Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > Will Amtrak #30 be held tonight for Chief late arrival ?

Date: 05/14/18 08:30
Will Amtrak #30 be held tonight for Chief late arrival ?
Author: mp16

The Chief that left LAX Saturday was 11 mins. late at Kingman, 2 hrs. late at Flagstaff, 4hrs. late at Raton and is 4 hrs., 23 mins. late at Lawrence this morning.
Estimated arrival in Chicago 2 hrs., 59 mins. late at 6:14 pm. #30 Capitol departs at 6:40 pm.

I hope passengers to the east will make their connection.

Anybody know the cause of the delay ? TIA

Date: 05/14/18 09:50
Re: Will Amtrak #30 be held tonight for Chief late arrival ?

Not looking good. Chief departed KCY 11:37 am(3 hrs., 54 mins. late). Due CHI 6:32 pm (3 hrs. 17 mins. late.)

Date: 05/14/18 09:54
Author: joemvcnj

With my limited Chicago experience, Amtrak is quite heartless in making 30 leave on time, knowing 48 is the mop-up train, as is a 10 or 11pm Greyhound "Thruway" bus to Detroit.

This summer, 48's Albany connection to NY will run about 25 minutes later than 48 does, train 244 with no food service. If that fails, there is 68 and 64. If more than 3.5 hour late and it's not a Sunday, all bets are off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/18 09:55 by joemvcnj.

Date: 05/14/18 11:25
Author: kbmiflyer

If they are coming in that late, they are going to be coming in against the outbound METRA rush hour flow on the racetrack. It will be tough for them to get through that.

Depending on how many connections, they may offload them in Princeton or Mendota and bus them to South Bend. Otherwise, passengers may get a free night in Chicago!

Date: 05/14/18 11:36
Author: Fred

Just returned home from a railfan trip to Texas on The Texas Eagle. Since train was running 4+ hours late many Chicago connections were not going to be made. Was informed by Amtrak personel that outbound trains would not be held and must depart on time. I and 11 others missed our Detroit train (#354) and were put in a Party Limo to Michigan. Those passengers on The Eagle with connections for The Capitol were lucky as we arrived in Chicago at 630pm and the on board Amtrak people made sure those passengers for #30 de-trained first, Redcaps and "people carts" were right there to help transport passengers and luggage from our train on track 14 over to The Capitol on track 28.

Date: 05/14/18 11:46
Author: joemvcnj

kbmiflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they are coming in that late, they are going to
> be coming in against the outbound METRA rush hour
> flow on the racetrack. It will be tough for them
> to get through that.
>
> Depending on how many connections, they may
> offload them in Princeton or Mendota and bus them
> to South Bend. Otherwise, passengers may get a
> free night in Chicago!

I have heard of Galesburg to Toledo buses doing that fire drill. Amtrak would rather that so as to hold the train for slow buses off the NS mainline. Buses can get stuck in traffic on I-90.

Date: 05/14/18 16:43
Author: Lackawanna484

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (SNIP)
> > to South Bend. Otherwise, passengers may get a
> > free night in Chicago!
>
>
> I have heard of Galesburg to Toledo buses doing
> that fire drill. Amtrak would rather that so as to
> hold the train for slow buses off the NS mainline.
> Buses can get stuck in traffic on I-90.

That's a long ride on a bus, over 400 miles. Even South Bend is a 300 mile trip.

Date: 05/14/18 16:46
Author: Jimbo

30 shows departing Chicago on time at 6:40 PM. 4 is estimated to arrive after 8:30 PM.

Date: 05/14/18 19:13

Estimated arrival now 9:06 pm(5 hrs., 51 mins. late). I assume the passengers could connect with the Lake Shore if Amtrak expedites the transfer.

Date: 05/14/18 19:37

The Chief arrived Chicago at 9:11 pm and the Lake Shore departed at 9:30 pm.

Date: 05/14/18 19:54
Author: mp109

Once was on a late Texas Eagle making a cross platform connection with no. 30.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds