Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak....New England

Date: 10/11/18 07:11
Amtrak....New England
Author: mp208

Downeaster (Amtrak) #692 hammers the St. Lawrene & Atlantic diamond at Yarmouth Jct, ME (9/30/18)  The SLA is dormant as the only customer in Portland has switched to trucks. Next we have  a westbound Amtrak regional (Boston-New York) pulling to a stop in Old Saybrook, CT.  Video includes another regional at Niantic and two Acelas slicing through Old Saybrook.  (10/1/18)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/11/18 07:28
Re: Amtrak....New England
Author: CP8888

How much of the SLA is dormant?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/11/18 07:57
Author: njmidland

CP8888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much of the SLA is dormant?
>
> Posted from Android

I thought B&M baked beans just north of the bridge into Portland was still getting cars?

Date: 10/11/18 08:09
Author: goneon66

great videos.  it is nice to see those passenger trains in that part of the country.  thanks for posting.........

Date: 10/12/18 05:09
Author: JPB

njmidland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CP8888 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How much of the SLA is dormant?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> I thought B&M baked beans just north of the bridge
> into Portland was still getting cars?

I don't believe so - I've attached the August 2018 view of the ex-GT toward the abandoned bridge to Portland from I-295 per Google Maps Street View - the lead to the B&M Baked Beans where covered hoppers were spotted goes off to the right. Both the lead and the bridge track appear to be blocked by a driveway. Having said that, pehaps the paved pad in the foreground could be used to unload incoming beans? OTOH, an excerpt from a May 2017 article in the Portland Press Herald re: what goes inside the B&M plant says:
"...The company’s main ingredient – pea beans – is sourced from Michigan and Manitoba and arrives by truck in 2,000-pound bags. For decades, the dry beans were shipped by train, but in the fall of 2015 the St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad discontinued freight service between Auburn and B&M – the railway’s southern terminus. B&M was the sole customer along the 24-mile stretch of rails and it was no longer cost-effective to maintain the tracks. Today the beans are transported by truck, and that has increased costs, according to production supervisor David Rickett...."

State of Maine owns the currently moribund track/RoW between Yarmouth and Portland - could become a rail trail...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds