Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Passenger Trains > Photos of President Bush train inside and out from the Brits

Date: 12/06/18 10:29
Photos of President Bush train inside and out from the Brits
Author: stevelv

Date: 12/06/18 10:42
Re: Photos of President Bush train inside and out from the Brits
Author: ATSF3751

This was my first look at the interior of the UP fleet. My first thought after seeing the dome-diner is that the seats are original. The coverings are not. They originally were covered in a vinyl like substance as I recall and were a shade of reddish brown. 
Nothing in that train appeals to my sense of style. Reminds me of grandma's house. 

Still, it's not my money and my phone and email has been surprisingly silent from any messages from UP Headquarters asking for my decorating advice. LOL 

Date: 12/06/18 11:29
Author: andersonb109

If only Amtrak interiors could lookhalf that good. Wonder if Delta Dick knows there are people riding on the open platform? Hope no one falls off. 

Date: 12/06/18 13:12
Author: SANSR

"Still, it's not my money and my phone and email has been surprisingly silent from any messages from UP Headquarters asking for my decorating advice."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THAT was funny!

Date: 12/06/18 13:26
Author: ATSF3751

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If only Amtrak interiors could lookhalf that good.
Uh....well.....half that good? Which would mean Amtrak would be only half as dated as the UP train. 

> Wonder if Delta Dick knows there are people riding
> on the open platform? Hope no one falls off. 

Don't think Delta Dick gives a rats ass what UP does on THIER trains. 

Date: 12/06/18 15:05
Author: bmarti7

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6466119/P
> residential-funeral-train-nearly-50-years.html

That's a great set of photos! Some accounts said "thousands of people" lined the tracks. It was more like tens of thousands.

BB

Date: 12/07/18 10:20
Author: ctjacks

The cars with a lot of extra woodwork added - such as the ex-9009 - had this done by a long-gone tourist operator - I think they operated in Paw Paw, MI and on Reno, NV trains in the 1980s.  UP then reacquired them in the early 1990s, and kept the modified interiors.  They were mainstays on the 844 and 3985 excursions of the era.

The dome diner called "City of Portland" now is (I think) the only excursion car owned by UP since 1971.  It had a fairly-original interior back in the 1990s, but as you can see now, it has been fancied up quite a bit.  UP got rid of most of their executive fleet to Mexico circa 1990, and would up reacquiring much of it later on in the decade.

If you want to see a dome diner in original configuration, the National RR Musem in Green Bay has one.

Chris.

Date: 12/07/18 21:23
Author: mundo

In 1987, UP sold/gave to Mexico  four instruction cars, four business cars, three sleepers (Sun series), one diner/lounge, one all counter diner, five chair cars, one dome coach, one lounge, one baggage.
Little of this would have been assigned to the executive fleet at the time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds