Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Passenger Trains > Side view of a Metrolink F125

Date: 08/13/18 22:26
Side view of a Metrolink F125
Author: oyw

A side profile of Metrolink F125 908 powering train # 308 through Upland (CA) today. Built over two years ago but delayed due to various problems, the 908 is one of only a few "clean-air" Tier-4's released into service at this time (I don't know the exact reasons, perhaps others here will be able to elaborate). 21st century F-unit?...not exactly but their styling has started to grow on me.

OYW

Date: 08/14/18 11:31
Re: Side view of a Metrolink F125
Author: texchief1

Nice shot.  Would Amtrak use these to replace the P42s?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 08/14/18 11:48
Author: deestrains

Amtrak has an outstanding RFP for new locos. Progress/EMD is expected to propose an F125 for the RFP. It would need a 2200 gallon fuel tank, though. I believe the Metrolink tanks are 1800 gallons. Also a door on the front to get out in the Park Ave. tunnel. The f125 does not currently allow for that.

Otherwise also expected to bid is Siemens, Wabtec, etc.

Amtrak is also looking for options for P32AC-DM replacements as well as a new style loco like the ALP-45DP with pantograph pickup capability, so we will see if EMD proposes a product for those items as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 11:51 by deestrains.

Date: 08/15/18 08:07
Author: Jishnu

deestrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak has an outstanding RFP for new locos.
> Progress/EMD is expected to propose an F125 for
> the RFP. It would need a 2200 gallon fuel tank,
> though. I believe the Metrolink tanks are 1800
> gallons. Also a door on the front to get out in
> the Park Ave. tunnel. The f125 does not currently
> allow for that.

The current RFP is not for dual-modes. Unless it is a dual mode it has zero likelihood of straying into the Park Ave. tunnels. P42s do not venture there specially at the head of a train. Only P32ACDMs.

The dual mode specification is still being finalized, worked on jointly by Amtrak and NYSDOT.

Date: 08/15/18 10:36
Author: rdjtrains

I've recently had these new engines on my Metrolink trains.  They are very attractive IMO and much better lookikng than the ugly Charger engines.  Really wish Amtrak and Amtrak California has purchased these instead.

Date: 08/15/18 11:45
Author: Jishnu

They do have abysmal dispatch reliability so far though, and they have a serious supply chain issue since some of their critical parts come from a company that is a direct competitor of the manufacturer now. :(

Date: 08/15/18 14:58
Author: mcdeo

I thought the F125 uses that 'after treatment' to make it Tier 4 compliant. For Metrolink, not a big deal. For a national RR operation, that doesn't have the facilities, seems like a deal break. I'm thinking Siemens would have the nod in this race. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds