Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > The mess at Cincinnati's now unmanned temporary station

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 06/10/18 03:31
The mess at Cincinnati's now unmanned temporary station
Author: TWC

The first train with Cincinnati's scab ticket agent "caretaker" left this morning. I went to drop off some friends returning to Washington, DC and stayed to watch the circus. The whole situation with the temporary station is unprofessional and unsafe. The station is a serious liability risk to Amtrak, the Cincinnati Museum Center (sublease space to Amtrak), and the City of Cincinnati (owner of Union Terminal). The station is no longer ADA accessible and someone is going to hurt themselves trying to board a train here.

The situation was bad to begin with, but was dramatically worsened by removing Amtrak's Cincinnati representatives. Tonight the station was full with over 40 people, 1 bike, and more than 15 or so self-checked bags. The train was behind schedule and left after a lengthy 20+ minutes of station dwell time. This isn't going to get better without an agent to handle bags and or position people on the platform. If Amtrak cares about on-time performance, then they are going to have to adjust the schedule or bring back the real ticket agents.

The self-check baggage didn't work. There were no written instructions for passengers or requirements to weigh bags. I noticed a lot of incorrect station codes written on tags. A lot of passengers had to lug four bags up the steep mail ramp to the platform. When the train arrived, the conductor politely informed passengers that checked baggage was discontinued in Cincinnati. Amtrak needs to figure this out ASAP because passengers are still being told they can check bags. Realistically, I don't think there is a way to handle checked baggage service in Cincinnati without an Amtrak agent. Asking passengers to walk bags to the baggage car then board their coach at the other end of the train will take an unreasonable amount of time.

The caretaker was nice, but seemed a little overwhelmed with questions and unaware that she needed passengers on the platform prior to the train's arrival. I'm not trying to criticize her. I'm criticizing the awful Amtrak manager(s) that approved this arrangement. I’m sure the temp hired into the caretaker role was doing the best she could with the limited training and resources provided to her. Draw your own conclusions about the janitorial service t-shirt uniform.

Back in the day, Cincinnati's agents would position passengers on the platform prior to the train’s arrival to speed up the boarding process. Now passengers don't know where to go and stood around for at least a minute before a conductor came to get them. The view on the platform is currently obstructed by construction scaffolding.

There are a lot of serious issues with the station itself. Many of these issues create safety risks and make the station non-compliant with ADA laws. The trailer and platform cannot be accessed by a wheelchair without assistance. This is due to rises and lips in the floor/doorways. This also prevent baggage carts from rolling unobstructed to the platform. Passengers have to lift their carts and presumably wheelchairs over these obstacles. There is no elevator in the temporary station. Passengers have to walk up a steep ramp to the platform unassisted. In some places thick rubber mats placed in the walkway actually contributed to the list of tripping hazards. The people moving golf cart used by the former Amtrak staff was still in the station, but the caretaker did not offer to take passengers up to the platform. Various doorways, including one marked "danger," where opened this morning. I had never seen those doors opened when the station was properly staffed by Amtrak personnel.

I really hate being that person filled with indignation, but this is unacceptable.

Two people have already lost their jobs because of the poor managerial decision to unstaff the Cincinnati station. Beyond that, I’m also convinced that somebody will hurt themselves trying to take too many heavy bags up that ramp. If somebody lets go of their cart, there is nothing to stop it from running into passengers at the bottom of the ramp. Amtrak is doing a real disservice to our community. I hate seeing visitors arriving by train only to be treated like sewer rats by Amtrak.

More photos will follow below. Please feel free to share these photos on other forums or with your elected representatives.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/18 21:50 by TWC.

Date: 06/10/18 03:33
Re: The Mess at Cincinnati's Now Unmanned Temporary Station
Author: TWC

More photos

Date: 06/10/18 03:34
Author: sums007

Looks like a jail.

Date: 06/10/18 03:50
Author: cabsignaldrop

Pathetic. If this is Anderson's idea of improving customer service, I'd hate to see a downgrade...

Posted from Android

Date: 06/10/18 04:49
Author: NYC4096

TWC: Thank you for the effort and excellent summary of an atrocious safety and third world-like PR problem. Your material will be shared with many. I'm mildly curious to learn what the City of Cincinnati has to say about such poor conditions and service.

Date: 06/10/18 04:51
Author: joemvcnj

Seems to be in excess of the 40 daily loading criteria just on the one train.

Date: 06/10/18 04:55
Author: MEKoch

Sounds like the Inquirer needs to do a front page first person story and embarrass Amtrak totally.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/10/18 05:16
Author: Flyer92122

Please be careful using the word scab. As a union member (pilot) that word has a very bad connotation (strike breaker). The volunteer is doing something noble the villain is Anderson and indirectly the Trump administration through Chao and others. Call your reps and senators and vote in Nov.

Thanks for the great report. If your from Ohio I’d get a copy to Sen Sherred Browns office he would be all over it even more then Manchin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/18 05:27 by Flyer92122.

Date: 06/10/18 05:24
Author: TexasChief

Excellent observation. I would sent the photos and summary to local newspaper. So sad to see Amtrak falling apart.

Date: 06/10/18 05:38
Author: PC1974

Looks like more progress to get this train removed from the national system. Congrats!

Date: 06/10/18 05:49
Author: GPutz

Treat Amtrak passengers like immigrants. Make it a bad enough experience and they will stop comming. Amtrak problem solved. Gerry

Date: 06/10/18 06:21
Author: bluesboyst

What a disgrace....This is 3rd world.....Mr. Anderson I thought you wanted to improve customer service?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/18 06:22 by bluesboyst.

Date: 06/10/18 06:23
Author: IC_2024

A well written and photographed piece, TWC, that accurately portrays a now unmanned busy station and its predictable consequences— absolutely unacceptable and unworkable!

Date: 06/10/18 07:24
Author: inCHI

No agent in a major city is absurd. To contrast to another tri-weekly train (a disgrace itself) with a similar sized city, when I rode out of El Paso recently there were Amtrak personnel answering questions, announcing the train, helping with luggage, and keeping everything smooth and organized. No doubt when they are removed the is chaos and confusion. Cancelling checked baggage out of a major city is also ridiculous.

Date: 06/10/18 07:35
Author: andersonb109

Agree with almost everything here. What a disgrace. But not sure how Trump is at fault here. Isn't Amtrak's current budget that he approved at record high? Can we just please stop blaming him for everything. Anderson is clearly at fault, not the President. And yes, do vote, particularly if you like our booming economy, record low unemployment, near record high stock markets, peace initiatives, decimation of ISIS, and efforts to keep illegals out of our country.

Date: 06/10/18 07:41

This has nothing to do with Trump nor with PRIAA and PRIAA food & beverage sections. This is all about Anderson's stupidity: failing to adjust usage metrics per trip from an annual total on a thrice weekly train, and not understanding the roll of ticket agents beyond being human turnstiles.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/18 14:20 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/10/18 07:48
Author: kk5ol

So I wonder how many Delta Airlines departures occurred w/o ticket agents under Richard Andersons reign?

RailNet802, owevaaaah

Date: 06/10/18 07:49
Author: 4400horsepower

Airplane boy needs to WAKE UP.

Date: 06/10/18 08:00
Author: toledopatch

kk5ol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I wonder how many Delta Airlines departures
> occurred w/o ticket agents under Richard Andersons
> reign?

The airline industry has been very active in reducing the ranks of counter personnel by pushing travelers toward using self check-in kiosks, and walk-up ticket sales represent a tiny fraction of all air travel.

Date: 06/10/18 08:12

The air terminals are still staffed by qualified personnel who have duties far beyond issuing tickets.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0806 seconds