Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Passenger Trains > SC44's in Michigan

Date: 06/16/18 22:36
SC44's in Michigan
Author: edgy14

Can't find an answer in searching, so wanted to see if anyone knew why Siemens SC44 Chargers are not being deployed yet on Michigan routes from and back to Chicago Union Station. Just spent a great 4 days in New Buffalo with family, and Amtrak trains go right past the back of the condo we rent and it was all P42 Genesis power all day and night.

Did I read somewhere it is due to software not yet installed for PTC on NS trackage? Something else? Seems odd that they are on all the Illinois Service routes and the Hiawatha to Milwaukee, but not yet in Michigan.

Thanks for any information in advance. Ed

Date: 06/17/18 04:40
Re: SC44's in Michigan
Author: Peak45068

I had one to Grand Rapids a few months ago.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/17/18 11:57
Author: borg

The SC44's run on the Pere Marquette between Grand Rapids, MI and Chicago. The SC44's can not run on the Michigan Central to Pontiac because the section of line that Amtrak ownes has ITCS from Porter to Kalamazoo. The ITCS, PTC and equipment on the SC44's will not talk to each other so until all the systems have a meeting together with the "new" Amtrak food service as refreshments the SC44's will not be on the Pontiac run. Orginally it was though they would be operating in the Spring. Spring ends this Wednesday so now they "think" by fall they will have hings ironed out.

Date: 06/17/18 21:00
Author: edgy14

ahh, that explains it. Thanks very much. The Pere Marquette doesn't stop in New Buffalo. I would have had to be around as the gate bells went off and engines horn sounded as it passed. Unlike with the Wolverine and Bluewater and the extra few minutes I had to walk to the back of the unit as the train stopped and worked off and on passengers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds