Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Passenger Trains > Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 01/11/19 10:02
Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: SteveThorpe

Anyone know why?

Posted from Android



Date: 01/11/19 10:26
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: 79mph

Supposed to be another horrible life-threatening blizzard.
When they quit paying the weather bureau people, bad weather results.



Date: 01/11/19 10:38
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: bluesboyst

79mph Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposed to be another horrible life-threatening
> blizzard.
> When they quit paying the weather bureau people,
> bad weather results.
Quick get the milk and bread.. We are all going to die....



Date: 01/11/19 11:11
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: 79mph

Airlines are waiving ticket change surcharges.
So you know "Winter Storm Gia" is going to be a b--ch.
Government offices will be shut down (oops, already are).



Date: 01/11/19 11:19
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: mundo

 [b]✔[/b] @AmtrakNECAlerts SERVICE ADVISORY: Due to impending weather Train 50 departing Chicago (CHI) on 1/12 will terminate in Indianapolis (IND) and Train 51 departing New York on 1/13 will originate in Indianapolis. No alternate transportation will be provided between New York and Indianapolis. 
  •  
  •  



Date: 01/11/19 11:24
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: MEKoch

What a sad sad commentary this Amtrak policy is on railroading.  I expect the next thing will be to cancel most of the trains on snowy days - ALL winter because "it is cold."  



Date: 01/11/19 11:33
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: Lackawanna484

Do the host railroads plan to operate normally?

Posted from Android



Date: 01/11/19 11:38
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: glendale

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do the host railroads plan to operate normally?
>
> Posted from Android

It has nothing with the ability of Amtrak to run the trains. It has everything to do with the litigious we live in (boarding/unboarding/stations). 



Date: 01/11/19 11:40
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: Lackawanna484

glendale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do the host railroads plan to operate normally?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> It has nothing with the ability of Amtrak to run
> the trains. It has everything to do with
> the litigious we live in
> (boarding/unboarding/stations). 


Thanks. I know that sometimes the host railroads will ask ATK to suspend operations in threatening weather. NS did that with the Roanoke service a few weeks ago.



Date: 01/11/19 12:34
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: DevalDragon

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do the host railroads plan to operate normally?

Of course they plan to. Unfortunately reality gets in the way...



Date: 01/11/19 15:53
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: PC1974

Hunter's Precision Railroading made it to Amtrak...  The short term cuts including cancelations make the bottom numbers look better today.  To H___ with tomorrow.

Precision Railroading = Railroading On The Cheap



Date: 01/11/19 20:22
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: Duna

79mph Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposed to be another horrible life-threatening
> blizzard.
> When they quit paying the weather bureau people,
> bad weather results.


Local Springfield news saying "Storm of the Century".



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/19 20:28 by Duna.



Date: 01/11/19 20:48
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: jp1822

St. Louis, downstate Illinois - they are looking at two feet or more of snow. The Cardinal route has ice and snow being predicted. Not sure if I am seeing TONS of snow along the Cardinal's route, but time will tell.  



Date: 01/12/19 01:42
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: SP4360

Do any of you experts ever think that the possibilty of power outages, trees down across tracks, people and crews not being able to get to stations and any number of weather related issues have anything to do with cancellation of trains? It's not like it used to be where there were section gangs every 10 miles to keep the railroad. Now it's 1 gang per 50 miles. If power is off and signal batteries go flat, who wants to be on a train flagging signals for miles. Frozen switches, you want to climb out and dig them out? Didn't think so. You might want to take that all weather transportation, the airplane. Oh wait......................



Date: 01/12/19 10:25
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: TWC

SP4360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do any of you experts ever think that the
> possibilty of power outages, trees down across
> tracks, people and crews not being able to get to
> stations and any number of weather related issues
> have anything to do with cancellation of trains?
> It's not like it used to be where there were
> section gangs every 10 miles to keep the railroad.
> Now it's 1 gang per 50 miles. If power is off and
> signal batteries go flat, who wants to be on a
> train flagging signals for miles. Frozen switches,
> you want to climb out and dig them out? Didn't
> think so. You might want to take that all weather
> transportation, the airplane. Oh
> wait......................

But that is not what is happening. We are talking about 3-8 inches of snow over an entire day. Amtrak can safely run under those conditions, but they are choosing not to. Sweeping out a frozen switch is a part of being a railroader. Amtrak crews have been doing it safely for decades. CSX crews are doing it today, because the railroad is open and operating. Cancelling the Cardinal (3x weekly service) means folks won't be able to get to their destination for days. The perception that the train doesn't run in the snow will kill off more ridership than boxed meals ever will. Canceling trains during run-of-the-mill snow storms is by far the most misinformed policy of Amtrak's current inexperienced non-railroader management team. Amtrak passengers in WV, VA, OH and KY expect the train to run late, but they expect it to run reguardless of weather. In January, the Cardinal is not a train full of sightseers and railfans. People use the Cardinal to seek medical care, return to school, attend job interviews, and to visit their loved ones. Delaying these trips by DAYS causes real harm and forces people to drive in the "unsafe" conditions Amtrak canceled the train for. Amtrak recieves millions from the taxpayers to run this train and they owe the communities that depend on the train a good service.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/19 20:08 by TWC.



Date: 01/12/19 18:17
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: tq-07fan

Greyhound is operating regular schedules in the same region as the Cardinal shutdown tomorrow. Anymore Amtrak truly is Novelty Transportation.

Jim



Date: 01/12/19 18:20
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: wabash2800

ROTFLMBO! A coworker said that a study shows the most items bought in such a situation are beer and pop tarts. (I don't don't know if I believe the study.)

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

bluesboyst Wrote:
> Quick get the milk and bread.. We are all going to
> die....



Date: 01/12/19 19:31
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: Lackawanna484

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ROTFLMBO! A coworker said that a study shows the
> most items bought in such a situation are beer and
> pop tarts. (I don't don't know if I believe the
> study.)
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com
>
> bluesboyst Wrote:
> > Quick get the milk and bread.. We are all going
> to
> > die....

Beer and pulled pork



Date: 01/12/19 21:06
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: AKYtrainNut

I woke up Saturday morning expecting inches of snow in my driveway, I was hoping to try out my new snowblower>>>>>NOTHING!  AKY, Ashland was barren! About 9am we had some scattered flurries and then a misty nuisance rain all day, that was it.



Date: 01/13/19 12:44
Re: Train #51 cancelled Sunday 1/13
Author: 79mph

Vienna sausages in the little cans.
Yum.



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds