Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Passenger Trains > Zephyr Grill - Ogden Utah

Date: 05/16/19 04:01
Zephyr Grill - Ogden Utah
Author: robj

Located at the entrance of the Front Runner commuter station in Ogden, Utah, closed at this time, a 6AM-6PM operation I think.  We had eaten lunch there, three of thought pretty good.
Major parking for the Ogden station event was here.  .

I know some live by the online reviews and won't go without.  I rarely look but looked at theirs after the fact. 
"Not Gormet" really? a railcar diner in a commuter parking lot.  "Comfort Food" what does that mean?  Fast not Fast, Friendly not Friendly.

Anyway, thought a good evening photo,

Bob Jordan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/19 04:02 by robj.

Date: 05/16/19 07:41
Re: Zephyr Grill - Ogden Utah
Author: Mudrock

I ate there the morning of the Nose to Nose morning and had a good breakfast with two hugh pancakes and crispy bacon. Serice was slow but I had time to kill on a cold windy morning.

Chris

Date: 05/16/19 08:02
Author: BuddPullman

Thanks for the night photo.

Yes, I was curios about the heritage of this car.  You could see some former coach or hallway size windows  on the entrance side of the car.  The area of a typical UP wire and cable duct on the roof does not look consistent with a UP built car.  I was speculating that this might be a former Milwaukee Road (or SP) coach or baggage dorm, but I am still clueless.

Date: 05/16/19 09:14

Thanks for the detail add-on, I did some quick google hoping to see something on the background but came up empty.

Bob

Date: 05/16/19 09:16

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ate there the morning of the Nose to Nose
> morning and had a good breakfast with two hugh
> pancakes and crispy bacon. Serice was slow but I
> had time to kill on a cold windy morning.
>
> Chris

It was a 2 person operation with a small grill area so easily overwhelmed.  We got ours fairly quick, was convenient and like you not in a hurry.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/19 09:17 by robj.

Date: 05/16/19 09:24
Author: utwazoo

A friend defines comfort food as having the three principal American food groups:  sugar, fat and salt.

Date: 05/16/19 10:38
Author: Topfuel

BuddPullman Wrote:
> Thanks for the night photo.
>
> Yes, I was curious about the heritage of this
> car.  You could see some former coach or hallway
> size windows  on the entrance side of the car. 
> The area of a typical UP wire and cable duct on
> the roof does not look consistent with a UP built
> car.  I was speculating that this might be a
> former Milwaukee Road (or SP) coach or baggage
> dorm, but I am still clueless.

This car is a real odd-ball by today's standards but I believe it is one of the ex-UP 1942-built Pullman-Standard coaches in the 5331-5345 and 5351-5365 class.  Of interest is that due to the war, these cars were built of steel, not aluminum as UP preferred.  Most likely this is car 5335, 5341, 5340, or 5365.

Date: 05/16/19 12:38
Author: steamfan49

Mudrock Wrote:
> I ate there the morning of the Nose to Nose
> morning and had a good breakfast with two hugh
> pancakes and crispy bacon. Serice was slow but I
> had time to kill on a cold windy morning.
>
> Chris

As did CSXsteamer and I.  We had bacon, eggs, hashrowns and toast, which was tasty and hit the spot.  Service was slow, but that just meant we had more time to enjoy the atmosphere of the old car.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 05/16/19 20:26
Author: MojaveBill

Well! Who would want to eat in a place that's "Not Gormet?" Really!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/16/19 20:35
Author: BuddPullman

Thank you Topfuel!  Good to know!

Date: 05/17/19 08:54
Author: davew833

I wondered where this car went. It was used as a diner in SLC in a few different places beginning about 25 years ago. The first place was some kind of BBQ joint that had the history of the car on the wall with pictures of the car being moved, (It was ex-UP, IIRC).

Date: 05/17/19 13:47
Author: Amtrak784

My buddy & I were gonna try it before riding Frontrunner, but it was too crowded and we went to Pepito's located in the middle of the Heritage Festival.  Great Cheese Steak Sandwhiches, Great Service & Quick, great everything, which was a great relief considering the different food establishments in & outside of Ogden all seem to have the common theme of slow service.

Date: 05/18/19 16:49
Author: agentatascadero

The "antidote" for fast food?  I recall, when I had a restaurant, there were folks who complained about the "slow" service of my cooked to order items....so, some of them started to patronize local delis......and found that the "fast" food served there took longer to be served up than at my restaurant.....so many of them came back, and a bit sheepishly so.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds