Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Passenger Trains > Kennebunk ME Downeaster station project cancelled

Date: 10/16/18 21:22
Kennebunk ME Downeaster station project cancelled
Author: illini73

The on-again, off-again proposal to add a seasonal Downeaster stop in Kennebunk, ME is now off (again) as the Board of Selectmen voted a week ago to stop the project for lack of a suitable site.  A curious quote from the Selectmen:

"As we narrowed the conversation regarding the details of the project with regard to things such as renting versus owning and space availability for parking and restrooms, it became more apparent that this location, with its significant limitations presented a situation that would make us losers if it won, meaning if it was successful, and losers if the project failed at that location."  (emphasis added) 

[The location being that of the old train station - there was NIMBY opposition at an alternate site.]

Full article from Mass Transit:

Train Station Plans come to a halt in Kennebunk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/18 21:43 by illini73.

Date: 10/17/18 00:03
Re: Kennebunk ME Downeaster station project cancelled
Author: RRBMail

I wonder who lives in "Kenne"; maybe the SS knows? 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/18 09:01 by RRBaron.

Date: 10/17/18 06:14
Author: joemvcnj

Still a ways from the trolley museum that is nearer to Kennebunkport.

Date: 10/17/18 15:03
Author: DNRY122

Like many trolley and railway museums, Seashore is very difficult to reach without a car.  

Date: 10/17/18 16:53
Author: sums007

With the Wells station  6 or so miles to the south, this is not a big deal.  Stations too close together. IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/18 16:54 by sums007.

Date: 10/18/18 06:21
Author: Dcmcrider

The stop would have been summer-only, and a considerable distance from Kennebunkport, which is actually the neighboring town and the only tourist draw in the area. And it sounds like Maine DOT wanted a station with lots of parking. The extant station site has very little.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 10/18/18 08:17
Author: joemvcnj

Did they ever look at Kennebunkport as a stop ? 

Date: 10/18/18 09:09
Author: railfan400

The railway line doesn't pass through Kennebunkport. Seashore Trolley Museum is right on the edge of Kennebunkport with the Downeaster route passing just to the west through Arundel.
joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they ever look at Kennebunkport as a stop ? 

Date: 10/18/18 10:38
Author: Dcmcrider

Backgrounder here: https://www.kennebunkmaine.us/DocumentCenter/View/2566/Kennebunk-Seasonal-Train-Stop?bidId=

As I suspected, a lot of the difficulties with this project arose from parking and access to the historic station.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds