Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Passenger Trains > Talgo re-opens Milwaukee plant to overhaul L.A. Red Line cars

Date: 07/18/17 22:44
Talgo re-opens Milwaukee plant to overhaul L.A. Red Line cars
Author: illini73

Talgo, Inc. has re-opened its plant in Milwaukee's Century City business park. Their first contract is for the LACMTA Red Line A650 car overhauls (37 married pairs built by Breda in 1992-2000). Article from Progressive Railroading here:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/Talgo-ramps-up-rail-car-overhaul-work-in-Milwaukee--52195

Comments on this article quickly drifted to questions/blaming about what happened to the Wisconsin Talgos built at this same plant in 2010 but never paid for or delivered after the Wisconsin HSR project was cancelled by the incoming administration of Gov. Scott Walker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/17 22:44 by illini73.

Date: 07/19/17 09:39
Re: Talgo re-opens Milwaukee plant to overhaul L.A. Red Line cars
Author: MojaveBill

What's the status of the Talgo equipment?

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/19/17 19:25
Author: illini73

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the status of the Talgo equipment?

Like I said above, the discussion immediately drifts away to this question, rather than the news actually at hand. With a few swipes along the way at Wisconsin's decision to invest most of their state rail funds in freight instead of passenger projects.

Date: 07/19/17 22:18
Author: MojaveBill

Someone here must know what happened to the cars.
BTW, I rode a Talgo trainset from DC to Baltimore back in the early '80s when I was at FRA. Nice trains but seeme4d to ride a little roughly....
They were being tested in the Northeast Corridor.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/20/17 18:25
Author: bobgfla

last I head there at beach grove for storage

Date: 07/20/17 20:46
Author: mundo

Stored at Beech Grove until someone purchases or leases them.

Someone said that Wash State wanted one, but had no money.

Course its been reported that the two would come to Surfliner service.  But how do you use a train with around 260 seats to replace a set of 450 plus+.
The thought being that a couple of train sets would get Talgo's,  allowing then then surplus cars to fill out consists of existing trains  an/or replace the one low level set.

The math goes not work out, without adding new trains  and the railroads will not allow more trains.  Frankly the infrastructure as now operated would not handle any more trains either in slots needed by the passengers..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds