Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Passenger Trains > Two More Bag-Dorms


Date: 05/14/19 13:36
Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: PCCRNSEngr

This morning two more Bag-Dorms were shipped out from CAF. 68003-68004
Running as NS 071 Amtrak P42 95 was the leader with cafe 43387 and P42 87 trailing at Wellsburg, NY








Date: 05/14/19 14:37
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: SD80MACfan

Are the Viewliners exclusively for Amtrak, or are they available for any railroad company to purchase them?



Date: 05/14/19 15:54
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: KansasCityChief

Bag dorms are going to be use on some western trains to free up sleeper space in trns sleepers

Posted from iPhone



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 18:54 by KansasCityChief.



Date: 05/14/19 16:00
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: Flyer92122

LOL. That’s the million dollar question at this point. 

All joking aside I doubt they’re proprietary to Amtrak. 


SD80MACfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the Viewliners exclusively for Amtrak, or are
> they available for any railroad company to
> purchase them?



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 16:10 by Flyer92122.



Date: 05/14/19 16:30
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: gbmott

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it now appears that the decision made several years ago to cancel a large number of dorms and replace them with baggage cars was questionable to say the least.  With the demise of mail and most express business I wonder how many trains today really require a full baggage car.  Many trains, I suspect, could get by just with the dorm, thus increasing revenue space without upping the car count.

Gordon



Date: 05/14/19 16:58
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: P

This car will be a great add to the Cardinal! Remove the full baggage and add this. Voila, instant revenue with the additional sleeper space.

Posted from Android



Date: 05/14/19 17:31
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: mt-king

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hindsight is always 20/20, but it now appears that
> the decision made several years ago to cancel a
> large number of dorms and replace them with
> baggage cars was questionable to say the least.
>  With the demise of mail and most express
> business I wonder how many trains today really
> require a full baggage car.  Many trains, I
> suspect, could get by just with the dorm, thus
> increasing revenue space without upping the car
> count.
>
> Gordon
Can 15 possibly underutilized full bagage cars be rebuilt to more useful baggage dorms?



Date: 05/14/19 19:39
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: PHall

mt-king Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gbmott Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hindsight is always 20/20, but it now appears
> that
> > the decision made several years ago to cancel a
> > large number of dorms and replace them with
> > baggage cars was questionable to say the least.
> >  With the demise of mail and most express
> > business I wonder how many trains today really
> > require a full baggage car.  Many trains, I
> > suspect, could get by just with the dorm, thus
> > increasing revenue space without upping the car
> > count.
> >
> > Gordon
> Can 15 possibly underutilized full bagage cars be
> rebuilt to more useful baggage dorms?

Sure, just takes money.



Date: 05/14/19 20:10
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: SP4360

Left with the wrong paint job, missing the VIA logo.



Date: 05/14/19 20:30
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: jp1822

Anyone know what the interior configuration is?

- I see four “pairs” of high/low windows on one side of the Viewliner bag/dorm
- I see five “pairs” of high/low windows on another side fo the Viewliner bag/dorm, with then an additional “high window. 

Stupidest thing Amtrak did was do a re-allocation of the Viewliner bag/dorms. Many said that from when the order was initially announced, even before the re-allocation!!!

They need MORE of the Viewliner bagg/dorm cars, not less. Send 30 Viewliner baggage cars back and convert them to Viewliner bag/dorms. That’s more like it!

Most trains do NOT need a full Viewliner baggage car. Total waste of space. Most economical car Amtrak could put in revenue service - the Superliner Trans/Dorm sleeper. The most berths per car could be made out of the Superliner Trans/Dorm sleeper if fully utilized. But with only 10 Viewliner Bagg/Dorm cars coming, and most Western Long hauls requiring 5 to 6 trainsets, the number of Viewliner Bagg/Dorm quickly diminishes. 

Amtrak had talked about putting the new Viewliner II sleepers out on Western Long Hauls and having them substitute for crew cars, thus freeing up the Superliner Trans Dorm Sleeper for revenue space. 

I don’t think anyone knows what will really happen, especially Amtrak. They can’t even get the Viewliner II Diners out of Hialeah....

Glad these cars are at least “out” though!



Date: 05/15/19 00:30
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: pdt

Isnt this the RR that's short of good working engines, and doesnt want to run special moves? ....  Ya think theyd wait to pick up more than 2 cars at a time.



Date: 05/15/19 00:41
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: up421

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know what the interior configuration is?
>
> - I see four “pairs” of high/low windows on
> one side of the Viewliner bag/dorm
> - I see five “pairs” of high/low windows on
> another side fo the Viewliner bag/dorm, with then
> an additional “high window. 

The single high window is for the crew shower room.

Bob



Date: 05/15/19 11:30
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: jp1822

up421 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jp1822 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone know what the interior configuration is?
> >
> > - I see four “pairs” of high/low windows
> on
> > one side of the Viewliner bag/dorm
> > - I see five “pairs” of high/low windows on
> > another side fo the Viewliner bag/dorm, with
> then
> > an additional “high window. 
>
> The single high window is for the crew shower
> room.
>
> Bob

So then bathroom across from shower and one more down where vestibule would be?



Date: 05/15/19 17:27
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: joemvcnj

Saw them on the rear of 97 on Wednesday afternoon through New Brunswick.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 17:27 by joemvcnj.



Date: 05/15/19 18:21
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: Lackawanna484

If used on a SuperLiner train, will these cars require some kind of transition?



Date: 05/15/19 18:26
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: up421

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> up421 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > jp1822 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Anyone know what the interior configuration
> is?
> > >
> > > - I see four “pairs” of high/low windows
> > on
> > > one side of the Viewliner bag/dorm
> > > - I see five “pairs” of high/low windows
> on
> > > another side fo the Viewliner bag/dorm, with
> > then
> > > an additional “high window. 
> >
> > The single high window is for the crew shower
> > room.
> >
> > Bob
>
> So then bathroom across from shower and one more
> down where vestibule would be?

There was some discussion of the configuration of the Viewliner baggage dorms at least a couple of years ago.  I recall that the high window was supposedly for the crew shower.  I have no first hand info on the interior arrangement of the cars, simply relaying what I remember from that long ago discussion on TO.

Bob



Date: 05/15/19 22:02
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: Amtrak784

Ok KATO USA, you can produce these Viewliners in N Scale now please...waiting!  Thank you!



Date: 05/16/19 14:38
Re: Two More Bag-Dorms
Author: chakk

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If used on a SuperLiner train, will these cars
> require some kind of transition?

The existing superliner dorm cars would likely serve as the transition, with this car simply replacing the single level baggage cars used on many LD trains.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0712 seconds