Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Passenger Trains > VIA Rail News

Date: 11/29/18 08:01
VIA Rail News
Author: KM-ML4000

Date: 11/29/18 08:23
Re: VIA Rail News
Author: joemvcnj

Not surprised given how BBD messed up the TTC streetcar and MTA R179 subway car orders, and they don't want another CAF car situation.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/18 09:36 by joemvcnj.

Date: 11/29/18 13:29
Author: thehighwayman

As a Canadian, I definitely agree with NOT giving the order to Bombardier!
That company is forever going hat-in-hand to governments for bailouts. Unfortunately, the Canadian federal government will do anything to appease Quebec, so BBD gets whatever money they want.
I think the feds may just be starting to realize that BBD should be required to actually produce a product in order to get a contract!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 11/29/18 16:49
Author: BuddPullman

What equipment are they replacing?  Hopefully not the former Canadian Pacific Budd long distance equipment?

Date: 11/29/18 16:53

All the Corridor equipment, some, not the REN cars, to be cascaded off-corridor. 
I suppose shops in Winnipeg and Vancouver will have to get GE P42 friendly.

Date: 11/29/18 22:46
Author: jp1822

Are locomotives included in the order? I didn't think they were, but will gladly stand corrected. 

Has VIA taken an official stand or position on the Renaissance cars? I was up to date on this information a few months ago, but not sure what has emerged now. I know the Renaissance equipment is holding down the Ocean's schedule, but I believe there are still Renaissance consists running in the corridor. As much as the Renaissance fleet may be a maintenance concern, there is still a fleet of cars running, at least to hold down the Ocean's schedule (and very much needed so the ex-CP Budd cars can go to the Canadian). But if new corridor equipment is coming, what is the long term plan for the Renaissance fleet now - retire and just maintain for the Ocean (and perhaps the Chaleur if it is to ever return)? The Chaleur, or train to Gaspe, was supposed to get Renaissance equipment, but never did. If the train was operating today, it could actually operate with the former third Ocean Renaissance consist (Park Car tied on the back), but better to run separate from the Ocean so as to avoid the "split" at Matapedia. 

VIA had talked about disposing of the Renaissance car shells stored up near Thunder Bay, but have they really been discarded? VIA had still be storing the "kits" that came with the "shells" of the car, but not sure what has become of that either as of recent. 

I actually liked the Renaissance sleeper - but only if used for the overnight between Montreal and Toronto, or had a Park Car attached to the rear so there was at least a descent "lounge" car in the consist. Great move to add the Park Car onto the Ocean's consist year-round. This CERTAINLY is a value added for sleeper passengers, provides a necessary lounge on the train (Renaissance Service Car doesn't cut it).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Date: 11/30/18 06:00
Author: DrawingroomA

From what I have read, locomotives are included in the order. VIA has talked about 32 trains.

In answers to questions on the on-line "annual public meeting" VIA has said the Renaissance trains will be discontinued in the east by 2021. That should coincide with delivery of the new corridor equipment. But there was a vague answer to a question about sleeping cars on the Ocean. VIA indicated that there would be no change to sleepers.

Although for next year's summer season the Canadian will be reduced to twice-a-week along the entire route with a short-turn Vancouver-Edmonton train, four consists will still be required. There are several Chateau sleepers which are not used regularly, but they are getting shabby and VIA has said there are no plans to give them the major refurbishment that the Manor cars received a few years ago.

I will miss the Renaissance equipment if it is retired from the Ocean.  It is not just the sleepers I am fond of.  On my recent trip on the Canadian I was reminded of how cramped the Budd diners are compared with the Ren. diners, in which it is possible to dine without rubbing elbows with the person next to you. The tables for two are appreciated by many couples. I don't need reminding that the Ren. meals are heated as opposed to being cooked on board, but I have been told when a Budd train is substituted for the Renaissance the usual Ren-type meal service is provided in the Budd diner.   As for the service cars, it is handy having them adjacent to the dining car. If making the long trek forward it is great to have a place to sit for a few minutes before your sitting is called.

Date: 11/30/18 06:31

Sounds like at least during the summer on or after 2021, the Ocean's sleepers will be shabby Chateau cars.
I would assume the summer-only Edmonton-Vancouver Canadian will be a shorter consist than the Toronto ones.

Date: 11/30/18 07:33
Author: KM-ML4000

Chargers are included, along with the trainsets, which will be Brightline/Caltrans/IDOT cars, which are the North American variant of the "Railjet" trains in service on the OBB in Austria.

Date: 11/30/18 10:33
Author: jp1822

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I have read, locomotives are included in
> the order. VIA has talked about 32 trains.
>
> In answers to questions on the on-line "annual
> public meeting" VIA has said the Renaissance
> trains will be discontinued in the east by 2021.
> That should coincide with delivery of the new
> corridor equipment. But there was a vague answer
> to a question about sleeping cars on the Ocean.
> VIA indicated that there would be no change to
> sleepers.
>
> Although for next year's summer season the
> Canadian will be reduced to twice-a-week along the
> entire route with a short-turn Vancouver-Edmonton
> train, four consists will still be required. There
> are several Chateau sleepers which are not used
> regularly, but they are getting shabby and VIA has
> said there are no plans to give them the major
> refurbishment that the Manor cars received a few
> years ago.
>
> I will miss the Renaissance equipment if it is
> retired from the Ocean.  It is not just the
> sleepers I am fond of.  On my recent trip on the
> Canadian I was reminded of how cramped the Budd
> diners are compared with the Ren. diners, in which
> it is possible to dine without rubbing elbows with
> the person next to you. The tables for two are
> appreciated by many couples. I don't need
> reminding that the Ren. meals are heated as
> opposed to being cooked on board, but I have been
> told when a Budd train is substituted for the
> Renaissance the usual Ren-type meal service is
> provided in the Budd diner.   As for the service
> cars, it is handy having them adjacent to the
> dining car. If making the long trek forward it is
> great to have a place to sit for a few minutes
> before your sitting is called.

I would think that the Renaissance sleepers would continue on, and perhaps the whole train remains Renaissance oriented, as there are clearly not enough Budd Chateau and Budd Diners to handle the Maritime service even on a tri-weekly basis, and the reduced frequency on the Canadian (if Canadian is to maintain its 25 to 30 car peak season consist). Maintenance prone, yes, but maybe VIA tries to keep them going on the Ocean only...... VIA's is so tight with Diners.

Date: 12/01/18 08:46
Author: Flyer92122

"VIA's is so tight with Diners"

Ominious for Amtrak riders. If they bought any from Amtrak lets hope their Heritage and not V2's. I'm not optimistic though. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0917 seconds