Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Passenger Trains > The Plan B train

Date: 06/07/19 10:13
The Plan B train
Author: atsf121

Had hoped to catch the westbound California Zephyr with the AEM-7's in tow yesterday.  But the flooding and or other problems made the train almost 6 hours late at one point, think it was 5:30 hrs late by Grand Junction when I went to bed last night.  Decided I wasn't getting up at 3am to try a picture in the dark.  When I woke up this morning and looked a 'Track a Train', I noticed the eastbound train was 3 hours late and would be coming through about breakfast time.  Since Amtrak is normally an after dark thing around here, I loaded the kids up in the van, took some photos, and then took them through the drive-through for breakfast.  A nice summer Friday.

Nathan

1 - A late #6 exiting the Jordan Narrows between Salt Lake and Provo, UT
2 - A nice wave from the crew, and a few toots on the horn for the kids
3 - And there she goes!  Had a few waves from the passengers as well

Date: 06/07/19 10:18
Re: The Plan B train

4 - Realized the north and south Frontrunners were due to pass at Lehi station so we waited a few more minutes for them, here's the southbound exiting the Jordan Narrows, it's a little late in it's race with the Zephyr - all those stops
5 - the northbound which doesn't accelerate too much north out of Lehi station because of the curves in the Jordan Narrows.  This train stopped for a minute just after I took my pictures, not sure why.  By the time we climbed in the van it was on the move again
6 - My oldest was too cool to get out of the van, so I had him take a video of the Zephyr.  The youngest kids sure got excited when the train honked for them.  It's a quiet zone now from Ogden to Provo so you don't hear train horns too often

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/07/19 10:18
Author: joemvcnj

Good that you are bringing them up with proper values and aware there is such a thing as a long distance passenger train in that neck of the woods
Did the kids ask you what is that lttle passener car behind the UTA loco ? 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/19 10:19 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/07/19 10:55
Author: MEKoch

Good looking family!

Date: 06/07/19 19:18

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good that you are bringing them up with proper
> values and aware there is such a thing as a long
> distance passenger train in that neck of the
> woods
> Did the kids ask you what is that lttle passener
> car behind the UTA loco ? 

Since that’s been the normal setup when Frontrunner started running through here they are just used to it. My 13 year old is starting to ask some good questions about the different types of cars. He realized that I have the same Superliners on my HO layout.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/07/19 19:19

MEKoch Wrote:
> Good looking family!

Thank you! They keep me on my toes, that’s for sure.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/07/19 22:00
Author: gobbl3gook

I've been in downtown Provo for the last month.  

Lots more honking than in past years, both Frontrunner and UP.  I like it.  It's been very quiet down here for the past couple years, and I quite liked the old way of horn sequences for all four crossings.  

Ted in UT

Date: 06/08/19 06:13

gobbl3gook Wrote:
> I've been in downtown Provo for the last
> month.  
>
> Lots more honking than in past years, both
> Frontrunner and UP.  I like it.  It's been very
> quiet down here for the past couple years, and I
> quite liked the old way of horn sequences for all
> four crossings.  
>
> Ted in UT

Are the horns for the 200 W crossing? Too many people not paying attention to the trains?

I used to like listening to the UP SW10’s with their unique horns late on summer nights when lived in Provo.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds