Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Passenger Trains > NY MTA raises subway, bridge, bus etc fares

Date: 04/18/19 13:15
NY MTA raises subway, bridge, bus etc fares
Author: Lackawanna484

The semi-sacred base subway and bus fare will remain at $2.75, but weekly and monthly passes will increase in price. Discounts for $20 and larger adds will also be eliminated. Up until several years ago, you would get two extra rides for a $20 purchase. Then it was one ride, as they added a dollar cost for getting a new card.

A monthly unlimited pass will now cost $127, up $6. Fares for EZ Pass users on tunnels and bridges will go up about 36 cents.  NY eliminated human toll takers several years ago, so you need EZ Pass.  If the MTA has to chase you down and bill you with pay-by-plate, it will cost you $19, versus $12.24 with EZ Pass.  If you are in a rental car, it's $19 plus a $10 fee for processing in at least one rental company.  I now bring my own EZ pass rather than pay their daily fees.

Congestion pricing may create another stream of revenue, although it will be in court or years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/nyregion/mta-fares-hike.html

Date: 04/18/19 14:10
Re: NY MTA raises subway, bridge, bus etc fares
Author: joemvcnj

The 5% bonus on pay per ride Metrocard when adding $5.50 or more goes away on Sunday. 
The alternative was to raise the base fare to $3.00 and raise the bonus to 11%. 

With EZ Pass, only those 4 tags and accounts issued by the Staten Island Service Center (MTA B&T, NYS Thruway, NYS Bridge Authority, PANYNJ) get the EZ Pass rate. Any other EZ Pass, be it from NJ, PennDOT, Illinois, etc) pays the CASH rate. That has been the case since 2009. 

My aunt came over a year or so ago with a rental car in NJ. It had an EZ pass, but I could not figure out how to remove it so as to use your own. She drove to Long Island, and told her she would get ripped off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/19 14:16 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/18/19 14:43
Author: SpeederDriver

How many remember when it was a nickel?

Date: 04/18/19 14:50

That was 1948. Not many people here remember the subway fare of then. 

Date: 04/18/19 14:54
Author: Lackawanna484

My E-Z Pass is issued by the Port Authority, so it saves me the rental car fees.

Worth it, pays its cost with one use each year.

Congestion pricing may be a different matter.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/19 15:02

The PANYNJ tag costs $1 a month. The other 3 agences have no fee. They are prohibited by NYS law. 

Date: 04/19/19 21:07
Author: coach

Only $127 for a monthly pass, in NYC, for the subway??!!!  WHAT A BARGAIN.  That's only $32 / week for unlimited rides.

Seriously, they're giving it away back there...

Date: 04/20/19 05:16

NYCT hase a pretty good fare box recovery, around 50%. The NYCT bus system is what drags it down. The subway is very efficient.

Date: 04/20/19 19:03
Author: Abqfoamer

Joe...I remember nickel Transit Authority fares... also the dark,  dirty stations with few route signs, loud, open window/no a-c cars with no stop announcements.
No doubt, things have improved, maybe worth the higher fares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/19 15:53 by Abqfoamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds