Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Passenger Trains > Twilight Shoreliner

Date: 07/27/17 07:31
Twilight Shoreliner
Author: Raja

This was one of my most sorely missed trains. I hope they restore it once CAF starts sending out all those new Viewliner sleepers. They would just need to hang those sleepers off of Regional train #67. What are the chances?

Date: 07/27/17 08:24
Re: Twilight Shoreliner
Author: reindeerflame

Raja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was one of my most sorely missed trains. I
> hope they restore it once CAF starts sending out
> all those new Viewliner sleepers. They would just
> need to hang those sleepers off of Regional train
> #67. What are the chances?

Zero.

Date: 07/27/17 08:54
Author: RevRandy

I agree - Twilight Shoreliner was one delight of a train, giving quality overnight service NPN-BOS. Living in Williamsburg, VA, and often having business in Boston, I could do the day's business without having to sacrifice several other days getting there. And I can tell you, WAS-NYP-BOS the sleeper was generally full.

Date: 07/27/17 09:08
Author: BRAtkinson

I rode this train a number of times in the sleeper. For me, it had good connections at both ends. I've ridden it several times since they cut off the sleeper. I proved to myself just a couple of months ago that I am now too old to sleep sitting up in Business Class. Unless Amtrak ends up having a surplus of Viewliner sleepers once the new ones arrive, I've already ridden that train my last time.

Date: 07/27/17 09:51
Author: MERR

The reply of "zero" could be misleading. Who knows when Viewliner Sleepers will actually arrive? You will just need to wait.

Date: 07/27/17 10:24
Author: reindeerflame

MERR Wrote:
> The reply of "zero" could be misleading. Who knows
> when Viewliner Sleepers will actually arrive? You
> will just need to wait.

I know for a fact that it's not happening. The viewliners will be deployed elsewhere, where it's a higher Amtrak priority.

Date: 07/27/17 13:44
Author: KansasCityChief

reason the sleeper was removed ;Auto Train derailment 1998; was the cardinal was a superliner train made single level train and the Cardinal was extended to New York

Date: 07/27/17 18:08
Author: chess

KansasCityChief Wrote:
> reason the sleeper was removed ;Auto Train
> derailment 1998; was the cardinal was a
> superliner train made single level train and the
> Cardinal was extended to New York

That major Auto Train accident where it hit a sun kink north of Sanford, FL was in April of 2002. After that, the Cardinal was returned to NY with low level equipment. I rode the Cardinal several times in 2000 and 2001, and it was still Superliner equipment. Also, I rode the Silver Meteor 3 days after the Auto Train derailment, and we were sent down the S line in Florida without making any stops until Winter Haven. This was after Amtrak ended service on the S line south of Jacksonville..

Date: 07/28/17 22:27
Author: jp1822

KansasCityChief Wrote:
> reason the sleeper was removed ;Auto Train
> derailment 1998; was the cardinal was a
> superliner train made single level train and the
> Cardinal was extended to New York

NO! The Viewliner sleeper service on #66/67 lasted into Gunn's presidency and was reincarnated as the "Federal" between WAS and BOS. Not sure if it was the first winter Gunn was president or the second, but after the Viewliners began to freeze up in the winter and half the Viewliner were sidelined, THAT'S when this Northeast Regional train LOST its sleeper.

Amtrak would ONLY need TWO sleeper to put this service back. Typically only 39 of the 50 Viewliners are required for service (41 when the Cardinal has a second sleeper in summer months). Amtrak could press two more Viewliners into service IF it wanted to. It could also re-arrange some consists/schedules to free up two Viewliners IF they really wanted to put sleepers back on this Northeast Regional train. But it doesn't seem that it is going to happen at present.

When Amtrak gets the Viewliner II Sleepers - when and if - there would be enough Viewliners to put TWO back for #66/67. Of the single level long distance trains, 17 consists require Viewliner Sleepers

Cardinal - 2
Star - 4
Meteor - 4
Lake Shore - 3
Crescent - 4

TOTAL - 17 consists

If each consist got an additional sleeper, that's 17 sleepers to go around, leaving 8 as reserve of the Viewliner II fleet, in addition to 9 to 11 of the Viewliner I fleet. You could have 19 Viewliner sleepers sitting in reserve. I can't see where any long distance train would get more than four Viewliner sleepers.

So Amtrak COULD spare two Viewliners when all are in operation. I think the NEC would get overnight Viewliner sleeper service before a Viewliner sleeper is attached to the Pennsylvanian and forwarded to the Capitol Limited as through cars. You even have enough Viewliners to do both because I doubt the Cardinal would get a THIRD sleeper. Some trains would be getting a Viewliner Baggage/Dorm under wishful thinking.

Overall, the CAF order has a LONG way to go still.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.069 seconds