Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Passenger Trains > Motels near BART stations?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/11/19 08:51
Motels near BART stations?
Author: march_hare

Looks like my son and I may be in the San Francisco area for a week or so in June. We will have a car, but would prefer a motel near a BART station if possible. Anybody have recommendations?

Date: 05/11/19 10:31
Re: Motels near BART stations?
Author: PHall

Pretty broad question, you wanna narrow it down a bit? Which part of the Bay Area are we talking about?
The peninsula, the east bay, the north bay. BART covers a pretty big area.

Date: 05/11/19 11:27
Author: goduckies

If you are looking to stay in SF, but looking for cheap ish, the mission area, 16th to 24th has a few cheap hotel, hostels same for union square for hostels and expensive hotels, that's Powell bart. Berkeley also has motels near bart.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/11/19 12:49
Author: kbmiflyer

There is a Hyatt House in Emeryville at the BART & Amtrak station.  Also a Four Points and a Hyatt Place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/19 18:23 by kbmiflyer.

Date: 05/11/19 14:07
Author: DivergingClear

If you want to stay near tourist-central and the cable cars / F Line street cars, the Market and Powell area has a bunch of hotels (BART is under Market Street), ranging from the very good to the very basic-yet-clean to the very seedy.  Just use your internet searching powers to find what matches your needs there... and make sure to read reviews, as the relative safety of the area varies within just a few blocks here.

Date: 05/11/19 14:22
Author: RuleG

During a December 2018 visit to The City, we stayed at the Parc 55 which is near the Powell Street BART Station.  It was a decent place.

If a ride on the cable car is in your plans, get to the stop early in the day, otherwise you could be waiting for 1/2 hour to board a cable car.

Date: 05/11/19 15:10
Author: atsf121

Pleasant Hill station has a few hotels within walking distance if your thinking far East Bay. Oakland 12 th St station also has hotels nearby, I’ve stayed there a few times on business so I could use BART to get to either of the offices I was visiting, and get to/from the Oakland airport.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/19 17:36 by atsf121.

Date: 05/11/19 15:45
Author: Railrev

I have found the Hyatt Place and other hotels around there good for both Amtrak and BART.  Walking distance from Amtrak and the Emeryville Go Round is a free shuttle to BART and all around Emeryville with stops near all the hotels. We stayed there when our grandson was a student at Cal and when we took other grandkids to San Francisco.

Date: 05/11/19 17:02
Author: AmHog

There is an Embassy Suites in Walnut Creek near the Bart Station. I have stayed there. Very nice. 

Date: 05/11/19 18:41
Author: SN711

I’ll recommend the Embassy Suites as well across from the Pleasant Hill BART Station. It has a Walnut Creek Address.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/19 19:51
Author: wa4umr

kbmiflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a Hyatt House in Emeryville at the BART &
> Amtrak station.  Also a Four Points and a Hyatt
> Place

If you stay at either of those, there is a free shuttle that runs to the McAuther BART station.  It runs about every half hour until about 7-8PM.  Just look for the Emery-go-round.

John

Date: 05/11/19 21:15
Author: stash

The Embassy Suites suggestion is a good one. MacArthur station is a crime hot spot (although the trains themselves can be too). BART tells customers to hide their phones now. Police patrols on the railroad are non existent.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/12/19 10:15
Author: TCnR

The local TV news has been reporting dropping ridership numbers for BART and local Transit. They didn't really say it was due to increased crime or increased delays due to recent equipment problems but they've had seperate articles presenting that.

Date: 05/12/19 13:20

News accounts say the increasing crime is moving former passengers to other forms of transportation. Especially off peak and weekends.

Bums sleeping on trains, filthy cars complete with urine and feces, drug use and needles, plus dangerous stations with few police patrols. One BART director thinks bums living on trains is entirely appropriate.

TCnR Wrote:
> The local TV news has been reporting dropping
> ridership numbers for BART and local Transit. They
> didn't really say it was due to increased crime or
> increased delays due to recent equipment problems
> but they've had seperate articles presenting that.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/12/19 13:48
Author: coach

MARRIOTT downtown Oakland, right outside the BART 12th Street station.  Can walk to AMTRAK, too, or cab or bus it.

Date: 05/12/19 14:05
Author: IC_2024

stash Wrote:
> News accounts say the increasing crime is moving
> former passengers to other forms of
> transportation. Especially off peak and weekends.
>
> Bums sleeping on trains, filthy cars complete with
> urine and feces, drug use and needles, plus
> dangerous stations with few police patrols. One
> BART director thinks bums living on trains is
> entirely appropriate.

Stash: would be nice to send some of these folks over to that BART Director’s house so they could crash in their house for awhile and see how much that Director likes that !!

I grew up riding the CTA and L in Chicago and there was always a strong police presence— and still is on it. When I first visited CA in the 80’s, I was amazed at how clean the BART was — and carpeted cars, too!! Not anymore —it’s filthy! They removed the carpet and cloth seats acct the aforementioned bio-hazards, and allow anything and everything to go on aboard their “service”—it’s an embarrassment at best, and a very dangerous conveyance at worst.
Ride it at your own peril.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 14:08 by IC_2024.

Date: 05/12/19 19:19
Author: RuleG

At the end of last year, we rode BART on Christmas Day from the Airport to the Powell Street Station.  On the following day we rode from the Powell Street Station to Berkeley.  Didn't have any problems with anything or anybody on those trips.  It was a quick and relatively inexpensive way to get around.  I have no qalms about using BART for any future visits.

Date: 05/12/19 21:21

Bottom line: revenue is down with lower ridership. Two reasons from reporters asking questions.

1. Crime, filthy trains and stations.

2. Lots of people jumping fare gates. $25 million annual cost to the railroad I seem to recall. Honest fare paying riders are furious.

BART is rolling down hill fast.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 21:23 by stash.

Date: 05/12/19 21:43
Author: casco17

coach Wrote:
> MARRIOTT downtown Oakland, right outside the BART
> 12th Street station.  Can walk to AMTRAK, too, 
I've stayed there a couple of times; as noted it is very close to BART and it also costs less than San Francisco.
I walked from the hotel to the Amtrak Oakland Jack London station; the area is "so-so" [especially near the freeway undrepass} but I never had any issues.
As noted by others there is a large homeless population up that way so be prepared for it.  More often than not I saw the homeless people sleeping and not actively panhandling; others sat quietly with cardboard signs.
I never had any specific issues while riding, but on one occasion a station was skipped (due to police activity).  They annnounced it over the P.A.; the station was not my stop so no big deal, but it would have been a real hassle had I intended to get off there.  The stations near downtown San Francisco are not too far apart; others have considerable distance between them.

Date: 05/12/19 21:48
Author: zfan

Pleasanton/Dublin is a good place to stay and out of the big city congestion.  Lots of hotels near BART station.  Very cool suburb.  I'm partial I guess because I lived there for many years. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds