Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Passenger Trains > Brief summary of NARP/RPA’s “Day On the Hill”

Date: 04/19/18 12:21
Brief summary of NARP/RPA’s “Day On the Hill”
Author: Winnemucca

It was a very successful event I thought. Hat’s off to the staff for an excellent job in pulling it all together.

Monday was spent in meetings, including a detailed presentation by the Amtrak person in charge of PTC implementation. Sorry, as a CRS sufferer I don’t remember his name. Nonetheless while their are certainly problems (particularly with New Mexico’s roadrunner territory which has not even be begun implementation) it does not appear that there is any reason to believe the sky is falling and final deadlines will not be met. That is not my prediction that is simply what the gentleman said.

We discussed our strategy for the following day (Tuesday “Day On the Hill”). Much worry over Anderson’s intention. Items pointed out were the demise of the Starlight Parlor Car; disappearance of ink on paper timetables; why are new diners sitting in “storage” (it was said they are not and are in rotation on existing trains or awaiting final acceptance by Amtrak); what is Amtrak going to do with all it’s new money thanks to the Omnibus Bill; and why is Anderson still pleading poverty? Somebody said the rumor is Amtrak’s strategy is to “cut, cut , cut , until it breaks”. Hope it’s only a rumor.

Next day we, as a group, had 350 person meetings with various Congress people. Our Northen California delegation made it a point to visit staff of anti-Amtrak Reps Lamalfa (Truckee is in his district) La Malfa himself made a quick hand shaking appearance with us. Also spoke with teapartyite McClintock staff person who really didn’t seem to be very knowledgeable about trains. Still memorized by and car and airplane mentality. Got lots of supportive meetings with Dems who seemed determined and aware of the issues.

At end of the day was a very well attended reception at the Capitol Visitor’s Center which including a very moving tribute to family of victims of the 501 tragedy. This is a very hurried summation. Have to get on #29 in a few minutes. I’m sure I left stuff out so anyone wants to please fill out the missing info.

Keep on trackin’!

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 04/19/18 12:28
Re: Brief summary of NARP/RPA’s “Day On the Hill”
Author: joemvcnj

Notice Amtrak conveniently drops their dining car bombshell AFTER the NARP Hill event so that no one would complain of such and waste of brand new cars with large food prep areas, and changes needed to FAST Act concerning food service deficit to their Congressman.

Date: 04/19/18 12:52
Author: GenePoon

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Notice Amtrak conveniently drops their dining car
> bombshell AFTER the NARP Hill event so that no one
> would complain of such and waste of brand new cars
> with large food prep areas, and changes needed to
> FAST Act concerning food service deficit to their
> Congressman.

=========================================

Agreed. Either there was a conspiracy, or Amtrak successfully played the
NARP/PRA/RPA/ARP (or whatever they call themselves this week) Chameleon
Advocacy Club for suckers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/18 13:05 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/19/18 13:05
Author: chrsjrcj

RPA won't do anything. Their Silver Starvation campaign did nothing, and any attempt to save the PPC will be just as fruitless (and unnecessary when there are bigger fish to fry).

I always donated just to take advantage of the extra AGR points, but don't see the point this year.

Date: 04/19/18 13:21
Author: RFandPFan

Sounds like they didn't make any progress. Worse than that, they think it was successful! No more money from me.

Date: 04/19/18 14:33

This FAST Act time bomb for 2019 (to eliminate food service deficit) has been ticking for 5 years. I have seen no effort to get that part of the act repealed. It should have been number one on the agenda this year. Amtrak could also have just ignored it as they did with PRIIA Sections 210 and 216.

Even if they cut to one LSA to the snack car and one for the diner, to sleeper lounge, there is no excuse why coach passengers cannot buy their products. 360 coach passengers for one snack car with 8 tables is not feasible.

In 20 years of its existence, I have not heard Thing One of what the Amtrak Customer Advisory Council does for the $22K Amtrak hands NARP other than to direct any criticism out of the public eye.

After 38 years, my NARP membership terminates in August.

Date: 04/19/18 15:02
Author: Jishnu

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Notice Amtrak conveniently drops their dining car
> bombshell AFTER the NARP Hill event so that no one
> would complain of such and waste of brand new cars
> with large food prep areas, and changes needed to
> FAST Act concerning food service deficit to their
> Congressman.

Some of us did bring exactly that issue up. We discussed this at some length with Sen Nelson's, Transportation Subcommittee Staff, and as you know Joe, I mentioned it near the end of our meeting with Booker's staff too, and he did take note of it. The House side is currently in disarray with the current Approps Chair on his way out and the results of the upcoming elections hard to predict.

I did raise the issue in RPA's meeting before the Day on the Hill too, and since then have been working with Jim to see what would be the best way to get some action on the legislative front on this. Some think it may be possible to get something on the next Appropriation, though there is a question about whether we have to wait until the next Authorization bill. It has to do with Congressional protocol apparently. Personally since Authorization Bill recommendations are overruled by Appropriations Bill's all the time, I don't see what is the catch. But politics is politics as usual. In any case the question has been raised and is being looked into.

I am one of the firm believers that just whining here and in other railroad boards never achieved anything in and of itself.

Date: 04/19/18 15:08

We brought up the food service issue at every one of our 7 other Hill meetings in NJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/18 15:11 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/19/18 16:07

joemvcnj Wrote:
> We brought up the food service issue at every one
> of our 7 other Hill meetings in NJ.

As did almost everyone else during the RPA Day on the Hill. So if there really was a conspiracy to prevent such from happening, it was a spectacular failure anyway. ;)

Date: 04/19/18 16:12
Author: gbmott

joemvcnj Wrote:
> We brought up the food service issue at every one
> of our 7 other Hill meetings in NJ.

Then what's the concern? With NARP's (or whatever it's called) legendary influence on the Hill I'm confident that legislation is being prepared as I write to amend PRIIA'08 to remove the food service mandate. Passage should be assured given the number of congressional office visits made today and the current Administration will eagerly sign it and arrange a little increase in theAmtrak subsidy to fund it.

Get a grip, this is 2018.

Gordon

Date: 04/19/18 16:13

Agree. But the timing/conspiracy thing is so transparent.

Date: 04/19/18 16:25

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Agree. But the timing/conspiracy thing is so
> transparent.

Specially to those that live on finding conspiracies everywhere :D

Date: 04/19/18 16:32
Author: stuporchief

As someone who was excited and an enthusiastic member of NARP at its founding, I'm disgusted by what this organization has become -- an apologist for Amtrak's record of doing virtually nothing to advance the cause the the U.S. passenger train for the past 47 years. I don't need to explain ... just look at the pathetic results.

Date: 04/19/18 20:38
Author: ProAmtrak

What, no talk about the "reason" Amtrak canceled trains because of snow and the only time they actually had to do it before this year was either the host railroad had issues or too many cars or engines were Bad ordered!

Date: 04/20/18 07:02
Author: cchan006

Jishnu Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Agree. But the timing/conspiracy thing is so
> > transparent.
>
> Specially to those that live on finding
> conspiracies everywhere :D

"Know your enemy, know thyself." (combined quotes from Sun Tzu and Socrates)

Pursuing conspiracies is a necessary process to achievement. That could be winning a war, or successful advocacy of passenger trains. I thank GenePoon for studying countless angles in his snarky attempt to save passenger rail from oblivion. I thank mundo for providing insights to help you guys FIGHT by studying the opposition.

Right now, NARP/RPA is totally outmatched. A guy who has climbed the top of the corporate ladder (CEO like Anderson) wouldn't have made it without knowing his opponents, and knowing himself. He's a different breed from bureaucratic-lifer like Boardman. Some conspiracies might be wrong, and that's not limited to TO, but dismissing them and going along with the standard playbook (visit a Congressman, which the opposition already knows) and underestimating Mr. Anderson's and Amtrak's intent is advocacy suicide in my book.

So bring on the conspiracies. If they are wrong, debunk them rationally.

Date: 04/20/18 08:52

It would help if conspiracies theories were constructed rationally in the first place. It is a complete waste of resources to argue among ourselves about conspiracies while the Titanic sinks. Even if this was a major conspiracy, how is that going to change the course of action we need to take at this point?

But as I said elsewhere, if they keep people from going postal and causing real harm elsewhere, I am all for throwing as many of them in here as possible. More the merrier :D

Date: 04/20/18 11:31

Nothing wrong with venting. That's what on-line forums are for. It is also not our best literary works. But is also doesn't mean we don't take other productive actions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2909 seconds