Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Passenger Trains > LAUS operation questions

Date: 11/22/17 14:32
LAUS operation questions
Author: smudgepot

After reading an earlier thread debating the operational gains of any future run-through tracks at LAUS from six or seven years ago, I decided to follow a suggestion and attempt to simulate a bit of the area in TD3. Predictably I'm encountering some difficulties in the areas of equipment utilization for both Metrolink and Amtrak.

I know a lot of the Metrolink equipment deadheads to and from their yard as combined trains, are these usually the same pairs of trains everyday?

I can trace some of the equipment through the schedules, but do many trainsets make trips on multiple lines in the course of a day?

When are the long distance trains usually spotted at the platforms?

Thanks in advance

Date: 11/22/17 14:59
Re: LAUS operation questions
Author: jst3751

smudgepot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can trace some of the equipment through the
> schedules, but do many trainsets make trips on
> multiple lines in the course of a day?

AFAIK, train sets can and will be used on different lines during the day.

> When are the long distance trains usually spotted
> at the platforms?

AFAIK, 30-45 minutes before departure.

Date: 11/22/17 17:39
Author: barrydraper

Keep in mind that the trainset rotation patterns of Metrolink and Amtrak, as well as train schedules are all designed for the stub-end station. When run-through tracks go into service I assume that both railroads will modify schedules and rotations with that in mind. The run-throughs are being built to reduce congestion at Mission Tower and to allow more trains.

Barry Draper

Date: 11/22/17 17:53
Author: railstiesballast

As to doubling up consists to deadhead to/from the maintenance facility, every time I observed this both trains were on the same track at LAUS (or LAUPT to us old timers).
They may or may not be the same lines, for instance an Antelope Valley and a Ventura train may use the same track and may get doubled up for the deadhead move.
It becomes quite a game of logic and planning....

Date: 11/24/17 09:43
Author: TomPlatten

My Mom was widowed in WWII. She came to CA to get a job with the Air Force at March AFB from Texas using my Dad's Veterans Preference. She worked for the the Air Force until her seventies. She told me when she arrived in LA in late 1944 she was flabbergasted at the chaos at Union Station. If you go to LAX now in mid day you can get a small idea of what that must have been like! The "joint is jumping"! If they finally add run through tracks, which have been discussed for decades, LAX will be even busier! Another new factor, according to one of the Security supervisors, is the growing "walk in" trade from the growing number of people who have moved into the downtown and either walk to the station or take the bus. As they say---"what goes around...".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds