Home Open Account Help 148 users online

Passenger Trains > Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station


Date: 03/12/19 08:44
Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: 41bridge

I imagine this happens more than we realize. No one knows when they are checking out. RIP.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/passenger-found-dead-on-amtrak-train-at-union-station/65-589374ca-607c-4280-9785-87a17bc29fcc 



Date: 03/12/19 09:10
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: norm1153

This was the Washington, D.C. Union Station.
 



Date: 03/12/19 12:10
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Another item for the DOA acronym list, Dead On Amtrak.
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DOA



Date: 03/12/19 18:13
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: MEKoch

Since people die every day in this world, natural death on Amtrak should not be totally unusual.

But some instances are strange: A man on #40 in 1976 put a gun to his head after Altoona.  When he did not detrain at Harrisburg, the sleeping car attendant found him.  We were delayed about 90 minutes.  



Date: 03/12/19 18:45
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: steamloco

.I think it’s a peaceful way to go, listening to the horn in the distance and the motion of riding the rails. It’s better than leaving this world in a hospital room. The crew will get over it a just laugh about it, we all gotta go one day.



Date: 03/13/19 08:36
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: MaryMcPherson

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since people die every day in this world, natural
> death on Amtrak should not be totally unusual.

Not usual, but happens more than one would like.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions



Date: 03/13/19 09:02
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Yes, it does happen more often than a lot of people realize.  As our population contiues to become older, medical emergencies where EMS personnel need to be summoned is also more common than a lot of people realize.  

A conductor who used to work the DESERT WIND told me of an incident where a person died on the train.  The passenger was very large and apparently rigor mortis had set in.  The first responders couldn't get the body down the stairway because the stairways on Superliner cars and ex-ATSF Hi-Level equipment make a couple of 90 degree turns.  They had to uncouple the unit from the rest of the train and use the stairway at the end of the ex-ATSF transition-dorm car because it did not have two 90 degree turns.  Another similar situation on the SOUTHWEST CHIEF near Kingman required the removal of a window on the upper level to extract the body.      



Date: 03/13/19 09:55
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: joemvcnj

Not always older people. I was on an Empire Builder eastbound about 10 year ago the day after a 45-year old woman died en route, probably of a heart attack. Her husband and 2 sons were waiting to pick her up at either Havre, or Minot (I forgot which). Glad I missed that.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/19 09:56 by joemvcnj.



Date: 03/13/19 10:47
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: utwazoo

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not always older people. I was on an Empire
> Builder eastbound about 10 year ago the day after
> a 45-year old woman died en route, probably of a
> heart attack. Her husband and 2 sons were waiting
> to pick her up at either Havre, or Minot (I forgot
> which). Glad I missed that.

Eons ago I attended an Airliners International annual convention (think Winterail with people from all over the world).  Our dinner speaker was the youngest captain at Hughes Airwest.  During his speech, he suddenly keeled over and died.  He was 26 or thereabout.  You just never know,  so try and have some fun while you're here.



Date: 03/13/19 18:03
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: PHall

utwazoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not always older people. I was on an Empire
> > Builder eastbound about 10 year ago the day
> after
> > a 45-year old woman died en route, probably of
> a
> > heart attack. Her husband and 2 sons were
> waiting
> > to pick her up at either Havre, or Minot (I
> forgot
> > which). Glad I missed that.
>
> Eons ago I attended an Airliners International
> annual convention (think Winterail with people
> from all over the world).  Our dinner speaker was
> the youngest captain at Hughes Airwest.  During
> his speech, he suddenly keeled over and died.  He
> was 26 or thereabout.  You just never know,  so
> try and have some fun while you're here.

Public speaking can be stressful!



Date: 03/13/19 21:08
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: railstiesballast

Airlines too.  I read how they have protocols for handling the suddenly deceased passengers when far out on trans-ocean flights and landing is not an option.  If they can they are moved to restrooms but somtimes they have to be covered up in their seat and adjoining seats vacated.
Every day is indeed a gift.



Date: 03/14/19 13:55
Re: Passenger found dead on Amtrak train at Union Station
Author: Skyline

New OBS hires are schooled about the possibilities of this happening as part of training/orientation, and how to handle it.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds