Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Passenger Trains > NYC MTA Derailment

Date: 06/27/17 08:01
NYC MTA Derailment
Author: ross

FDNY reporting a partial Subway derailment in the 125th St area. 3rd alarm enroute. Initial reports was four injuries, but the 3rd alarm dictates otherwise.

Date: 06/27/17 08:08
Re: NYC MTA Derailment
Author: joemvcnj

Service Change Posted: 06/27/2017 11:05AM

Due to a derailment at 125 St the following service changes are in effect:

There is no A Subway train service between 59 St-Columbus and Inwood-207 St in both directions.

B Subway train service is suspended between Brighton Beach and 145 St in both directions.

C Subway train service is suspended between Euclid Av and 168 St in both directions.

There is no D Subway train service between 42 St-Bryant Park and 161 St-Yankee Stadium in both directions.

There is shuttle D Subway train service between 161 St-Yankee Stadium and Norwood-205 St in both directions.

Some Forest Hills bound M Subway trains are terminating at Essex St.

Expect delays in A Subway, B Subway, C Subway, D Subway, E Subway, F Subway and M Subway train service.

Personnel have responded and evacuated all customers with no major injuries.

Date: 06/27/17 08:36
Author: GenePoon

"Partial" derailment? It derailed, or it didn't...or, with a nod to Marc "Spin" Magliari at Amtrak, it either "lost contact with the rail" or it didn't.

Three reported injured thus far:

MANHATTAN — Three people were hurt and dozens evacuated after a southbound A train derailed near 125th Street — tearing one of the doors off the car — riders and officials said.

Commuter Skip Suva, 28, was riding on a southbound A train approaching 125th Street just before 10 a.m. when he said "the train started shaking insanely violently, the lights started flickering. I was leaning against the left door, on the left side of the train, and the right door was ripped open."

"It was really dark, tons of smoke and dust, and white chunky things," he told Gothamist. "There was a lot of distortion on the floor. The metal was pushed in, and either the door was jammed... or it was totally pulled off, like, opened like a book."

Carrie Courogen, of Washington Heights, said "we were going fast and all of a sudden I felt this big bump, like it went up in the air and rocked side to side in the air, off the tracks. I flew up onto my seat and onto the ground. It came to a screeching halt. We saw sparks. It smelled so bad, like burnt rubber."

Courougen said riders were desperate to escape and several people tried to open windows or doors to get out during a harrowing period with no information from the conductor as smoke built up in the car.

"We were just sitting there and no one tried to tell us over the intercom. We had no idea what was going on. Finally after 10 minutes the conductor gets on and she's like, 'We have a derailment, we're coming through the cars,'" Courougen said

"We were sitting there for so long with no information and as time went by there was more smoke in the car. The not knowing was terrifying. As we were leaving there was an older gentleman who had a cane and he was waiting for medical personnel, and said, 'I think I need to go to the hospital.'"

The MTA blamed a power outage, but didn't provide further details. They refused to confirm whether a train had derailed for nearly an hour, saying only that a "subway incident" had elapsed. They finally confirmed a derailment shortly before 11 a.m.

All A, D, and E trains were suspended between Jay St. Metrotech and 207th Street and the C train was completely suspended in both directions.

FDNY officials said they were called to the scene by a report of a smoke condition at West 125th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue about 9:48 a.m., a spokesman said.

-DNA Info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/17 08:38 by GenePoon.

Date: 06/27/17 08:50
Author: John

No doubt the reference to a "partial" derailment was meant to indicate that the entire train did not derail. I understand that two cars of the train derailed. It seems to me that a layperson would take "partial" to mean just that: only part of the train went off the track.

Date: 06/27/17 08:51
Author: Lackawanna484

There are some really long distances involved here. Suspending the B train all the way to Brooklyn, for example, for something that happened north of 110th street

Date: 06/27/17 09:08
Author: R30A

There is nowhere to turn the B and C at the north end, so they are being suspended.

There isn't really a good place to turn the D either for that matter... I bet they are sending them to various locations to turn.

Date: 06/27/17 11:19
Author: joemvcnj

Date: 06/27/17 13:18
Author: OliveHeights

Do you get a refund when something like this happens?

Date: 06/27/17 13:28
Author: Lackawanna484

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty nasty:
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/nyregion/subway
> -train-derails-in-manhattan.html

Thanks.

200 feet of concrete wall ripped out, yards of signals and signal wires, garbage on the tracks set on fire by the derailment, etc.

In my recent, short visit, it seemed like the subway platforms and stations were dirtier than they had been. For many years, garbage trains would come through the stations at night and vacuum the tracks, pull waste from all the litter baskets left after 9/11, etc.

Date: 06/28/17 01:31
Author: jst3751

OliveHeights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you get a refund when something like this
> happens?

Really? Dozens injured, about 800 people trying to get to street level from the train through smoke and dust and debris and tracks, and you are wondering if you can get your $2.75 back?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds