Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Passenger Trains > Third Rail on the ex New Haven line

Date: 06/17/18 15:36
Third Rail on the ex New Haven line
Author: kecarden

This afternoon I came across a video of someone firming on a evening Metro-North/Penn Central/New Haven filming from GCT to Stamford CT. Question is I notice when the commuter train left the Harlem line on to the New Haven there is third rail up past Mt, Vernon. When did they take away the caternary wire down and why. It been years since I live and commute to GCT everyday

Date: 06/17/18 16:35
Re: Third Rail on the ex New Haven line
Author: RevRandy

There was always a change-over from third rail (under-running) to catenary up in that area ... the exact location has shifted over the years (I remember it as being near Woodlawn). There is a delicate move that require raising/lowering pantograph and engaging third rail. There was, in the NYNH&H era, a small pile of shorn-off pantographs at the next bridge south of the conversion point because the New Haven did not always have the most well-maintained and hence responsive piece of equipment.

But, I have to add, they were a joy to ride! The evening Merchant's Limited to Boston, full diner, parlor car, a class act even as it was losing money. Nothing like it on the NEC today (No, even ACELA first class does not equal those diner meals)

Date: 06/17/18 19:28
Author: toledopatch

Metro North moved the cutover point during the mid-1990s. It used to be just east of Woodlawn Jct., where the New Haven property line with the New York Central had been. It was moved because there's a decent grade against eastbound trains on the New Haven Line out of the Bronx River valley there, and any train that didn't get its pans up quickly enough in the transition zone was prone to stalling. The changeover was moved to the vicinity of the former Columbus Avenue station and NYW&B abutment between Mount Vernon and Pelham stations.

Date: 06/18/18 10:13
Author: prrmpup

RevRandy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> But, I have to add, they were a joy to ride! The
> evening Merchant's Limited to Boston, full diner,
> parlor car, a class act even as it was losing
> money. Nothing like it on the NEC today (No, even
> ACELA first class does not equal those diner
> meals)

I actually have a consist from August 1967 which shows 3 full parlor cars, a parlor lounge car, full diner, full grill car and 6 coaches.
A class act indeed from the down at the heels, bankrupt New Haven, but you would never know it from the look of that train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds