Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Passenger Trains > Charger at idle sounds most distinct (Kansas City)

Date: 02/18/18 17:31
Charger at idle sounds most distinct (Kansas City)
Author: inCHI

Back in December I was on #3 passing through Kansas City. We got in early, which extended the already long layover. As I walked around, I was surprised at the idling sound I heard from the Charger on the Missouri River Runner. The video is a 20 second clip to hear it. I've seen chargers at several times at several speeds and as others always comment, they seem nearly silent. But here, idling, the sound was more distinct.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/18/18 18:57
Re: Charger at idle sounds most distinct (Kansas City)
Author: irhoghead

Sounds like my washing machine during the spin cycle.

Date: 02/18/18 20:43
Author: NYC4096

Sounds just like a German Panzer Tank!
Or a 427 Chevy with a serious rod knock!

Date: 02/18/18 22:28
Author: coach

Not EMD.  Not GE.  Not ALCO.  Not FM.  Totally new, unique sound.  And yes, in this recording, it does sound like a heavily loaded washing machine on spin cycle!

The most interesting sounding engines right now are the GE EVO engines.  At idle, they burble and wheeze and rasp with a nice, faint ALCOish sound.  Then when they rev up, the engine sounds more and more like a raspy catalytic converter, almost an ALCO sound from earlier models......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/18 23:48 by coach.

Date: 02/19/18 14:20
Author: NYC_L4a

Interesting, thanks for posting the video. I like it: Sounds "tough" and powerful.

Date: 02/19/18 19:24
Author: ironmtn

First time I've heard the sound of one. Pretty much what I would have expected of a high-rev 4-cycle diesel, which is what the Cummins QSK95 engine is. Yup, there is a resemblance to a washing machine on spin cycle (although mine's a GE -- so how did that happen?).

Interesting. Looking forward still to my first encounter with an operating Charger. I've seen several parked and shut down, but none in operation. Thanks.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds