Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > Pacific Parlour car finale

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/19/18 11:43
Pacific Parlour car finale
Author: Railfan2

Train #4 the SW Chief, arrives into Galesburg, Illinois with 2 of the Parlour cars heading east today to their final resting place at Beech Grove. Nice to see them on the original rails for the final journey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/18 11:44 by Railfan2.

Date: 02/19/18 13:17
Re: Pacific Parlour car finale
Author: Flyer92122

A few more from today in Galesburg and two from December leaving Los Angeles:(

Date: 02/19/18 13:18

Leaving Los Angeles basin in a tunnel.

Date: 02/19/18 13:20
Author: daniel3197

BY CHicago MH Tower at 1456 CT --2-19-18
RIP Pacific Parlor Cars I loved having you here in california.

---Daniel

Date: 02/19/18 13:46
Author: andersonb109

This is so sad. Not so much for these particular cars. After all, they are just cars. But that Amtrak can't provide some semblance of premium service on selected long distance trains. Wouldn't it be easy and not too expensive to convert some Superliner Lounges to new parlor cars? Sitting in the current lounge configurations is at times less than a pleasant experience. While the windows are large and visibility is good, the seats are uncomfortable and certain passengers not often found in sleepers make the experience poor, laying down sleeping on the seats, endless talking on phones, kids running amok unsupervised, babies being changed on the tables, and so on. VIA's Canadian has a first class lounge. Sometimes more than one. Why not Amtrak? Why couldn't the existing Parlour Car furniture be utilized. It's not that old. Through on some table cloths on the existing tables and a dedicated competent attendant and there you would have it. Separate meals would not be needed. I would happily pay more for my sleeping car fare to have this amenity. I'm sure others would as well. And while they are at it, how about keeping one half of the diner for Sleeping Car passengers. While some experiences have been ok, I've had some really poor experiences being seated with some, but certainly not all coach passengers. I don't recall ever having an issue with anyone from the sleepers. Again on VIA Rail, during the off season when meals aren't available in the coach section Skyline, those passengers can use the diner. But they are always seated separately from the sleeping car passengers.

Date: 02/19/18 13:49
Author: viatrainrider

I am from the Midwest so Coast Starlight a bit out of my geographic area but enjoyed two Pacific Parlor rides on Starlight and one when one of them was subbing on Cascade Vancouver to Seattle. I believe it was being used for Business Class.

Date: 02/19/18 13:49
Author: BoilingMan

Good bye with mixed memorys- I truely hated working them (LSA) in their previous general service configuration, but I sure loved riding them later (in their third life) as a Parlour Car passenger!

Date: 02/19/18 17:27
Author: kbmiflyer

Shortly after venturing through Galesburg and past MHtower to end the journey from LA, the cars rest in the Amtrak yard under a warm cloudy Chicago Night

Date: 02/19/18 18:33
Author: irhoghead

Amtrak has made so many bad decisions over the years that we have all lost count. Getting rid of what was the best passenger service experience in their entire system by far in the Parlour Cars, especially as they were first set up under Brian Rosenwald, has got to rank up there near the top. They had a marketing gem in these cars, but failed to capitalize on them. Instead, Mr. Anderson just looked at some numbers a bean counter cooked up and "saved" the company by eliminating their so called expense. Penny wise but pound foolish. Why does Amtrak consistently step over a hundred dollar bill to pick up a penny?

Date: 02/19/18 18:40
Author: edsaalig

So this now makes the Coast Starlight a so, so train? Nothing special anymore. Another brick in the case to discontinue the Coast Starlight. More bricks to come! Next step to make it an all coach train to Seattle?

Date: 02/19/18 18:48
Author: RuleG

edsaalig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So this now makes the Coast Starlight a so, so
> train? Nothing special anymore. Another brick in
> the case to discontinue the Coast Starlight. More
> bricks to come! Next step to make it an all coach
> train to Seattle?

In recent years, I've enjoyed trips on the Southwest Chief, California Zephyr and Empire Builder. Did not feel that any of them were "so, so trains" because they lacked the Pacific Parlour cars. These trains are wonderful on their own merits. Similarly, the Coast Starlight should also be able to remain in service as a full-service train without the Pacific Parlour Car assuming that Congress chooses to provide sufficient funding to maintain a national network of long-distance trains,

Date: 02/19/18 20:02
Author: BoilingMan

Jeez.  How 'bout another perspective-  It would not have been unreasonable for Amtrak to have retired these cars when the second order of SuperLiners were delivered.  They were very poor stand ins for the 33000 Lounge/Cafes- trust me!   But their re-invention as Pacific Parlours added YEARS to their service life.  We got  way more time to enjoy them than anyone could have expected- they far outlasted the other HiLevels!.  I, for one, think Amtrak is to be commended for being rather resourceful, actually.
Just a thought.
SR

don't mind me...
Commence whining

Date: 02/19/18 20:23
Author: miralomarail

I remember when those cars ran on Train #2, and at the 8th Street yards, In LA and everyone available, pitching in to help get the Supplies up the staircase, to the upper level, then the cars enjoyed a 2nd life on The Coast Starlight.

I just wonder , If these cars will get a 3rd Life .

Date: 02/19/18 21:13
Author: coach

I spent many a Coast Starlight trip riding those cars late at night, alone, watching the world pass by.  I loved the quiet atmosphere they provided, and their wonderful ride.  Those very well-sprung trucks gave the best ride on the entire train.

Wonderful place to socialize with passengers.  A classy touch.  So sad to see them gone.  Very sad.

Date: 02/20/18 01:56
Author: norm1153

As for Amtrak routes in general for west coasters, the "triangle" was great. You could start at any one of three locations and in either direction: Emeryville, Los Angeles, or Salt Lake City. The combination was Desert Wind, Zephyr, and the Coast Starlight. I'd have to consult timetables to get the most efficient connection times now, but when I did some years ago, I think it was counter clockwise.

Date: 02/20/18 04:53
Author: acltrainman

Trying to find car number for Columbia Valley car?

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 02/20/18 05:26

Date: 02/20/18 06:05
Author: goneon66

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> edsaalig Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So this now makes the Coast Starlight a so, so
> > train? Nothing special anymore. Another brick
> in
> > the case to discontinue the Coast Starlight.
> More
> > bricks to come! Next step to make it an all
> coach
> > train to Seattle?
>
> In recent years, I've enjoyed trips on the
> Southwest Chief, California Zephyr and Empire
> Builder. Did not feel that any of them were "so,
> so trains" because they lacked the Pacific Parlour
> cars. These trains are wonderful on their own
> merits. Similarly, the Coast Starlight should
> also be able to remain in service as a
> full-service train without the Pacific Parlour Car
> assuming that Congress chooses to provide
> sufficient funding to maintain a national network
> of long-distance trains,

but SOME people really enjoy a FIRST CLASS ONLY lounge when they travel by train.....

Date: 02/20/18 06:22
Author: joemvcnj

At the very least, Amtrak needs to exert some effort in kicking the long-term, sprawled-out, lounge lizards with their blankets back to the coaches.
I have zero expectation that they will. They are focused only on cost, not customer service.

Date: 02/20/18 09:20
Author: MPGILL

Thanks for the post, got to see them in FUL on the way out..

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.091 seconds