Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > latest on the CZ in Nebraska and Iowa

Date: 03/15/19 03:13
latest on the CZ in Nebraska and Iowa
Author: wpjones

As of 5:00 Amtrak 6 of the 12th is sitting in Lincoln due to BNSF out of service at Oreapolis. 5 of the 14 is sitting at Creston same reason. 6 of the 13th is approaching Holdrege NE. and is due at Lincoln 7:30 ish. There will be 2 # 6's at Lincoln Friday morning atleast for awhile. I am told they are considering running to Omaha, crossing the Missouri on the UPRR then taking the BNSF to Pacific junction. At this point it's the only option they have. If this happens has Amtrak ever been on the line from CB to P.Jct? I don't think so.
Steve

Date: 03/15/19 04:01
Re: latest on the CZ in Nebraska and Iowa
Author: davefowlerpB

CZ originally ran across the UP bridge and then down to Pacific Junction and back on the main.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/15/19 04:29
Author: MOP1161

I have reservations from Holdrege NE to Denver Sat morn 16 at 2:35a     Amtrak has informed me my train has been cancelled with no alternative provided

Date: 03/15/19 04:42
Author: twjurgens

Oreapolis is where the Platte River dumps into the Missouri River.  Both rivers are experiencing MAJOR flooding due to snow melt and rain.

Date: 03/15/19 05:25
Author: sums007

Map shows 5 going north to CB as I write this.

Date: 03/15/19 05:28
Author: wpjones

#5 is nearing CB as I type this. UP crew is on duty to deal with these three trains. Second #6 is nearing Lincoln and will be turned on one of the wyes and coupled to the rear of the first #6 and head to OMA with engines on both ends to help with this rare move.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/19 05:41 by wpjones.

Date: 03/15/19 08:00
Author: bmarti7

I heard the first number 6 was full out of Denver due to DIA being closed on Wednesday. There will be "war stories' with this one (remebering the movie "Plane, Trains and auromobiles)

BB

Date: 03/15/19 08:53
Author: jp1822

Two #6's in Lincoln and #5 trying to make an approach to Lincoln. Hopefully the two #6' will get to Chicago by midnight tonight or early tomorrow, Saturday, morning.

In the scheme of things, I am a little surprised that they released westbound #5 from Chicago yesterday, Thursday. Thought Amtrak would have cancelled it considering how bad the Midwest got hit with this winter storm and considering how jumpy Amtrak management has been with cancelling trains due to the weather. I would imagine that #5 of Friday, 3/15, is cancelled out of Chicago. Chicago is basically out of CZ trainsets. 

Have no doubt the reporters will be greeting passengers at various station stops between Lincoln and Chicago. The one #6 will be arriving at least three days late. 

Safe travels!

Date: 03/15/19 09:50
Author: brc600

The Zephyr ran via UP bridge Omaha to Council Bluffs and BN CB-PjCt 1970's to 1983-ish, as well as detours in 1985 and the 1990's and 2000's. The PJct-Cob line was mothballed 1985-1995-ish. Tim Vana brc600

davefowlerpB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ originally ran across the UP bridge and then
> down to Pacific Junction and back on the main.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 03/15/19 09:51
Author: kennbritt

In the summer of 1980 I was fireman on 6 out of Lincoln.  We had rules exam cards for the UP Bridge Subdivision that covered moves with coal loads to the Golden Spike Monument and for Amtrak.  There was a hand throw switch in CB to get off the UP and back to BN track.  As fireman, I was responsible for lining the switch.  The train crew at the rear closed it.  At that time Grow tower was still in place for the movements through the interlocking.  That lasted until the BN put Amtrak on the west side of the Missouri.

Kennard Britton
Bedford,  TX

Date: 03/15/19 11:39
Author: brc600

Ken;

BN JCT is the name for that switch. Even now, it s still hand throw.

Grow Tower lasted until 1983, when the CTC was deactivated. 

My brothers and I rode, saw and photographed #5 and #6 through Co Bluffs on the Iowa side. They even detoured over the Milw Rd in the 1970's several times, as well as C&NW in the 1981-current frame, even CC&P in 1998 and Iowa Interstate.  

Ever work with Don Novak?

TIM VANA

kennbritt Wrote:
> In the summer of 1980 I was fireman on 6 out of
> Lincoln.  We had rules exam cards for the UP
> Bridge Subdivision that covered moves with coal
> loads to the Golden Spike Monument and for Amtrak.
>  There was a hand throw switch in CB to get off
> the UP and back to BN track.  As fireman, I was
> responsible for lining the switch.  The train
> crew at the rear closed it.  At that time Grow
> tower was still in place for the movements through
> the interlocking.  That lasted until the BN put
> Amtrak on the west side of the Missouri.
>
> Kennard Britton
> Bedford,  TX
>
>
>
>
>  

Date: 03/15/19 12:22
Author: NiceHandTick

I worked with Don Nowak out of Kansas City Crewbase where he worked in 1987 for Amtrak.

Date: 03/15/19 12:45
Author: 79mph

6 on the detour, either 8 hours down or 32 hours down, depending on what half you are on. Part of the equipment does seem to have been left at OMA
At least one locomotive still tracking there at OMA (presumably somebody forgot to turn off the transponder).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/19 12:45 by 79mph.

Date: 03/15/19 14:13
Author: kennbritt

Tim,

Don Novak and I went to Benson High School and ran on the cross country and track teams together.  I graduated in ‘68, Don in ‘69.  I was on trains with him several times as a trainee.  Early in my training he caught a night switch engine I was assigned to at Hobson Yard.  I was running the engine.  Having taken radio instructions to stop and back the cut we went on the ground.  We had split a switch.  Somehow the story got all the way to my former track gang foremen in western Nebraska.  Funny how the railroad grapevine works.  Thanks for your reply.

Ken

Date: 03/16/19 06:34
Author: chakk

jp1822 Wrote:

>
> In the scheme of things, I am a little surprised
> that they released westbound #5 from Chicago
> yesterday, Thursday. Thought Amtrak would have
> cancelled it considering how bad the Midwest got
> hit with this winter storm and considering how
> jumpy Amtrak management has been with cancelling
> trains due to the weather. I would imagine that #5
> of Friday, 3/15, is cancelled out of Chicago.
> Chicago is basically out of CZ trainsets. 
>

5(14) is completely sold out with the TrainJam participants.  Amtrak cancellation would have been very problemmatic.
> Have no doubt the reporters will be greeting
> passengers at various station stops between
> Lincoln and Chicago. The one #6 will be arriving
> at least three days late. 
>
> Safe travels!

Date: 03/16/19 15:15
Author: jp1822

These two Amtrak #6's arrived Chicago early Saturday morning around 3:00 am or so.

Surprised that the they didn't receive any national news coverage.......However, considering everything, these two trains were the only thing moving in/out of Denver at one point. So hopefully Amtrak and its staff can say "job well done." It sounds like this "trip" from Denver through Nebraska could have been much worse than just a late train. Everyone arrived safely into Chicago. No reports about the train running out of food or being stranded. I think Amtrak took precautionary measures to make sure this didn't happen - waiting it out in Dever, double checking what routes to take so as to avoid the floods in Nebraska............

Hopefully the passengers didn't take the frustration of being late or delayed on the Amtrak equipment. Amtrak can't afford to side-line any Superliners or bad-order any cars!                    

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds