Date: 04/26/17 09:21
Amtrak passenger enroute on 5...gets cancellation notice
Author: GenePoon

An Amtrak passenger on Train 5, now being delayed because of a
STATE OF GOOD REPAIR issue on a locomotive, requiring flat-switching
at Denver, got this "news" from Amtrak:

Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak train number 14
from Oakland (Jack London Square), California at 9:39PM on Sunday April 30 and
arriving in Portland (Amtrak - Union Station), Oregon.

That schedule has been cancelled due to a service disruption. There is no
alternate service available. To speak to a customer service representative
about travel options such as selecting another date or destination call us
at 877-231-9448 at your earliest convenience.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Amtrak
customer.

Sincerely,
Amtrak

==========================================================

This could be due to the UP derailment at Sims, CA south of Dunsmuir.
The derailment occurred on a bridge, which was damaged.

"We apologize for screwing up your trip. We have to patch up
the "money-making" Northeast Corridor so can't afford alternate
transportation for our valued long distance passengers. Sorry." -Amtrak

I say Amtrak's apologies are insufficient.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/17 09:31 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/26/17 10:08
Re: Amtrak passenger enroute on 5...gets cancellation notice
Author: PacNWZ12

You can be pretty annoying, Gene. It's a constant complaining festival with you isn't it? Need a waaaaaambulance? It's rural Oregon between Klamath Falls, Chemult, and Eugene and can take a little bit for a bus company to get its stuff and drivers together but they've always came through in the past after a day or two preparing and getting the right information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/17 10:09 by PacNWZ12.

Date: 04/26/17 10:42
Author: BRAtkinson

I just got a notice of cancellation for my 5/5 trip LAX-PDX as well.

My thinking is that either HQ would rather refund a bunch of money, or they are unable to arrange buses from PDX to SEA and turn the train at PDX. Things would be more complex if one of the 4 train sets is trapped in SEA, but I'm sure they'd be able to reposition it to PDX somehow within 24 hours.

My plan, for the present, is to keep tabs on the situation and hope it all gets cleared up and business is back to normal in a couple of days. Worst case, I'll have to get last minute tix to fly or cancel half of my vacation, and lose a guaranteed reservation in PDX for $212. Neither alternative is a pleasant alternative.

Date: 04/26/17 10:45
Author: MarionLinn

Actually, Amtrak has decided not to do a bus bridge around this problem for the Coast Starlight service, meaning no alternative transportation between Eugene and Sacramento while the bridge is being repaired/replaced.

Date: 04/26/17 10:49
Author: jp1822

Back when the Coast Starlight was running HOURS late northbound back in early 2000's and they didn't guarantee the connection of the Builder, we ended up renting a car from Sacramento to Portland. Since that section was booked separately we got a refund. Frankly not sure if I cared because I just remember that we had to make the Empire Builder connection cause I had to be back at work. It was the first time I ever was in a Ford Escape, but it was a great journey. We had to cut one day (or half day) short in Sacramento, overnight somewhere just north of the Oregon/California border, dropped car at airport (had to pickup at Sacramento airport and they allowed a one-way to drop off at Portland airport and no "drop fees."). For a one-way rental I just remember also it was not terribly expensive. Course the plates on the car were "Oregon" so we may have been doing the company a favor. We ended up getting a private car service (shared with another couple going to the same place!) to Portland Union Station and got there around like 2 pm. All in all we made lemonade out of lemons as I never thought we'd get a car rental allowance like we did - and make the train. 

Turns oit though the Coast Starlight we were supposed to be on was an hour late coming into Portland Station. But it was the first time all month and like the second time in three months the train actually made the connection. Regardless, my nerves were at ease doing what we did. 

I am sure if it is going to be "weeks" they will get a bus bridge. This is the time when the Pioneer is needed!

Date: 04/26/17 11:06
Author: BobB

I'm on number 11 to Los Angeles on May 7 and got a cancellation notice, with no alternative. I'm coming back on number 14 from Oakland Jack London on May 20, and Amtrak tells me that that train will run.

Date: 04/26/17 11:13
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

It does make me wonder if decisions like this one are getting colored by the belligerent threats being made against Amtrak's future funding.

Date: 04/26/17 13:16
Author: Moonshiner

My wife and I were booked on train 11 on May 10, SEA to LAX and got the cancellation notice today. I was able to rebook for the next day -- 5/11/17 -- and the agent was "sure" the train would be running. Hope so, our first time on the Starlight and are/were really looking forward to it.... turned out OK.

Oh ... and Gene Poon, I enjoy your posts so don't stop due to the harassment.

Date: 04/26/17 13:38
Author: Raja

I, too enjoy Gene's posts. I have enjoyed them since the pre internet days of passenger rail newsletter! Gene, pay no mind to the bullies!

Date: 04/26/17 14:29
Author: Dispatcher68

UP just sent out an estimate of 30 days before return to service,this should be a blast,let's see what the poor kid on the block can come up with.

Oh,and give 'em hell Gene,the truth is hard to swallow for the alterna-facts crowd.

Date: 04/26/17 15:17
Author: GenePoon

Thanks for the kind words!

Actually it appears that the moderator felt I stepped over the line today. The post, "United Airlines does it again -- Kills Giant Rabbit" was censored.

Oh, well... The truth, even when it hurts...

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/17 15:19 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/26/17 15:26
Author: jointauthority

Gene, you made me laugh a bit when you used the term flat switching....I don't think Amtrak has any hump yards. ;) Thanks for posting, always good info.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/26/17 15:30
Author: Dispatcher68

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the kind words!
>
> Actually it appears that the moderator felt I
> stepped over the line today. The post, "United
> Airlines does it again -- Kills Giant Rabbit" was
> censored.
>
> Oh, well... The truth, even when it hurts...
>
> Posted from Android

Censored? Oh no,we've turned into North Korea!

Date: 04/26/17 15:50
Author: SunsetLtd

I'm booked on #11 on 5/23 to head back to Texas. Hopefully they'll have it fixed sooner than 30 days, otherwise I'll have to scrap that whole segment and fly.

Date: 04/26/17 16:00
Author: Lackawanna484

There are several closures of highway 101 near Mendocino. Amtrak may be prudent in not sending buses into that mess.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/26/17 20:32
Author: stash

Just what is the railroad supposed to do? Snap fingers and instantly replace a bridge? Foamers can be clueless sometimes.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/27/17 01:29
Author: pdt

There should be a bus bridge Redding-Dunsmuir. No excuses. Make it happen. Period. I worked in the airline biz for 30 years, and we always made it happen. Never told anyone to "get there on your own". This is pathetic, IMHO.

Date: 04/27/17 08:26
Author: cabsignaldrop

Gene I enjoy your posts. Keep it up! No need for Orwellian "all is well all is good" posts 100% of the time.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/27/17 08:30
Author: IHC

What's really messed up about this is that the passenger is already enroute...and will now will be stranded by Amtrak in Emeryville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 08:32 by IHC.

Date: 04/27/17 08:31
Author: jst3751

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There should be a bus bridge Redding-Dunsmuir. No
> excuses. Make it happen. Period. I worked in
> the airline biz for 30 years, and we always made
> it happen. Never told anyone to "get there on
> your own". This is pathetic, IMHO.

So just like that, Amtrak will snap its fingers and force multiple bus vendors to pull x number of buses and drivers out of thin air and setup a temporary route that will last maybe a week.

And don't forget about crew accomadations at Redding and Dunsmuir. And dont forget about train prep crews at those 2 locations. And dont forget about supplies for the trains at those two locations. And dont forget about the host railroad (UP) being able to accomadate the parking of a trainset at those locations.

What is pathetic is those that fail to understand what goes on behind the scenes to make things happens. Sometimes, it is just not possible.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1006 seconds