Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Passenger Trains > Cell service on Empire Builder

Date: 02/21/18 08:09
Cell service on Empire Builder
Author: phlone

Can anyone advise on the quality of Verizon (or any) cellular service across Montana and North Dakota portions of this train's route? Can one easily stay connected for long distances?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Date: 02/21/18 08:16
Re: Cell service on Empire Builder
Author: joemvcnj

My last experience was in 2012 and I had CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) then.
Along the Hi-Line, not much of any cell service between the towns, but a strong signal within them. Sitting at a station, all bars lit.
I didn't have a Smartphone until 2014. There's no Wifi on Superliners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/18 10:05 by joemvcnj.

Date: 02/21/18 08:31
Author: a737flyer

I took the Builder a few years ago and my experience was verified by friends who have taken it more recently. I found my Verizon jetpack (internet service) got better coverage than my phone which was very spotty in eastern Montana unless the train was in or near any town. The jetpack seemed quite a lot more active across Montana and east.

Date: 02/21/18 08:35
Author: RevRandy

slightly off topic -- but the cell service issue is not just about places in the wide open spaces! Always amazes me how there are big areas of no service between Richmond, VA and DC, especially around Quantico.

Date: 02/21/18 08:39
Author: joemvcnj

Maybe a function of CDMA verses GSM. (CDMA in Canada is gone).

Date: 02/21/18 19:20
Author: DavidP

Did the full Chicago to Portland route last month and never noticed more than a few minutes without connectivity. Mostly LTE or 4G on AT&T.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds