Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Passenger Trains > Two engine N.E.C. Amtrak trains

Date: 07/11/17 18:53
Two engine N.E.C. Amtrak trains
Author: MdRailfan

Recently I have seen four trains on the Northeast corridor powered by 2 ACS64 engines. Both engines had pans up so I assume both are on line. I don't know many of the train symbols but they are different trains from the log in time in my personal journal. Just wondering if anyone would know why or what decides the need for extra power.

Thanks Graham

Date: 07/11/17 20:03
Re: Two engine N.E.C. Amtrak trains
Author: chess

Being that the ACS 64's are more powerful than the AEM7's were, I can't really see any reason to run double headers on any scheduled NEC train. Unless I'm mistaken, the longest scheduled Amtrak train running on the NEC is the current version of train 97/98, the Silver Meteor, at 11 cars. Well within a single ACS 64's capability. Back in the 80's and 90's, there were some NEC trains that ran with 14 cars and 2 AEM7's, but not anymore, and the LD trains of that time primarily ran with an E60, although sometimes 2 AEM7's were used on the LD's as well. You might be seeing a power move, possibly a regular thing on some scheduled trains..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/17 20:09 by chess.

Date: 07/11/17 23:58
Author: billio

Two possibilities occur to me:
1) power balancing move
2) Power reliability (which seems the more likely of the two)

Date: 07/12/17 07:12
Author: twropr

Sometimes after a motor has been undergone repairs it may make a few trips accompanied by another motor for testing purposes.
Same occurs with diesels.
Andy

Date: 07/12/17 09:29
Author: firetrain

they add more cars in dc

Date: 07/12/17 18:27
Author: MdRailfan

This would seem to be logical and I will accept that. Thanks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0256 seconds