> mode of transportation), the conductor came and
> opened up the head two coaches, making the train
> full.

I write this as a possible point of clarification, not as a snide remark. What brings you to write that term? Were they carrying signs or wearing shirts that said things about the environment? There was an enormous "March for Science" that they almost certainly came from, and it was not an event specific to environmental issues. Many of those in the sciences from many professions were there. And, I am not surprised that they had the sense to ride Metra to downtown. I guess I'm a bit surprised that you start with evidence of their sensible decision on transport to nevertheless infer that they are "environmental extremists."

Also, criticism of commuter trains run by diesel engines has some merit when that very route had a study done in 2010 that showed the idling exhaust of F40's in Ogilvie would fill their air with diesel soot, which accumulates in the coaches. The coach behind the engine was found to have levels 72 times the normal.

Date: 04/23/17 13:11

There was a couple sitting in front of me who had mentioned that when the group boarded, and he mentioned that term a few times. I have no problems whatsoever with the group, they seem peaceful and did not cause any trouble (from what I could see). Maybe I should have investigated more before using the term. Good thing i was in the third coach.

Date: 04/23/17 13:37
Author: Dick

They were headed to the March for Science in Chicago. Tens of thousands if not a hundred thousand around the country marched for evidence based peer reviewed science. The goal was to make the march non-political and I am sure that most but definitely not all signs were. That is effectively impossible when you have some politicians and a president who do not believe in evidence based peer reviewed science as the basis for determining what is correct and what is not - what was once called a fact. Scientists are angry and one can not blame them.

And yes as a retired scientist I along with 3 - 4 thousand others marched in Concord, NH
Dick Eisfeller

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/17 13:38 by Dick.

Date: 04/23/17 14:32
Author: cabsignaldrop

Nice trip report. Really enjoyed the photos. The "activists" were all over the east coast as well. Not a big fan as all they seem to promote are higher taxes on everything that makes a modern society function.

I remember my first apartment, monthly electric bill was around 30 dollars a month. This was only 20 years ago. Now it's about 250 a month in no small part due to increased taxes/regulations and environmental requirements on producing energy. Also almost killed the coal industry. But hey, this is America and everyone has a right to one's own opinion.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/23/17 15:18

More photos from the SkyDeck

Date: 04/23/17 17:12
Author: bmarti7

Great report! Thanks for sharing. I have traveled to most of the World's big cities and Chicago is absolutely the best. Then you add the rail action and nothing else could compare in my humble opinion.
BB

Date: 04/23/17 21:41
Author: Coalca

I agree, I was very satisfied with my trip on Metra from O'hare to Aurora, IL last year. Sat in the upper levels like the OP.

Date: 04/24/17 09:24
Author: FECcarman

Dick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were headed to the March for Science in
> Chicago. Tens of thousands if not a hundred
> thousand around the country marched for evidence
> based peer reviewed science. The goal was to make
> the march non-political and I am sure that most
> but definitely not all signs were. That is
> effectively impossible when you have some
> politicians and a president who do not believe in
> evidence based peer reviewed science as the basis
> for determining what is correct and what is not -
> what was once called a fact. Scientists are angry
> and one can not blame them.

>
> And yes as a retired scientist I along with 3 - 4
> thousand others marched in Concord, NH
> Dick Eisfeller

Scientists usually get angry when they lose funding for their pet projects.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1306 seconds