Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Pacific Parlour Cars final northbound trip

Date: 02/03/18 16:11
Pacific Parlour Cars final northbound trip
Author: stash

Train 14, departing Los Angeles on 2 February 2018, had two Pacific Parlour Cars. This was the final northbound trip of the famed PPCs. On board, a photo of the Napa Valley. CJ staffed the bar on that car. On the Columbia Valley, Amtrak veteran Darren set up for another wine tasting while the train rolled through the Salinas River valley. Note the water glasses (real glass) for the service. So many people they ran short of wine glasses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/18 16:38 by stash.

Date: 02/03/18 16:28
Re: Pacific Parlour Cars final northbound trip
Author: mp51w

That's what I'm talking about!
Trains newswire story from December: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/12/04-pacific-parlor
What happened in the ensuing month?
Anderson or one of his Delta managers must have seen the Beech Grove shop bill on #39975!
I almost wish sleeping car revenue plummets!

Date: 02/03/18 16:29
Author: stash

Another unique feature of the Pacific Parlour Cars was the lower level theatre. At one time movies were shown. Amtrak would buy a tape and shove it into the VCR player (remembering those). But cost cutting eliminated the theatre use years ago. Hollywood demanded high fees from the railroad for playing those movies on a screen to the public. Herewith, photos facing the screen and also looking back.

I always liked the classy etched plastic in the car.

Date: 02/03/18 16:46
Author: KWH49

Excellent photos. I've used the sleepers on the Coast Starlight a couple of times, most recently as transportation to and from the honeymoon cruise (wife's first overnight ride on a train), and we really liked the respite the PPC offered.

I'm hoping Amtrak can see its way clear to coming up with a new sleepers-only lounge, but I'm not holding my breath.

Date: 02/03/18 17:18
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics, sad to see these cars go, who really made the decision on pulling the plug anyway, I know it wasn't Mr. Anderson!

Date: 02/03/18 18:32
Author: wharfrat

Thanks for the coverage. Here is a grab shot of you at OKJ last night.

Date: 02/03/18 20:29
Author: jcaestecker

The lower lounge/movie theater has refrigerated lockers that still function. I know because I checked 'em out a couple weeks ago. That location, in a private car, could be turned into a terrific kitchen. Since Amtrak is blind to their value, they really do belong in the hands of PV owners. A basic tenet of marketing is, 'Sell the sizzle, not the steak.' Amtrak is oblivious to the concept.

-John

Date: 02/04/18 00:37
Author: coach

Those cars are why I paid for a sleeping room many times on the Coast Starlight.  Quiet, spacious, and very smooth riding.  I've spent many a night in those cars, almost falling asleep watching the world pass by, almost in a whisper.  It was a touch of elegance, and those cars truly made the trips special.  Now that they're gone, I don't know....

Date: 02/04/18 01:24
Author: kimura

Thanks for the great photos of the Pacific Parlour Cars!

I love the theater!

I remember the original TV and VCR and later an upgrade to a better TV and a DVD player and I think a soundbar.

I look forward to riding this train on Monday!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds