Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > New Menus on Lake Shore Limited/Cap Limited

Current Page:1 of 4

Date: 05/15/18 15:21
New Menus on Lake Shore Limited/Cap Limited
Author: chrsjrcj

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Lake-Shore-Limited-Sleeping-Car-Menu-0518.pdf

To me, leaves a little to be desired especially considering what you pay for. Passengers might want to fill up before they board the train.

Date: 05/15/18 15:23
Re: New Menus on Lake Shore Limited/Cap Limited
Author: dan

hope there are some food trucks

Date: 05/15/18 15:30
Author: jp1822

With new Viewliner Dining Cars - this is pathetic.

Also, why can't Amtrak just roll out the Viewliner Diner on the Cardinal's route, replacing the Amfleet II Lounge Car. Serve all in one there. There are enough Viewliner Diners to outfit the TWO Cardinal train sets.

Date: 05/15/18 15:41
Author: eliyahu

that menu is truly terrible. this will be my last year as an amtrak customer. i hope anderson is happy.

-- eliyahu

Date: 05/15/18 15:54
Author: jeff56

Breakfast is sad - what will diabetics eat?

Date: 05/15/18 15:56
Author: wa4umr

Where are the other pages? You mean that's it? At least it looks like you can get some salted caramel cheesecake

That's pretty bad, especially on 449. You get on in the afternoon, hopefully, you had lunch before you boarded. It would be nice to have a nice meal that evening. Train 448 gets into BOS late enough that most people would have had an evening meal. Might as well put a Subway sub shop at Springfield stop and extend it another 15 or 20 minutes to allow people to grab something to eat.

And what about those all-time staples for breakfast, eggs with bacon or sausage, toast (or French toast), or some kind of pastry?

John

Date: 05/15/18 15:57
Author: SanDiegan

Looks very "coastal." Might work for Acela riders, but not Middle-Americans on the long-distance routes.

Date: 05/15/18 16:05
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

BYO Scotch whisky.

Date: 05/15/18 16:06
Author: mbutte

So...If you don't like this change to bare-bones, pre-made cold meals (I certainly don't), the menu says exactly what we should all do:

"We want to make sure you have a great experience riding Amtrak. If
you have ideas on how we can improve our service to you, please
share them directly with our Vice President of Customer Experience at

VP.CustomerExperience@amtrak.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/18 16:06 by mbutte.

Date: 05/15/18 16:08
Author: GenePoon

That breakfast is also nutritionally deficient and diabetic-unfriendly.

Date: 05/15/18 16:11
Author: BigSkyBlue

"Seafood Americana" revisited. BSB

Date: 05/15/18 16:18
Author: carsoncity

As has been stated many times: No one travels Amtrak for the food. This seems acceptable for a one or two meal trip. Passengers on #28 have less of a choice than this for dinner when departing Portland. Everyone seems fine with it.

Date: 05/15/18 16:23
Author: ProAmtrak

What a joke, nice job Propeller Head, you're doing an awesome job improving Amtrak!

Date: 05/15/18 16:39
Author: BigSkyBlue

carsoncity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As has been stated many times: No one travels
> Amtrak for the food. This seems acceptable for a
> one or two meal trip. Passengers on #28 have less
> of a choice than this for dinner when departing
> Portland. Everyone seems fine with it.

Not so..a trip on 28 is rarely a one or two meal trip, and if you think folks are "fine" with it on 28, it is only because the next morning there will be a full breakfast in the dining car, and if going to Chicago, 4 more meals after that in the diner.

I also disagree that no one travels Amtrak for the food..an amenity of a Amtrak trip that I enjoy is eating a meal while I am looking out the window at the scenery, or chatting with folks at a community table. It doesn't have to be the 20th Century Limited, but Amtrak has hit the bottom of the sweet spot between cost and taste so far. A trip on 28 Portland-Chicago with 6 meals of this "stuff"?.....NOPE.

And rather than continue to vent or comment or argue here, I will continue to direct my energies to Amtrak and my congressional representatives, since they are the only ones in position to do something about this "pilot" program, that is already designed (Lake Shore-Viewliner, Capitol-Superliner) for all long distance Amtraks.

BSB

Date: 05/15/18 16:42
Author: amanwtf

What kind of BS is all this? Airplane food, not even close!

Date: 05/15/18 16:52
Author: dan

I am going to ride the lake shore and cell bologna pinwheel sandwiches

Date: 05/15/18 16:53
Author: Hou74-76

It bears a striking resemblance to the "Flight Fuel" menu offered by Delta on domestic flights. Miller Lite costs $7.00 on Delta. Amtrak has Bud Lite for $6.50. Looks like the competition and race is on. Sadly, the one thing I shall miss more than the food is the "community seating" in the diner. My last trip a month ago resulted in fascinating meal companions - people I would have never met by having my meal on a tray in my room.

I'll bet anything, the menu gets revised for the special needs folks and then, all shall be hailed a GREAT SUCCESS!

Date: 05/15/18 17:00
Author: johnpage

No verbosity necessary other than appalling.

Date: 05/15/18 17:00
Author: carsoncity

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Not so..a trip on 28 is rarely a one or two meal
> trip, and if you think folks are "fine" with it on
> 28, it is only because the next morning there will
> be a full breakfast in the dining car, and if
> going to Chicago, 4 more meals after that in the
> diner.

Apples and oranges. While a full-route trip on #28 can indeed be a six meal ride, the Capitol and the Lakeshore are two meals. The Silver Star run is 8 to 16 hours longer. I wonder how the no-diner menu compares. Ridership on the Star hasn’t suffered to any appreciable degree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/18 17:26 by carsoncity.

Date: 05/15/18 17:17
Author: jst3751

What all of you whiners are failing to understand is that CONGRESS mandated several years ago that Amtrak Food service MUST BE cost curtailed by Dec 31 of this year, IIRC.

That MANDATE has nothing to do with the current Amtrak CEO or the current federal administration.

You constant whiners fail to understand that Amtrak has been on life-support since May 1, 1971. It is bleeding out.

Time for drastic changes.

Current Page:1 of 4

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds