Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > "Amtrak and the U.S. freight railroads......."

Date: 05/11/19 11:50
"Amtrak and the U.S. freight railroads......."
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/amtrak-and-the-us-freight-railroads-whats-the-essential-business-model-difference <phorum break>  
"Amtrak and the U.S. freight railroads – what’s the essential business model difference?

The physical similarity between Amtrak and freight railroads in the United States is that all operate with steel flanged wheels running along the top of a steel rail. That is the basic delivery system they all use. 
Practically everything else about Amtrak and the freight railroads is different....."

Date: 05/12/19 06:29
Re: "Amtrak and the U.S. freight railroads......."
Author: Flyer92122

I skimmed the article noticed a few errors off the bat, he kept referring to Amtrak being 43 instead of 47. Amtrak and I are the same age so that random fact I know. Besides that it’s like comparing FedEx to United. Or a 180 mile essential air service flight to a DCA to LGA shuttle flight two entirely different animals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 06:53 by Flyer92122.

Date: 05/12/19 09:02
Re: "Amtrak and the U.S. freight railroads......."
Author: TAW

Lurch_in_ABQ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Practically everything else about Amtrak and the
> freight railroads is different....."
>

Freight railroads exist to make money. That they provide some sort of service in the process is ancillary.

Amtrak exists to provide a service (theoretically). That it makes money doing it is ancillary (theoretically). The major problem with Amtrak is that there are too many theoreticallys involved (precisely - two too many).

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0255 seconds