Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Passenger Trains > I am angry with Amtrak, tell me who to contact.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/17/18 11:51
I am angry with Amtrak, tell me who to contact.
Author: Woodman

50 of our church youth and leaders took Amtrak to San Bernardino, CA last Sunday. They returned on last nights train. The train was over booked, and most of them had to stay in the lounge car with the promise when people got off, they would get the seats. However, when new people got on they got the seats and our youth were kept in the lounge car all the way. They got no sleep, no attention, no nothing. I think they should get their money back. It was not their fault the train was over booked. What should have been a great experience turned out to be one where these folks will probably never ride Amtrak again. So the question: Who do we complain to? Or what are our options? I would rather make a phone call, but a letter or E would OK I guess. I need help right away. Amtrak blew it big time.

Date: 06/17/18 11:56
Re: I am angry with Amtrak, tell me who to contact.
Author: WAF

From where?

Date: 06/17/18 11:57
Author: Woodman

To ABQ, sorry I forgot that.

Date: 06/17/18 12:06
Author: cchan006

There are always some passengers who don't want to be in their seats, but instead, spend the time in the Lounge Car, for various reasons. Their access was denied due to overbooking. If any of them are reading this, they can also complain.

Per tiny chance that you were able to chat with the Lounge Car people who were affected, you can escalate it by complaining together. Long shot, but worth a mention.

Airline practice is to bump people up to Business or First Class, or issue vouchers based on the "severity" of the problem. Refunds seldom happen. This is a good time to test Mr. Anderson (and his lieutenants), to see if he's really "service oriented" and "greatest airline executive ever" or a pretender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 12:07 by cchan006.

Date: 06/17/18 12:07
Author: jst3751

How was a LD train like the SWC allowed to be overbooked?

Date: 06/17/18 12:09
Author: CardinalFang

Write/Call your Senators and Representative. It will hit the fan.

Date: 06/17/18 12:20
Author: PHall

CardinalFang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Write/Call your Senators and Representative. It
> will hit the fan.

Maybe...

But, write/call Amtrak first. Contact info is on their web site.
Because the first thing your congress critter's staff is going to ask is have you contacted Amtrak about this?

Date: 06/17/18 12:51
Author: ln844south

Seen the Coast Starlight 11 over booked numerous times south of Portland. Overflow sent to Lounge or if room in the Business class coach. Don't understand if these are Reserve Seat trains why this would happen. Their reservation system is very poor to say the least. Even worse when the colleges go on break or over the holidays.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 06/17/18 13:23
Author: MojaveBill

My wife and I once rode the TGV from Paris to Renne and it was overbooked because of a strike. People were sitting on the floor and in the loos...
We've also ridden in the Northeast Corridor on trains that were overbooked.But the biggest case of "overbooking" was during WWII for obvious
reasons. My Mom and brother and I once rode from Fresno to Bakersfield on the San Joaquin Daylight in a women's loo due to overbooking during the War.(We were about 6 or 7 at the time).
Airlines offer vouchers, etc. to people to take a later flight. (Except on United where they pick them up and drag them out).
Over the years I have found that the best way to get attention is to write a POLITE letter to the CEO of whatever company you are upset with.
Almost always works. Addresses are online.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/17/18 13:48
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/policies/terms-of-transportation/seating-policy.html
"Terms of Transportation
Seating
Amtrak will monitor seating of passengers to ensure compliance with the following policies:
Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
Unless specific seats are assigned, seating is on a first come - first served basis. On unreserved trains there are no guaranteed seats.
Seating arrangements will be made without regard to race, color, gender, creed or national origin.
Amtrak reserves the right, whenever operating conditions require, to transfer passengers from one car or train to another en route."

Date: 06/17/18 13:49
Author: NYC4096

A really sad situation for the youth group and an eye-opener. Someone at Amtrak either isn't paying attention or they want to destroy the business. There is absolutely no excuse for such a problem to take place.

Having booked coach reservations, I've been forced to stand - twice - upon departing northbound out of Orlando to WAS/NYP. I've seen trains overbooked with standees on several occasions over the years.

Beyond disappointing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 16:49 by NYC4096.

Date: 06/17/18 14:27
Author: robj

I'd agree it should not happen. However, honestly on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 2-3 and realistically probably a big plus for the other coach passengers. Not sure how old they are but if they are preteens to teens, they are probably hanging out, talking, having a good time. Something they will remember. Sorry, just my own memories of that time and observations of young people that age. I see them in groups and they are constantly moving around, chatting.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 14:29 by robj.

Date: 06/17/18 14:31
Author: ATSF3751

Probably better then an overbooked flight. Of course, most of the time you will be asked to give up your seat in exchange for miles, free RT tickets, or sometimes $$.

Date: 06/17/18 14:37
Author: mundo

I have seen where seat hoggers, place unpaid kids in seats and the conductor-attendants do not make them move. In fact, they will "hat check" such seats to save them.

Then their is the problem of folks getting on trains for the wrong dates, and conductor will go ahead and allow them to stay, since the train is underway to its next stop, maybe 200 + miles away.

This does not account for large number of standee's but it can add up on a long distance train.

Another issue, is if a conductor does not scan your ticket at the first train segment of your trip, then your space is cancelled out for other legs of your journey. Make sure you ticket is scanned by the conductor.

Date: 06/17/18 14:39
Author: RayH

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> Probably better then an overbooked flight. Of
> course, most of the time you will be asked to give
> up your seat in exchange for miles, free RT
> tickets, or sometimes $$.

In some cases, the airline will throw in a beating, free of charge!

Date: 06/17/18 15:22
Author: cchan006

ln844south Wrote:
> Seen the Coast Starlight 11 over booked numerous
> times south of Portland. Overflow sent to Lounge
> or if room in the Business class coach. Don't
> understand if these are Reserve Seat trains why
> this would happen. Their reservation system is
> very poor to say the least. Even worse when the
> colleges go on break or over the holidays.

I've seen this on the Coast Starlight also, predating Mr. Anderson.

I don't think Amtrak is the only organization who "fumbles" when it comes to overbooking. There was a high school basketball championship to a destination I was flying, so there was a big group on my flight (Southwest Airlines). I ran into the same group of girls for the roundtrip, and both times, flight attendants asked for 4 volunteers to take another flight with vouchers as bait. Definitely not coincidence.

With yield pricing + limited/inflexible capacity, these sorts of stuff becomes unavoidable.

During peak periods, Surfliners are standing room only, where Business Class is the car that "protects" passengers who pay for reserved seating. In Japan, bunch of extra trains are scheduled during peak season, but even then, unreserved cars are often standing room only.

I was onboard the airport-bound all-reserved seating Narita Express one time, where due to trespasser-strike delays, the train was standing room only. JR East (the railroad) decided to accommodate additional passengers from the next Narita Express, because they knew that flights (especially international) don't wait for trespasser strike delays.

I was sitting on my luggage near the vestibule, then the conductor walked by and showed me how to use a "secret" fold-down seat next to me. That sort of stuff can really cheer people up.

Date: 06/17/18 15:23
Author: mundo

Woodman, I sent you a private message.

Date: 06/17/18 15:46
Author: CountryBoy

More common than you might think! Especially on college vacation/break times real common on #3 & 5 between Chicago and Galesburg

jst3751 Wrote:
> How was a LD train like the SWC allowed to be
> overbooked?

Date: 06/17/18 16:31
Author: andersonb109

If I were a passenger on the train in a sleeper, I'd be pissed that lounge seating was being used for permanent coach seating. That's not what it's intended for.

Date: 06/17/18 16:52
Author: Mudrock

Call 1-800 USA Rail and ask for a Customer Representative and left them handle it. They should have added a car for your group.

They always treat me very well.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 16:53 by Mudrock.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0852 seconds