Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Passenger Trains > Passenger train variety - July 12, 2018

Date: 07/15/18 19:42
Passenger train variety - July 12, 2018
Author: BrianA

Caught three passenger trains on this productive Thursday in Seattle, WA 7-12-18.

01) First was Amtrak #7 the Empire Builder after unloading passengers sets off for servicing with the Seattle skyline in the background and led by Heritage GE 822.

2) In the afternoon a southbound Sounder commuter train heads out with SDRX 922.  I have seen these labelled as MP36's and MP40's.  What exactly is the model of this locomotive?  Thanks in advance!

3)  Soon after the Sounder takes off Amtrak Cascades #507 heads out southbound past Spokane Street with AMTK 90252 on the front and F59 469 shoving on the rear.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

Date: 07/15/18 20:32
Re: Passenger train variety - July 12, 2018
Author: casco17

All with coordinated color schemes - nice

Date: 07/15/18 20:59
Author: Electroliner

There's just something about the Cascades that looks wierd, with the low-level cars.  Just sayin'.

Date: 07/16/18 02:07
Author: ClubCar

Electroliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's just something about the Cascades that
> looks weird, with the low-level cars.  Just
> sayin'.
I agree with you 100%, they look strange for sure and I wonder how they ride as compared to regular passenger cars.  One thing for sure, we don't want those type of cars here in the east.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/16/18 09:12
Author: swirsk53

My one experiencing riding a Cascades Talgo (first batch) from Portland to Seattle was a pretty smooth ride. Not much different than ride quality on NY-DC.  I agree the low seats and center of gravity were a bit different. Not bad, just different.

Date: 07/16/18 09:59
Author: King_Coal

I did a round-trip Seattle to Portland early this year. I was able to sample both types of Talgos in service. It's neat to be in a corridor with so many passenger trains, with several equipment options.

Trips were comfortable, track was fairly good (thank BNSF). Timekeeping good. Kind of a a gloomy day, but the big windows were nice for viewing.

Photos 1 & 2 are a newer set. Bright, cheery. Good window viewing.
Photo 3 is the older set. Looking a little worn, but comfortable. My seat in business class was not well aligned with windows.

Seattle station personnel were friendly; Portland not so much. Train crews were good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/18 10:02 by King_Coal.

Date: 07/16/18 11:21
Author: SPbird

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Electroliner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's just something about the Cascades that
> > looks weird, with the low-level cars.  Just
> > sayin'.
> I agree with you 100%, they look strange for sure
> and I wonder how they ride as compared to regular
> passenger cars.  One thing for sure, we don't
> want those type of cars here in the east.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Just rode one again two nights ago, they ride fine and perhaps even a bit more smooth than superliners when going around curves with the way the car bodies are designed to swing free of the wheel/pendular assemblies. And they are even just as safe.

-bird

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds