Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Passenger Trains > New Am-Board Nominee: Rick Dearborn

Date: 06/21/18 06:37
New Am-Board Nominee: Rick Dearborn
Author: Dcmcrider

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-donald-j-trump-announces-intent-nominate-personnel-key-administration-posts-48/

Rick A. Dearborn of Oklahoma, to be a Member of the Amtrak Board of Directors for a term of five years.

Mr. Dearborn served as Deputy Chief of Staff for President Donald J. Trump from January 2017 to March 2018, and was the executive director of the Presidential transition team following President Trump’s election. Mr. Dearborn served as the Chief of Staff for Senator Jeff Sessions from 2005 to 2017, as the Assistant Secretary of Energy for Congressional Affairs from 2003 to 2005, and as the legislative director for then Senator Sessions beginning in 1997. Mr. Dearborn graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1988. He and his wife, Gina, split their time between homes in Alexandria, Virginia and Birmingham, Alabama.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 06/21/18 06:57
Re: New Am-Board Nominee: Rick Dearborn
Author: ats90mph

Date: 06/21/18 07:43
Author: Lackawanna484

When Attorney General Sessions was a senator from Alabama, I don't recall him being a strong supporter of Amtrak operations.

Which is a shame, because he had enough seniority to get some things done...

Date: 06/21/18 08:31
Author: Flyer92122

I stopped reading when it said Oklahoma. Maybe the south can annex OK and KS and succeed. Another Pruitt chrony.

Date: 06/21/18 08:36
Author: rantoul

Date: 06/21/18 08:46
Author: joemvcnj

Chao will have a buddy.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/21/18 08:46
Author: ts1457

rantoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meantime, in Canada...
>
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15
> ,4577612

Ordering corridor cars. Amtrak is working on ordering LDT locomotives. What is the point?

Of course, Mr. Dearborn will be bringing a different point of view and could be the swing vote against LDTs. Hopefully he will take an open view of his new responsibilities. I wish we could hear what goes on in the boardroom.

Date: 06/21/18 08:49
Author: ronald321

I don't think Amtrak has much of a future with it's current management team, because of their political background and affiliations.

Won't be surprised if they appoint John Mica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/18 08:51 by ronald321.

Date: 06/21/18 09:53
Author: bretton88

ronald321 Wrote:
> I don't think Amtrak has much of a future with
> it's current management team, because of their
> political background and affiliations.
>
> Won't be surprised if they appoint John Mica.

John Mica would actually be more qualified than some of these political nominees, he at least has a background working with transportation issues. I would certainly want to get some popcorn for the board meetings though.

Date: 06/21/18 10:54
Author: mp51w

Terrible news! There is no way this guy is going to be supportive of the long distance trains.

Date: 06/21/18 11:21
Author: JLW2K

I'm torn on this one. I love Amtrak, but hate the fact that they can't operate without all these grants. 66 billion dollars absorbed in grants is ridiculous. As someone that thinks government should be cutting costs, I understand the dilemma. As long as the government doesn't waste the savings on some other not needed programs (which I've also seen before).

-J

Date: 06/21/18 11:48
Author: DavidP

JLW2K Wrote:
> I'm torn on this one. I love Amtrak, but hate the
> fact that they can't operate without all these
> grants. 66 billion dollars absorbed in grants is
> ridiculous. As someone that thinks government
> should be cutting costs, I understand the dilemma.
> As long as the government doesn't waste the
> savings on some other not needed programs (which
> I've also seen before).
>
> -J

The $66B cited is over four a half decades, or about $1.5B per year. This pales in comparison to what most other developed economies have invested in passenger rail over the same time period....and the results show that.

Dave

Date: 06/21/18 11:53
Author: Flyer92122

DavidP Wrote:
> JLW2K Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm torn on this one. I love Amtrak, but hate
> the
> > fact that they can't operate without all these
> > grants. 66 billion dollars absorbed in grants
> is
> > ridiculous. As someone that thinks government
> > should be cutting costs, I understand the
> dilemma.
> > As long as the government doesn't waste the
> > savings on some other not needed programs
> (which
> > I've also seen before).
> >
> > -J
>
> The $66B cited is over four a half decades, or
> about $1.5B per year. This pales in comparison to
> what most other developed economies have invested
> in passenger rail over the same time period....and
> the results show that.
>
> Dave
Touché my words exactly.

Date: 06/21/18 11:54
Author: cchan006

mp51w Wrote:
> Terrible news! There is no way this guy is going
> to be supportive of the long distance trains.

LD trains is pretty much what we have left in terms of a national network. Some arguments in favor of corridor trains (including here on TO) seem to favor that as a replacement of LD trains, which I disagree with. Corridor and LD trains should supplement each other. Kind of like the Coast Starlight running in midst of the Cascades, Capitol Corridor, and the Surfliners.

Of course, dumb Game Theory mentality means there has to be a winner (corridor) and a loser (LD trains). Or worse yet, the idea that we must "catch up" to the rest of the world, so we have to abandon the LD trains because it's "outdated." Ridership suggests it still serves a useful purpose, so if people can get over the fact that America sucks in transportation compared to the rest of the developed world, then LD trains are a good thing.

I'm sure railroad professionals around the world are puzzled as to why we can't run even one train per day, nevermind one every other day!

Date: 06/21/18 12:16
Author: Moonshiner

Ugh, terrible news.

Date: 06/21/18 13:37
Author: ProAmtrak

DavidP Wrote:
> JLW2K Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm torn on this one. I love Amtrak, but hate
> the
> > fact that they can't operate without all these
> > grants. 66 billion dollars absorbed in grants
> is
> > ridiculous. As someone that thinks government
> > should be cutting costs, I understand the
> dilemma.
> > As long as the government doesn't waste the
> > savings on some other not needed programs
> (which
> > I've also seen before).
> >
> > -J
>
> The $66B cited is over four a half decades, or
> about $1.5B per year. This pales in comparison to
> what most other developed economies have invested
> in passenger rail over the same time period....and
> the results show that.
>
> Dave

Yeah and it seems here in the US everything has to be profitable to succeed, if not all hell breaks loose on why it needs to go, it's no wonder our national transportation system sucks!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/21/18 14:45
Author: n9949y

I visit yearly my banker son who with his family emigrated to the UK a few years ago. London is the world’s financial center. Compared with the US, UK train travel exceeds the quantity and quality of American train travel almost beyond comprehension for those who’ve not been there. And operated to transport the population, not necessarily to make a profit.

They live in London’s Wandsworth borough where one of the world’s busiest railway stations( no light rail, no subway )is located. It’s used by 100-120 trains an hour- not a day, not a week but an hour! Makes for rail travel in the UK and by transfer to all of Europe so easy and convenient.

On September 6, 2011 we rode on the Dorsett Express pulled by the steam locomotive Oliver Cromwell, #70013 4-6-2, from Victoria Station to Southampton (the Boat Train, for 1930’s rail history buffs) then to Weymouth and return to Waterloo station, a 12 hour trip, A comparable steam train trip on main line rail in America would have been like a NYC Hudson pulled train from Grand Central Station to Saratoga Springs, NY at speeds of 70 MPH! Steam-on main line!

Can’t, won’t do that here in America. Why, its unprofitable and unsafe-according to insurance underwriters who must warily look over their shoulders in fear of tort attorneys.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/18 17:37 by n9949y.

Date: 06/21/18 21:54
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Wick, Dick, Rick....
I see a pattern. Future board members and CEOs will be Mick, Nick then Vick. Surnames TBD.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds