Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Passenger Trains > Help! An Amtrak "Where is it?"....

Date: 10/14/18 08:27
Help! An Amtrak "Where is it?"....
Author: BaltimoreOhio

In the process of scanning some old snapshots I came across this one (appears to be #809) and I have no memory of taking or where/when it was.  The pictures in the box with it weren't even train shots, so I can't go by context.  The digital age spoils us with all our metadata!  Anyway, any help is most appreciated.  Thanks!

Date: 10/14/18 09:44
Re: Help! An Amtrak "Where is it?"....
Author: TipsyMcStagger

Lemont IL?

Date: 10/14/18 11:01
Author: SCAX3401

This was taken in Springfield IL.  The train is southbound at the Cook St grade crossing on the then Southern Pacific (previously Chicago, Missouri and Western and GMO, today is Union Pacific).  This would be a Chicago-St. Louis train, today called Lincoln Service, but back then I believe it was called the "State House".

Date: 10/14/18 15:31
Author: ctjacks

Springfield - the building with the glass-brick windows is the giveaway.  I don't think it looks anything like this any more around the station.

Date: 10/14/18 16:01
Author: SCAX3401

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Springfield - the building with the glass-brick
> windows is the giveaway.  I don't think it looks
> anything like this any more around the station.

This is about 1 mile south of the station and the scene hasn't changed much at all (at least as of July of this year).  The only difference would be the parking lot has faded to light gray and Chargers are now the preferred power instead of P40's.

Date: 10/14/18 18:23
Author: BaltimoreOhio

Thank you for the detailed reply, BNSF6400!  I've now added the metadata accordingly.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds