Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Passenger Trains > Vancouver BC Seattle Cascade service

Date: 06/17/18 16:36
Vancouver BC Seattle Cascade service
Author: WP17

I'm looking at an Amtrak trip from Vancouver to Seattle later this summer. The published timetables (dated 1/2/18) show this as a Cascade service with business class. However when making a reservation, one can only purchase a reserved coach seat.

I've found several posts on TO from earlier in the year trip that mention substitute consists account of the Dec derailment on the new Point Defiance bypass route.

Can someone in the know confirm what type of consist is used on both Vancouver departures.

And can I ask why are the published Amtrak timetables not updated to reflect this?

Thanks
WP17

Date: 06/17/18 16:56
Re: Vancouver BC Seattle Cascade service
Author: deestrains

VAN-SEA trips are currently Superliners due to the continued shortage of Talgos. Amtrak derailed 2/7 so there aren't enough to even cover today's service w/o considering the extra round trips waiting on the Point Defiance bypass

Date: 06/18/18 01:53
Author: cp1400

Vancouver-Seattle trips are both covered by Talgo equipment since late May. You should be able to book business class on these trains. Sunday June 17 train 519 (Vancouver departure at 17:35) had the Mt Batchelor train set and a California Surfliner F59PHI.

cp1400

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/18 01:53 by cp1400.

Date: 06/18/18 08:44
Author: WP17

So I checked again this morning and wow, and business class fares are now displayed.

After a bit of exploring and troubleshooting, I discovered why I did not see business class fares yesterday. Yesterday I had selected a senior discount. When I select the default adult, business class fares are displayed.

I'm guessing senior discounts don't apply to premium class travel. I can accept that but the system makes it look like a senior can't even buy a biz class ticket at the full price. That does not seem right to me????

WP17

cp1400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vancouver-Seattle trips are both covered by Talgo
> equipment since late May. You should be able to
> book business class on these trains. Sunday June
> 17 train 519 (Vancouver departure at 17:35) had
> the Mt Batchelor train set and a California
> Surfliner F59PHI.
>
> cp1400

Date: 06/18/18 14:53
Author: jp1822

WP17 Wrote:
> So I checked again this morning and wow, and
> business class fares are now displayed.
>
> After a bit of exploring and troubleshooting, I
> discovered why I did not see business class fares
> yesterday. Yesterday I had selected a senior
> discount. When I select the default adult,
> business class fares are displayed.
>
> I'm guessing senior discounts don't apply to
> premium class travel. I can accept that but the
> system makes it look like a senior can't even buy
> a biz class ticket at the full price. That does
> not seem right to me????
>
> WP17
>

Lets hope Amtrak gets that glitch fixed. If that ends up in the wrong hands - won't be good for Amtrak.

Date: 06/18/18 15:51
Author: jst3751

WP17 Wrote:
> I'm guessing senior discounts don't apply to
> premium class travel. I can accept that but the
> system makes it look like a senior can't even buy
> a biz class ticket at the full price. That does
> not seem right to me????

If there is not a seperate ticketing for a senior discount, why would there be a seperate choice for a senior?

In other words, if there is nothing different about the ticket, the price, the amenities, so forth and so on, why would a choice of senior be needed?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds