Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Passenger Trains > The Mini Coast Starlight in the Oakland area

Date: 06/23/18 11:08
The Mini Coast Starlight in the Oakland area
Author: WP17

As most TO readers know, the UP mainline through the Cascades has been closed for several weeks because of a tunnel collapse. As a result, through Amtrak service on the Coast Starlight has been interrupted and Amtrak has been operating the Starlight only between Los Angles and Sacramento. The consist of this stub train is unexpectedly short -- 4 coaches and a lounge car -- no sleepers n a diner.

The tunnel repairs have been completed and Amtrak will resume full Starlight service this weekend. Accordingly I decided to capture a couple of photos this morning of the truncated Starlight (really a Coast Daylight)) as it approached both its stops in Emeryville and Jack London Square. I also included a photo of Capitol Corridor train that went by a few minutes before the Starlight to show that these stub Starlights are about the same length.

I hope this version of the train is not a harbinger of the Starlight's future:-(

WP17

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0242 seconds