Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Passenger Trains > Best ways to photograph Big Ten Curve/Moffat Tunnel in Colorado?

Date: 01/08/19 20:19
Best ways to photograph Big Ten Curve/Moffat Tunnel in Colorado?
Author: RutledgeRadio

I'm planning a trip out west to film the Amtrak California Zephyr in various locations. Two places I'd like to visit are the Big Ten Curves and Moffat Tunnel, particularly the western portal. There appears to be some roads going up to houses on the cliff overlooking Big Ten Curve. I'm guessing that's my best bet there, if there aren't any trees in the way. The western portal of Moffat Tunnel is a bit more mystifying, though. Although it appears you can get right up to the curve after the tunnel, I've heard that it can be a little difficult to access (parking near it, and such). Anybody had any trouble taking pictures there in recent years?

Date: 01/08/19 20:30
Re: Best ways to photograph Big Ten Curve/Moffat Tunnel in Colora
Author: symph1

The west portal couldn't be easier. It's right at the base of Winter Park ski area. On the photo you see #5 coming out of the tunnel. The platform you see is for the Ski Train. During the ski season you have to pay for close-in parking, or park at an outlying lot and take a free shuttle bus. Other times of year parking at the base is free.

Date: 01/08/19 20:43
Author: baltimore

A few years ago there was a nice down on shot of Big Ten Curve from Blue Mountain Rd. Hopefully it hasn't become overgrown. Just park along the road and shoot. A 135mm lens was great. There's a local that will come out from his house to talk to you which helps pass the time away. Use to work for the AEC and has a lot of interesting stories. A lot of the land around Big Ten Curve is park land and freely accessible per a conversation I had with park employees. Just watch for slithering critters.

Baltimore

Date: 01/08/19 22:40
Author: dan

even better from up  high they have done some tree/fire mitigation it looks like in other's photos, my last pics up there were in seventies i think

Date: 01/09/19 18:38
Author: steamfan49

I would recommend purchasing a copy of 7idea Productions DVD or Blu-ray of THE MOFFAT ROAD Part 1 - Denver to East Portal.  Aaron Bentson, the producer/videographer shares his locations during the narrative and will most definitely improve your chances of getting some great images.

Ronnie
Amarillo TX

Date: 01/10/19 07:09
Author: 37176

I knocked on the door of a house in Blue Mountain Road and asked if I could photograph the curves from his property. He said yes. He was in his eighties and had lived there a long time. Unfortunately, while I was there no trains ran. I guess Amtrak turning up is more reliable than frieght so maybe you will have more luck.

Rugby
UK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds