Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago question

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/19/19 18:54
Chicago question
Author: CPRR

Have to go to Chicago in June. Staying in Crystal Lake with relatives. I thought of the train on the UP NW line in and out, but we are there during the week. Total train cost for 4 of us was higher than we wanted, $220 ($18 x4x3 days). Plus the CTA fares. 

So, is there a better option I should be thinking. How much time to battle traffic into Chicago, park the car, do the tourist stuff, then drive back to Crystal Lake, three times? How bad is Chicago traffic? Maybe drive in to a closer train stop, the train in the Chicago area?

Thanks a lot. Looking forward the see Chicago.

Date: 04/19/19 19:31
Re: Chicago question
Author: inCHI

Others would know better but driving closer in might make sense. Parking is the real thing I'd want to avoid if I was doing downtown or tourist things. CTA is just a flat fare of $2.25 (except if you buy your ticket at O'Hare) so if you park anywhere next to CTA getting into the city isn't much. From Crystal Lake maybe you could park and ride at Rosement and catch the Blue Line in. Once you get to the O'Hare area, driving in is often very delayed; 90/94 from O'Hare to the Loop has a traffic jam nearly garuanteed during rush hour and frequently during all daylight hours, especially during summer. Sometimes that last 10-15 miles takes 45 mins to an hour to drive. Another thing would be if you are going anywhere in the loop, it isn't a great place for someone unfamiliar to drive, with all of the pedestrians, bikers, transit, rideshare drivers, clueless drivers in general... so you could save stress by avoiding that.

In summary how you get there might really depend on what your destination is for the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 19:32 by inCHI.

Date: 04/19/19 19:58
Author: agent1522

I grew up in the Western suburbs of Chicago. Wheaton to be exact.  Even though I don't live there now, every time I go back I avoid renting a car when ever I can. Parking in Chicago proper is outrageous at any time of day. Have you factored in the tolls you will have to pay?  There is at least one toll booth on the Northwest Tollway once you get west of the I294 exit. Traffic on the Kennedy is heavy at any time of the day and even worse at rush hour. A typical driving trip between Crystal Lake and Chicago usually takes about an hour and a half, double during rush hour. Also, summertime is peak construction time.  Delays can double that.  You didn't say if you were renting a car or not, so this is based on having a rental care for your time there. By the time you pay for the rental car, gas and 3 days of parking you will easily pay more than the $220 for the train fares.  Besides during the week Metra runs hourly service during off peak times making it very convenient and if you are travelling during rush hour, trains run more frequently.  The Ogilivie Transportation Center is 4 blocks from the Loop, an easy walk in the summertime.   You'd have to check with Metra, but I think there are locales where they have partnered with ride sharing services for first and last mile rides.  I'm not sure if Crystal Lake is one of them. Hope this helps.
Bob 

Date: 04/19/19 20:59

Yes I do have a car. Have to go to upper WI for a wedding the weekend before Chicago. Thanks for the responses. Anything else anyone could think of (good medium priced food, inside tips on the tourist stuff, etc)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/19/19 21:21
Author: RuleG

Without knowing what interests you and your relatives, I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend taking a tour offered by the Chicago Architecture Center.  The CAC tours are a great way to learn Chicago's architecture and history.  I've been on three tours and can vouch for their quality.  A great variety of tours are offered including using walking, bus and the L.  The most popular are the river tours.  If you and your relatives are interested in that tour, be sure to book well in advance because they sell out.  Here's a link with more information on the tours:

https://www.architecture.org/tours

With respect to restaurants, I'm partial to Miller's Pub on South Wabash, but I'm sure others will offer additional suggestions. 

Date: 04/19/19 22:22
Author: SilverView

MY BEST ADVICE: DON'T DRIVE INTO THE CITY-LOOP!!! I live in the far western suburbs and rarely drive in especially because of the cost for parking and the traffic. Both people ahead of my response have explained very well the negatives of driving in.  Metra service from Crystal Lake to the Loop is very convenient. You did not share if you have anyone in your group that is under 12. Metra has free travel for kids traveling with parents.
While in the Loop, there are free trolley buses that cover the area. Check out that form of getting around. If you want to have a great tour overview, consider GRAYLINE tours. I have been associated with the travel industry and find they do a great job of informing you and helping you see major points of interest. I am NOT an employee nor do I get anything for suggesting them. I have used them in many places, even in western Canada. 

Finally, when and if you visit NAVY PIER, there is a wonderful  speed-boat ride and tour that does will to narriate the Chicago lake area. If you are interested in superbly nariated history of Chicago, www.architecture.org/tour  has a boat trip from the Navy Pier area. They have produced many documentaries for PBS about Chicago history.

RuleG just covered that info. I completely agree Miller's Pub next to the Palmer House or Berghoff's [German] Restaurant near State and Adams are my 2 favorites for lunch or dinner.

Enjoy a very fine city.
Silver View Mike

Date: 04/19/19 22:49

Thank you all for the responses. My kids are 23 and 21, so np on anything to see. Berghoff was on the list along with The Bean and Art Museum. Still looking.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/19 01:54
Author: mp51w

If you're not afraid of getting an early start(5:45-6:00am), you should sail right in.
Yes, the traffic is bad on the Kennedy, but there are some days where, out of the blue, you maintain speed.
Certainly, for the Museum of Science & Industry it might be adventagous just to drive.
I'm not sure on parking rates at Grant park, but from there you can do Millenium Park and the whole museum campus.
If you are married to your car, there is nothing like doing Lake Shore Drive!  Don't be afraid to drive at least one of the days.

Date: 04/20/19 04:40
Author: robj

I live in Marengo which is west of Crystal Lake.  If going downtown - (seee above fr museums).

I take I-90 toll road to CTA,  so there are tolls, not bad with pass but little more if you dont.  From Crystal Lake you will be going down 31.  You can take 14 to Cumberland, a little slower for sure.

I park at Cumberland CTA which has a parking garage right next to CTA.  Take the North Cumberland exit and garage is directly off exit. It is never full and I think it is $8.00 now, pay with CC.

When you leave you make a left on Cumberland and the take tollroad west to Rockford.   I-90 is now 4 lanes and a good ride usuall not backing up until just before you get to Cumberland.
Driving east of Cumberland can get very slow.  Driving anywhere downtown can be trying.

If you drive downtown I found parking rate lower after 4:00 PM and there are early bird rates.  However, you have to be carefull no to get screwed.

CTA has a day pass so you can come and go or you can buy the Ventra pass and pay per ride, there is still a transfer time.

If you are going to museums like Science and Industry or even field Museum it might be more cost and time effective to drive.  and park at Museum Campus.
CTA is not free either x 4 and their is some manuevering taking bus to museum campuses.  Art Museum is easy on Michigan Avenue.

Bob Jordan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/19 04:45 by robj.

Date: 04/20/19 04:48
Author: robj

Added, Ill Railway Museum is a little west at Union, IL  parking is free!!!! 

Milwaukee is not that far, much friendlier and beleive or not has some very worthy attractions.

Bob

Date: 04/20/19 06:58
Author: CP8888

METRA and CTA sell a ten dollar weekend all you can ride pass. The paper Ventra card is three dollars.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/20/19 07:02
Author: kevink

Good advice so far especially re: driving to Cumberland and taking the CTA.
Tolls each way from Crystal Lake to O'Hare are either $2.60 one way from Rt. 31 or $3.00 from Randall Road (depends on which side of Crystal Lake you will be on). Most car rental places will rent you an I-Pass transponder for a daily flat rate. You'll have to decide if it's worth that. You will need exact change for Rt. 31 as it is unattended. Or, you can pay on-line within 7 days at https://www.illinoistollway.com/ and avoid the toll booths.

Be wary of early bird parking rates as they often require you leave by a certain time. Downtown parking garage rates are in the area of $50/day.

You can get some savings on the Metra full single ticket fare by purchasing 2 ten-ride tickets at the station in Crystal Lake. Check the parking situation, daily vs. monthly, and payment method.

One of the better values in Chicago are the water taxis: https://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

As for food, there are many excellent choices. Don't be afraid  to head west of the Loop into the Fulton Market District. There are many fine places along West Randolph Street.

And yes, try to get to the Illinois Railway Museum.

Date: 04/20/19 07:45
Author: irhoghead

Regarding food, don't forget pizza. Giordano's is renowned for their stuffed. You won't be disappointed. And, as for me, I don't care what the train costs. It is worth it compared to driving into downtown.

Date: 04/20/19 07:53
Author: HotWater

irhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding food, don't forget pizza. Giordano's is
> renowned for their stuffed.

Lou Malnati's is much better than any other deep-dish pizza in the Chicago area. That's not just my opinion either, as Malnati's seems to win all the awards.

You won't be
> disappointed. And, as for me, I don't care what
> the train costs. It is worth it compared to
> driving into downtown.

Date: 04/20/19 09:15
Author: inCHI

Two more things I can think of: if you do end up parking in the city, Spothero (app) can find some cheaper spits.

For food and drink... a lot of the best stuff is in the neighborhoods, and there is so much of it. You can find cuisine from every country in the world practically. Want Indian? Go to Devon Ave., and there are 50 Indian & Pakistani restaurants. Within a less than one mile radius from my place, there are endless taquerias, and food from Peru, Bolivia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and even Eritrea. There are, dare I say, almost too many breweries to choose from. If your kids are into that kind of thing several are nationally rated. Shoot, there is even a meadery in the south side you can ride the Metra - RI to.

Date: 04/20/19 09:59

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two more things I can think of: if you do end up
> parking in the city, Spothero (app) can find some
> cheaper spits.
>
> For food and drink... a lot of the best stuff is
> in the neighborhoods, and there is so much of it.
> You can find cuisine from every country in the
> world practically. Want Indian? Go to Devon Ave.,
> and there are 50 Indian & Pakistani restaurants.
> Within a less than one mile radius from my place,
> there are endless taquerias, and food from Peru,
> Bolivia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and even Eritrea.
> There are, dare I say, almost too many breweries
> to choose from. If your kids are into that kind of
> thing several are nationally rated. Shoot, there
> is even a meadery in the south side you can ride
> the Metra - RI to.

Thank you , we eat anything and everything. I have scooped out breweries and some cider places.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/19 10:41
Author: jcaestecker

Don't forget to find a place for Chicago-style hot dogs.  Vienna Beef wiener, poppyseed bun, mustard, neon green relish, sport peppers, pickle spear, tomato (optional) and a dash of celery salt.  Unbelievably great!  Can't believe no one else mentioned this. 

Don't ask for ketchup on it or you will get some serious grief from employees and other guests.  :-)

-John

Date: 04/20/19 11:03
Author: RuleG

Two more food suggestions:

Al's Italian Beef with several locations in Chicago. 

If you decide to use Metra, you should check out the Metra Market at the Ogilivie Transportation Center below the track level.  Metra Market (also known as the Chicago French Market) offers a large variety of foods and lower cost options for lunch.  It is open Monday through Saturday.

https://frenchmarketchicago.com/about.

A couple of other places to consider visiting are:

The Chicago Historical Socity museum (with the C & NW Pioneer locomotive and L car #1) in Chicago's North Side

Pullman National Monument (now part of the National Parks system) located towards the south end of the city. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/19 17:34 by RuleG.

Date: 04/20/19 11:13
Author: Lackawanna484

The rental car I-Pass transponders are a few dollars a day for the whole rental period PLUS the cost of tolls.

This is a great thread.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/20/19 12:19
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0731 seconds