Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Passenger Trains > Charleston SC Amtrak Station

Date: 02/09/19 12:19
Charleston SC Amtrak Station
Author: boejoe

Passed by the location in North Charleston earlier today and the old 1950's era statiion (with white and colored waiting rooms when oriignally opened) has been torn down.  The new structure is open for Amtrak business but the intetercity bus line, Southeastern Stages, does not yet have their ticket window in operation.  Have not yet determined when formal dedication will take place.
Station sign, seen from the corner of my eye as I drove away, seemed to say: "N. Charleston".  Will have to double check next time in that neighborhood.

Date: 02/09/19 16:19
Re: Charleston SC Amtrak Station
Author: cabsignaldrop

Thanks for the info. I was not aware Charleston was getting a new station.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/09/19 20:40
Author: P

How sad. Sort of. I traveled to that station 4 years ago and found it like it probably was 40 years ago. Old, but with character. There was nothing walkable from the station. How far away is the new one?

I hope the new station is nice. I look forward to seeing it.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/09/19 22:13
Author: boejoe

New station immediately to the north of the former building.  Original site selected was rejected by CSX as Amtrak dwell times would have interfered with switching at nearby Bennett Yard.  New station will accommodate local and long distance bus lines as well as rail and taxis.  Supposed to have a meeting room for local community civic events, etc.  Exterior landscaping and final parking lots are still incomplete.

Date: 02/10/19 04:14
Author: ctillnc

> ... probably was 40 years ago. Old, but with character.

Former station was built in 1956. Some folks give the ACL credit for building many new passenger stations during that era. Other folks say that those stations had thrifty designs (to be charitable) and that segregation led to bizarre interior designs. 

Date: 02/12/19 16:32
Author: ProAmtrak

Sad the old station got torn down, was a nice structure when I was there back in 94 after along flight from Germany and back to my main Naval Base in Mayport back in 94!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds