Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > Two At Carpinteria

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/13/18 11:36
Two At Carpinteria
Author: walstib

Travelers were lined up six deep on the station platform at Carpinteria this morning, where two Surfliners called during the 10 o'clock hour.

First up is train 774, the morning train from San Luis Obispo, which was running with a locomotive on each, end and eight cars.

After meeting 774 at Seacliff, 761 pulled into town with six cars to find a substantial crowd waiting. Not everybody was able to board. Reports said there were 200 standees on the train when it departed Ventura.

And last night's 796, the day's last southbound from Santa Barbara, reportedly had 900 passengers, 620 of whom boarded at Santa Barbara, including 500 standees.

But not to fear, number 11 is riding to the rescue today, with 8 extra cars and three locomotives from Oakland, including CDTX 2051 and 2052.

Tomorrow, I'm going to sample another form of transportation between Ventura and Santa Barbara — a ferry. I have tickets on the 9 a.m. sailing from Ventura, with a return from Santa Barbara at 3:30 p.m. With any luck, and an on-time Starlight, I should be able to see a few trains at the Santa Barbara depot.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/13/18 12:03
Re: Two At Carpinteria
Author: cutboy2

Nice   coverage.
  About  500 seats  per train??  Those distant  hills  sure look urned. Sad.

Date: 01/13/18 12:38
Author: BoilingMan

8 cars is impressive.  It will be interesting to see all the cars in the Northern CA colors down there, AND the CA Dash-8's  (Unloved up North, but you'll be glad to have them down there!  Keep the reports coming...
SR

My app says 3' swell @ 15sec-  that's pretty smooth sailing!  A report on the ferry ride might be a bit OT, but maybe, in the context, some slack will be allowed.

Date: 01/13/18 12:46

I hope it's smooth sailing! I'll bring a jacket, at least, in case it's chilly out there.

I was happy to see it wasn't completely sold out when I went to buy tickets. Monday, however, is a different story.

Date: 01/13/18 13:31
Author: mundo

I bet, the #11 extra cars will be considered "Deadheads - not in service" Thats the typical remark.

Date: 01/13/18 13:34
Author: MirandaDepot

An RPO should be added to one of the trains...the Ventura mail is processed in Goleta so delivery is lagging by a day or two. (No, don’t start a discussion about RPOs....)

Date: 01/13/18 13:40

Yes, the cars are deadheading on number 11.

There's a nice video posted on FB of the train going through San Jose a little earlier this afternoon. Impressive with five locomotives.

Date: 01/13/18 13:42

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet, the #11 extra cars will be considered
> "Deadheads - not in service" Thats the typical
> remark.

Oh, I know!  Totally!
SR

wait...  what, exactly, are we talking about?

Date: 01/13/18 15:30
Author: Copy19

I see there was a guy on the platform waiting to board 761 who apparently wanted to take his bicycle with him. Oh brother.

Date: 01/13/18 16:26
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Thanks, Brian, very much for the very interesting report! My railfan son and I had been wondering if some kind of water transport could be arranged, and -- lo and behold! -- it has already been!

I vote, too, for reports of what the ferry ride is like -- number of pax, quality of ride, etc. IMO, it is a bit OT, nut not really -- it is just telling the whole story.

I did some Googling to find out more about the boats they are using for this ferry service -- pax (passenger) capacity and max speed -- and learned this:

1. The Condor Express and the Island Packers are providing emergency ferry service for passengers between Santa Barbara and Ventura.

2. The fare is $32 one way. (Those big boats burn LOTS of fuel!)

3. Both companies' boats are relatively new, and are modified catamarans, and are fast for boats.

4. The "Condor Express" boat holds 127 pax, nand goes 28 knots max when laden = 32 mph

5. The "Island Packers" boats hold 149 pax each, and go 20 knots laden = 23 mph

I really feel for all the people negatively affected by the fire and this latest mudslide and water. I hope everything gets cleaned up soon.

Date: 01/13/18 16:45

My tickets are for the Condor Express. I’m glad it’s the faster of the two ships.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/18 19:32
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

walstib --
Bon voyage! Please let us know how your trip went, and how smooth or rough the ride was. Thanks!

Date: 01/14/18 01:15
Author: atsf121

I watched the Thomas fire last month on my flight from San Jose to Burbank, can’t believe how bad things have gotten now with the mudslide. Glad the train is being heavily used, hope it creates some new riders after the highway reopens.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/18 14:32
Author: TrainRidingGal

Walstb, definitely bring a jacket and possibly hat and gloves. It will be much cooler on the water and in the wind as I suspect you'll be at front of the boat snapping away! Look forward to seeing your pictures!

Date: 01/14/18 18:08
Author: xsphogger

I saw on TV some people wanted to ship some "relief supplies" for those left with only the shirts on their backs from Oxnard to Santa Barbara via Amtrak. Amtrak wanted to charge them $250. So the TV crew loaded it up in their van and forwarded via the relief crews working on the mud flood. Thanks Amtrak!

Date: 01/14/18 23:54
Author: johnnyremixx

How does the conductor scan all those tickets before the next stop is my question.

Juan Cornejo
Hacienda Heights, CA

Date: 01/15/18 00:36

With help. There are probably 3 on board: conductor and 2 A/C’s.
SR

Although...
I worked a Capitol Corridor (as LSA) once with apx 1400 passengers once. I say “apx” because they only got about 1100 tickets. The train was packed so tight they simply couldn’t get into some cars.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/18 00:46 by BoilingMan.

Date: 01/15/18 09:54

On ticketing. I am waiting for conductor remarks on how many tickets are not even scanned, never mind purchased. With so many new customers, how many are aware of smart phone ticketing and the clerks at Santa Barbara and Oxnard must have had some long lines.
Overtime staffing too for clerks and conductors!

As to the understaffed stations, am sure lots of folks got a free ride. It was just January 1st, that the Amtrak ticketing option on the Metrolink machines were removed, which could have helped at Metrolink stations.

Date: 01/15/18 15:17

Upon checking availability between LA-Santa Barbara for Mondayafternoon and Tuesday, they are showing SOLD OUT even on a unreserved seat train.

Assume this then would block out an individual from getting a smart phone ticket.

For sure this is one way to reduce the number of folks trying to get on. I have no problem with this, but it does place that much greater load on conductors to either say NO more space and/or sell cash tickets.

Date: 01/15/18 16:50

There was quite a bit of drama on the platform in Carpinteria this morning when 761 showed. up. There were way more passengers than there was room for. One gal was banging on a closed door, and arguing with the conductor. Then there was a pregnant lady trying to enlist the help of a couple of deputy sheriffs. When 761 left, there were more than 100 people still on the platform. Train 763 was able to accommodate the leftovers, but man, what a mess. I am just fortunate I don't have to go anywhere.

It's become something of a daily spectacle here in Carpinteria for the locals out on their morning walk to stop at the crossing by the depot and just gawk at the scene. I guess I'm one of them, but I have an excuse — I'm always out there, haha.

I'm waiting for some frustrated yahoo to try and hold on to a grab iron and ride the train to Santa Barbara that way.

Latest from Caltrans is the 101 will reopen in "one week," so it looks like several more days of long trains and big crowds.

Today was a holiday. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds