Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > GG1s in Pennsylvania

Date: 02/16/19 06:53
GG1s in Pennsylvania
Author: pjhliners

Hi, another post from a Brit planning a railroading trip to NYC and surrounding areas at the end of April.

I am keen to see surviving GG1s, and have noted there are two at the Museum in Strasberg PA, so I am planning to ride Amtrak to Lancaster PA to see them.

However I understand there is another within the station precinct at Harrisburg, PA which is only a little further down the line.

Does anyone know if I could easily see and photograph this one if I extended my journey?

Many thanks for any advice

Peter in Manchester, England

Date: 02/16/19 07:30
Re: GG1s in Pennsylvania
Author: pennsy3750

You can see it.  Harrisburg is an Amtrak Police field location; thus, I would make a point of stopping in and letting the stationmaster know what you're up to. 

Hmmm...sounds like the voice of experience, doesn't it? ;)

Date: 02/16/19 07:48
Author: NS4271

Photo taken from platform while waiting to board eastbound train.

Date: 02/16/19 08:53
Author: boejoe

As you approach Lancaster from the east, you will pass Leaman Place which is the interchange (on the left side of the train) between the Strasburg Rail Road and the 'outside' world.  Be sure to arrange for rental car/uber/etc between Lancaster and Strasburg - I'm fairly certain there is no public transportation available.
Other GG-1's that still survive (Baltimore MD, for example) are probably in a disgraceful condition.  A search on Google will most likely indicate where others can be found.

Date: 02/16/19 09:20
Author: colehour

On a trip to Philadelphia back in the '90s, I recall being able to see a GG-1 from the Harrisburg station platform. Is it still there?

Date: 02/16/19 09:26
Author: jp1822

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a trip to Philadelphia back in the '90s, I
> recall being able to see a GG-1 from the
> Harrisburg station platform. Is it still there?

Yup - picured above!

So is the GG1 and its caboose back in its permanent spot at Harrisburg station - since putting in the high level platforms? They had moved it out of the station complex, but is it permanently now back in place? Just curious? 

Date: 02/16/19 10:38
Author: RuleG

Last year, in August, I rode the Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.  During the layover in Harrisburg, I was able to take the following photo from one of the station platforms.

If you ride the train to Harrisburg, I would think you'd be able to see the GG1, at least briefly.  If you wish to linger, it would probably best to check with the station staff, per pennsy3750's advice.

Date: 02/16/19 12:29
Author: ClubCar

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As you approach Lancaster from the east, you will
> pass Leaman Place which is the interchange (on the
> left side of the train) between the Strasburg Rail
> Road and the 'outside' world.  Be sure to arrange
> for rental car/uber/etc between Lancaster and
> Strasburg - I'm fairly certain there is no public
> transportation available.
> Other GG-1's that still survive (Baltimore MD, for
> example) are probably in a disgraceful
> condition.  A search on Google will most likely
> indicate where others can be found.
Like boejoe says, go to Strasburg, Pennsylvania and to the Pennsylvania R.R. Museum where there are at least two GG-1's including the first one "Old Rivets" #4800.
Don't even bother to go see the GG-1 in Baltimore as it is out along the tracks of the B&O R.R. Museum where it has been heavily vandalized and is being allowed to rust away, like so many other pieces of equipment.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/16/19 13:37
Author: chuchubob

File photos of 4876 taken from a B&O Museum train on Oct 13, 2012

Date: 02/16/19 17:40
Author: mp109

Here is the Harrisburg sation's GG1 today with train no. 43 in the station. 

Date: 02/17/19 06:45
Author: pjhliners

Many thanks to all for your helpful replies and advice.

I am certainly planning now to go to Harrisburg as well as Strasberg, and hopefully notch up three GG1s in a day.

I have also noted the need not to go to Baltimore, MD!

Thanks again guys

Peter in Manchester UK

Date: 02/17/19 13:46
Author: CZ10

Should you end up as far west as Chicago, there is a GG1 at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Date: 02/17/19 17:55
Author: RuleG

Another location to see a GG1 along an Amtrak route is the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum.  In the early 1980s, GG1 4913 was painted in the PRR Tuscan Red scheme.  It's current condition is somewhere between the 4876 and the 4859.  The 4913 rests inside a replica roundhouse on the museum grounds.

Date: 02/18/19 14:05
Author: PRR1361

Harrisburg's "G" is back in the station again, temporarily.  It will be moved out once construction begins on the new high level platforms alongside.  The final locaton will likely be on track 8, whenever that move takes place.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds