Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Passenger Trains > Question concerning PTC operating against the current of traffic

Date: 02/20/18 07:28
Question concerning PTC operating against the current of traffic
Author: Englewood

Has anyone had any experience testing / using PTC while operating against the current of traffic?

Must the PTC equipment verify that a proper Track Warrant / DTC block / Form D / has been issued.

How are the positions of hand operated switches confirmed? Operating with the current of traffic the
signal system would protect trains from open switches. Are the switches themselves communicating
with the train when operating against the current of traffic?

Please no conjecture or guessing. I would like to know how it is actually being handled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/18 07:39 by Englewood.

Date: 02/20/18 08:59
Re: Question concerning PTC operating against the current of traf
Author: mbrotzman

The method of operation is pretty uniform. Trains get a movement authority and keep track of their location. The end of a DSC or TWC movement authority would be the same as a Stop signal in signaled territory.

Switches in dark territory need point detection wired in with "the system". I don't know if the back office polls each location and then the train has maintain a constant to make sure the point alignment information is fresh or if there is direct communication locomotives and each switch location, but I can confirm that switches on PTC covered DTC/TWC/DCS lines need a relay cabinet and point detection, just like track circuited lines.

Date: 02/20/18 09:43
Re: Question concerning PTC operating against the current of traf
Author: Englewood

mbrotzman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The method of operation is pretty uniform. Trains
> get a movement authority and keep track of their
> location. The end of a DSC or TWC movement
> authority would be the same as a Stop signal in
> signaled territory

Not so much concerned with the end of the territory in this
question as with the beginning. I am assuming that current of
traffic territory must be set up for both signaled and non signaled
operation. Therefore a train must have the required authority via
PTC before starting against the current.

That is why I was asking for input from those who have actually
done it in PTC in order to understand the nuts and bolts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds