Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > Southwest Chief Heads Up

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/11/19 17:51
Southwest Chief Heads Up
Author: CameraManRailFan

Amtrak's Southwest Chief 3(10) departed Albuquerque, New Mexico this evening with an ex-ATSF GP60 #174 leading the train. Will be arriving into Los Angeles tomorrow. 

Date: 06/11/19 18:25
Re: Southwest Chief Heads Up
Author: dan

nice

Date: 06/11/19 19:23
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

Is that a sub-standard locomotive to be leading a train going all the way to LA? 

Date: 06/11/19 19:29
Author: dcfbalcoS1

It most likely would not be on the SWC if it was 'sub standard' in any way.

Date: 06/11/19 19:49
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>     It most likely would not be on the SWC if it
> was 'sub standard' in any way.
>  
So a GP60 is an appropriate locomotive for long distance transcon trips? A hogger starting his 8 hour shift would be happy to see it pull up? Another site albeit a foamer site said "All are currently in service as yard switchers or are employed in local service." Did the foamers get that wrong?

Date: 06/11/19 20:08

it was bought for fast trips to LA, not that much of a stretch, will see how it does, not even that much down

Date: 06/11/19 20:35
Author: PHall

Standard AAR control stand and air conditioning. What's the down side? Especially compared to the sloth like responce of a P40/42.

Date: 06/11/19 21:25
Author: ts1457

BNSF 174 built June 1988, 31 years ago as ATSF 4015. 

In situations like this you take what you can get. Good luck!

Date: 06/11/19 22:41
Author: coach

That EMD GP-60 is proabably saying "Come on, GE's--keep up with me--let's go!!!"

Date: 06/11/19 22:50

coach Wrote:
> That EMD GP-60 is proabably saying "Come on,
> GE's--keep up with me--let's go!!!"

Not really. The GP-60 is geared for 70 mph.

Nevermind me! I am just being contrary.

Date: 06/11/19 23:15

looks like it will 2 hours late now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/19 07:38 by dan.

Date: 06/11/19 23:25
Author: pdt

they were built for and used for high spped maun line freight service. A bit high in the hp/axle dept for switchers

Date: 06/12/19 04:10
Author: DJ-12

These units were standard power on Santa Fe’s hottest intermodal trains for years and are perfectly capable of helping move a short little Amtrak train over the railroad. I’d assume this was the only unit available and it was much preferable to the alternative if a multi hour delay was possibly in store if someone required a different unit.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/19 04:12 by DJ-12.

Date: 06/12/19 06:00
Author: KV1guy

Amazing once again seeing some these arm chair railroaders and their responses.

Date: 06/12/19 06:33

KV1guy Wrote:
> Amazing once again seeing some these arm chair
> railroaders and their responses.

If you are talking about me, I was assigning units like ATSF 4015 to mainline trains in the early nineties.

In the day, a GP60 would have been a great relief locomotive for the SWC. I saw a lot worse. You take what is available, you know. 

I got a kick out of seeing this assignment. Anythow, we should know by now whether it performed OK in perhaps its last chance for glory.

Date: 06/12/19 07:24
Author: 2ebright

Amtrak's #8, the eastbound Empire Builder looks pretty good in Super Fleet colors too. Dakota, MN, December 29, 2009.

Dick
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 06/12/19 09:01
Author: joemvcnj

Can that GP60 go over 70 MPH ? 

Date: 06/12/19 09:22

someone said no

Date: 06/12/19 09:29

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Can that GP60 go over 70 MPH ? 

Not by the rules (at least during my Santa Fe years). You could go a bit faster before you trip overspeed.

Date: 06/12/19 11:29
Author: CM80-46

There is a possible kids book here, just alittle updated with a 710 prime mover! 
Who operates the unit, Amtrak engineer or the BNSF crew they took the unit from? What are the Union rules for pay? If the freight hogger is at the throttle?
When I was at Essex last month and left this iPad in the sleeper, #8 returned it the next morning. They really didnt stop, just slowed, the engineer was making noise for two football fields,the Conductor handed me the iPad, at a walking pace,I handed him a boxed slice of Huckleberry pie with creme’, he had a big smile! Those employees out there know customer service! And he told the hogger,” throttle up #8, we’re done here!” The hogger must have shoved her into notch 8, those old GE gals put on a show, not quite Alco style, but enough exhaust to please any Alco lover,and hustled # 8 outta there! Ever in Whitefish, great people inside working for Amtrak! The Hertz rental guy is a hoot too!
CM80.46

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1471 seconds