Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Passenger Trains > Ten Minutes of Railfanning in Boston snow

Date: 02/18/19 09:56
Ten Minutes of Railfanning in Boston snow
Author: erielackawanna

So this California boy was in Boston in a snowstorm and thought, "I'll go railfan." Found a spot south of South Station, parked, got out of the car for what I planned to be an hour. I think I lasted about ten minutes. It was pretty miserable (and I was in work clothes, hence a suit). Still, one thing you got to love about fanning the feeder yard to the NEC and a transit line, there's always something to shoot.  My perch was Traveler Street where you have views into a Red Line yard and what I guess is an electrified part of the Old Colony Line. It's a tight mesh fence there, so the choices are to shoot wide open telephoto or pancake pressed against a gap.
Images one through three are Red Line trains. The older 1600s are Pullman Standard products. The newer 1800s are Bombardiers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/19 17:03 by erielackawanna.

Date: 02/18/19 09:57
Re: Ten Minutes of Railfanning in Boston snow

Images four through six are two soutbound MBTAs sandwiching an Amtrak deadhead shove.

Date: 02/18/19 12:31
Author: asheldrake

thanks for lasting 10 minutes....just looking at your good pictures makes me cold....good spot to shoot if the weather was better.   Arlen

Date: 02/18/19 16:40
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

Thanks for the pics but that's not the NEC.

Date: 02/18/19 16:51
Author: DavidP

FloridaTrainGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the pics but that's not the NEC.

Pretty close though...the east end of the corridor is just beyond the commuter and regional trains in the pictures. 

Dave

Date: 02/18/19 17:07

Is it the Old Colony Line then?

Date: 02/18/19 17:40
Author: DavidP

erielackawanna Wrote:
> Is it the Old Colony Line then?

Yes.  The commuter trains are either Old Colony or Midland line trains.  The Amtrak train is leaving South Bay yard for South Station.  Thanks for posting by the way!

Dave

Date: 02/18/19 18:43
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

erielackawanna Wrote:
> Is it the Old Colony Line then?

Yes, the first one is most likely a Midland train heading for the Fairmont/Franklin Line, the second is an empty Amtrak backing into South Station, and the third is an Old Colony train heading for Braintree and beyond. 

Date: 02/18/19 22:33
Author: coach

In that last photo--what kind of diesel is that???  I've never seen one of those.  Is it a CHARGER?  Or an M-K unit??  

Date: 02/19/19 02:55
Author: JPB

The MBTA diesel in the last photo is an MPI-built HSP46 which puts out a maximum of 4,650 hp using a GE GEVO prime mover. Not only does this engine produce a distinctive GE chugging when accelerating but it also features a fairly melodious horn. Put into service in 2014, this is the newest locomotive type in the MBTA fleet with 40 units delivered. There have been reli issues, especially with the turbochargers which apparently had to be replaced a couple of years ago - hopefully these problems are now fixed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPI_HSP46

Date: 02/19/19 21:56
Author: kpcmcpkva

Send these pics to VRE, that might shame them.  New Haven had a catch phrase: "Go New Haven, Weather or Not!"  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds