Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Passenger Trains > [NYC] South Ferry station reopens (again)

Date: 06/27/17 13:41
[NYC] South Ferry station reopens (again)
Author: Lackawanna484

The southern terminus of the 1 train in lower Manhattan has re-opened following a $350 million repair project following damage from superstorm Sandy. During the five year rebuilding project, the original 1905 station and its extending platform, and short loop were reactivated.

The 1905 station was built on a tight loop to accommodate the short cars used in those days. As longer cars came into use, they no longer fit flush against the platforms. The most recent cars had a platform gap of up to 30 inches. So, motorized extensions came out from the platform to push against the first few cars. The last several cars didn't get access to the platform.

After Sandy dumped millions of gallons of saltwater into the new, stub end long platform station, the old station was re-activated. It's now being retired, and a berm / movable barrier is expected to keep water out of the new station. Several other stations and tunnels on NYCTA, Amtrak, and the PATH had similar problems with lesser consequences.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2017/06/26/closure-of-old-south-ferry-station-spells-end-for-quirky-remnant-of-original-subway-system.html

Date: 06/27/17 18:57
Re: [NYC] South Ferry station reopens (again)
Author: TomPlatten

I used the old South Ferry Station daily during my hitch in the Coast Guard. My ships were stationed on Governor's Island. I used the subway to go uptown to the USO when on Liberty. The Admiral of the 3rd Coast Guard District finally allowed shipboard people wear civilian clothes on and off the ships in 1970 because we were getting into conflicts with civilians uptown. This was long before servicemen were no longer considered to be "trash". Needless to say I have conflicted feelings about NYC. I did enjoy the subways though! Now the old station is gone again and the Coast Guard vacated Governor's Island!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/17 21:07 by TomPlatten.

Date: 06/27/17 19:52
Author: Lackawanna484

Many of the housing units on Governor's Island have been demolished, while others are being repurposed for art exhibits or Park Service facilities. The 1840s era commander's row buildings are being updated, about half have been reopened.

The city offers regular weekend events out on the island, it's always fun to take the short ferry ride.

Date: 06/27/17 21:22
Author: TomPlatten

I think it was originally an Army Post called Fort Jay. The Coast Guard built a multi-story residence on the island. They were required to buy a ladder truck for the fire service. The Coast Guard was always underfunded so the 3rd District could not afford the new fire truck. American La France cut a deal to build a downsized combination pumper and ladder truck which would fit on the ferry to get on the island if the Coast Guard would let them have the two 1946 Mack pumpers. These trucks had less than 400 miles on them. The trade was concluded the the island got its new fire engine. The 3rd CG district moved to Portland, Maine in 1996--I believe--and the Coast Guard vacated the island. I wonder if the fire truck is still there!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/17 13:38 by TomPlatten.

Date: 06/28/17 16:15
Author: joemvcnj

Just went to Governor's Island today for fun. The ferry has a plaque saying it was built in 1955 in Oyster Bay, NY for the US Army.
Most of the older brick buildings are abandoned. Some newer barracks in the southern half of the island have all their windows smashed, and one had a fire. There are also some old frame houses painted yellow which look like they could be nice B&B's some day. They have a couple of crappy food trucks for snacks. They have a long ways to go.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds