Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > Alstom signs a contract to rebuild two more Rocky Mountaineer lu

Date: 12/20/18 16:08
Alstom signs a contract to rebuild two more Rocky Mountaineer lu
Author: PacificElectric1961

WEBWIRE – Thursday, December 20, 2018https://www.webwire.com/prmedia/6/233277/233277-1-m.jpg?2018122019637Alstom has been awarded a contract to rebuild two additional SilverLeaf cars for Canadian customer Rocky Mountaineer. The project requires the cars to be stripped to their frame and trucks and entirely re-engineered; producing newly refurbished train cars for the Rocky Mountaineer fleet. These will be the 11th and 12th SilverLeaf cars Alstom rebuilds for Rocky Mountaineer, with cars 9 and 10 to be delivered in March 2019.“We are thrilled to continue our relationship with the iconic Canadian Rocky Mountaineer. Alstom has rebuilt eight cars thus far which are in service as part of the fleet, with two others currently being rebuilt and modernized at our facility in Mare Island, California,” said Angelo Guercioni, Managing Director, Alstom Transport Canada.The modernization work includes installation of oversized dome windows, spacious seats, and a new interior, which extends the car’s lifetime by at least 10 years. The work also includes a thorough engineering design and review to deliver a quality product that assures a vastly improved customer experience thanks to new systems (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) to increase guest comfort, as well as new flat and curved windows that give guests a 167% larger viewing area than before.Alstom began working on overhauling the Rocky Mountaineer SilverLeaf cars in 2014. It has since converted eight cars, which also includes mechanical, electrical, and rail testing, as well as commissioning.With its long-standing experience as a system integrator, rolling stock designer and manufacturer, Alstom is a preferred partner for modernisation projects to extend the lifespan of rolling stock. The company is currently working on several overhaul projects in North America, including the Port Authority Transit Corporation, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and the Maryland Transit Authority.Alstom’s Mare Island facility in Vallejo, California, boasts 100, 000 sq. ft. of production and warehouse space and a team of more than 100 employees. In addition to overhauling the coaches for the Rocky Mountaineer, the site also supports the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), for Vendor Management Inventory. The Mare Island team is also modifying bi-level coaches for Caltrans, modernizing light rail vehicles for Los Angeles (LACMTA) and repairing damaged trains for other customers.

Date: 12/20/18 16:39
Re: Alstom signs a contract to rebuild two more Rocky Mountaineer
Author: jp1822

Weren't the Silver Leaf Cars former Red Leaf Coaches, which were former CN dayniter coaches? If so - this supports how far the rebuild has gone!

Rocky is not selling any more Red Leaf service. Do they offer these cars at all as additional lounge or other cars that can be occupied by those on the Rocky Mountaineer trains? 

Rocky is concentrating on the high end revenue only - Silver and Gold Leaf only. They traded in shorter consists for higher end revenue!

Date: 12/20/18 17:58
Author: TCnR

This would explain the two single level passenger cars with the Rocky Mountaineer paint scheme passing through Dunsmuir a few weeks ago at the end of a UPrr freight train.

Date: 12/20/18 20:19
Author: MojaveBill

Suggestion: Posts are much easier to read if they are broken up in paragraphs. 

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 12/21/18 04:27
Author: Ray_Murphy

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suggestion: Posts are much easier to read if they
> are broken up in paragraphs.

When I post pre-written text into a new TO post, all of the CR/LF controls are lost and I always have to edit the post one time to restore them.

Ray

Date: 12/21/18 07:07
Author: Flyer92122

How’s the Rocky Mountaineer doing anyway? I don’t know where but I’ve got the impression not so well the last couple years. I’d rather do VIA prestige if I was going to dump some serious money. I’m sure the freight delays don’t help either.
Cars refurbished is a good sign.

Date: 12/22/18 20:32
Author: jp1822

Flyer92122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How’s the Rocky Mountaineer doing anyway? I
> don’t know where but I’ve got the impression
> not so well the last couple years. I’d rather do
> VIA prestige if I was going to dump some serious
> money. I’m sure the freight delays don’t help
> either.
> Cars refurbished is a good sign.

With Rocky being privately held, I am not sure if we will ever know the full financial picture. But typically if a company is investing in its fleet, particularly fleet renewal (Gold Leaf and Silver Leaf), let alone BUYING additional Gold Lead service from across the pond (Europe - Germany I believe - wouldn't want that shipping bill!), I would think Rocky Mountaineer is doing pretty darn well. They also are only going after the premium revenue of Gold Leaf and Silver Leaf service. Typically two cars each for each of the Rocky Mountaineer Routes:

1) Vancouver to Lake Louise/Banff
2) Vancouver to Jasper
3) North Vancouver to Jasper via Prince George (old BC Route)

Rocky has also done a pretty nice job of taking on a given route, building up its ridership, doing a fleet renewal, building up further ridership, and then potentially looking for a new route or route expansion (Vancouver to Seattle extension). They dropped the portion of the route between Banff and Calgary, but they did their fair share of surveying and market research to ensure that move would be a good one to do. Worked out fine. 

Freight delays? Not sure if Rocky is affected that much considering it pays a boat load to CN and CP to get priority. Between Kamloops and Vancouver there's largeyly directional running. And then there's the overnight layover. 

The Red Leaf coaches are still around, but as mentioned, Rocky doesn't sell these seats anymore. Some seem to be used by the crew. Some are being converted into additional Silver Leaf coaches. Not sure if some will be converted into lounge cars an added onboard amenity or place for additiona onboard activity. Since they don't offer the Red Leaf coach seating and are concentrating on just the high end revenue, the consists of the Rocky Mountaineer do have the ability to shrink, but Rocky seems to still be hauling some Red Leaf coaches around "just to fill out the consist." Not sure if its functional or for appearances. Considering the Red Leaf coaches are former CN Daynighter coaches from eons ago, likely a smart move to potentially do a redux on them, or overhaul into Silver Leaf coaches. 

So I would think Rocky is doing well. It's also got all the "add-ons" to offer as part of the Armstrong Hospitality family ownership in and outside of the Canadian Rockies! 

Armstrong and the political connections seem to have insulated operations pretty well. VIA Rail may be operating daylight west of Kamloops now, but not when Rocky Mountaineer starts up for the season. And no way will VIA ever be allowed back on the CP route through the Canadian Rockies - which is where the population is. 

VIA Prestige and Rocky Mountaineer are, in my opinion, TWO totally different products. And come April, with the new schedule, if you want the full daylight experience of the Canadian Rockies - especially between Vancouver and Kamloops and Kamloops to Jasper - Rocky Mountaineer is the train of choice. VIA will service Kamloops - in both directions - in the dark once again!!! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds